IGNORED

Tell me about MP3 players

Link

Does anybody here use a portable dedicated music player (instead of just your phone)? I want to buy one and I’m looking for recommendations.

Here are the features and functions I’m looking for. 

Priority:
-Button controls (not touchscreen)
-Headphone jack
Wanted but not necessary:
-FLAC compatibility
-Album art or a VFD-type display, obviously you can’t have both

Phone and spotify (paid) has probably been the easiest and best solution for me in my many years of gadgets and music. Although I did see a video somewhere recently if someone hacking an iPod classic to have Spotify which may interest you: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2021/2/1/22260540/ipod-mod-portable-spotify-player-click-wheel-project

The ability to just not have to manage music on a computer and then sync to a device makes it so much easier. I create playlists on Spotify and move songs in and out as needed in one step is awesome. 

Edited by a3quit4s

a couple of years ago, i needed a high capacity MP3 player, as my iPod Classic had died for the last time, and i was tired of trying to get refurbished ones to last more than a couple months. i did a bunch of research and settled on one like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A55-Walkman-Hi-Res-Moonlight/dp/B08286VLNB/ref=sr_1_1?c=ts&keywords=MP3%2B%26%2BMP4%2BPlayers&qid=1698427429&refinements=p_89%3ASony&s=electronics&sr=1-1&ts_id=1264866011&th=1

which fit all of my needs perfectly. it gets plenty of use and is still running flawlessly. I don't know if it will work for you, because it is mainly a touchscreen. but possibly worth checking out.

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about getting a Surfans F20, until I read a couple of disappointing reviews. It’s not out of the running. 

IMG_4176.jpeg.9d862c52b8236e5841cfd4056437c67d.jpeg

I also wsnt to know about a FiiO X3.

An old iPod is a good idea. I’ve had one before. The Sony Walkman looks cool. Maybe I could go with a touchscreen… what’s the best media manager (for any platform)? I don’t like iTunes’ sync process. 

Spotify doesn’t work for my use case. I don’t blame people for using it. My problem is data plan and also content - lots of stuff I like isn’t there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Link said:

I’ve been thinking about getting a Surfans F20, until I read a couple of disappointing reviews. It’s not out of the running. 

IMG_4176.jpeg.9d862c52b8236e5841cfd4056437c67d.jpeg

I also wsnt to know about a FiiO X3.

An old iPod is a good idea. I’ve had one before. The Sony Walkman looks cool. Maybe I could go with a touchscreen… what’s the best media manager (for any platform)? I don’t like iTunes’ sync process. 

Spotify doesn’t work for my use case. I don’t blame people for using it. My problem is data plan and also content - lots of stuff I like isn’t there. 

EDIT nvm can't be touch screen.

I'd do a iPod. I just bought a bigger one for a couple bucks and it works perfectly. Only issue is the gb as the base models were like 4gb or something tiny by modern standards

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

I know it's not what you are looking for, but I also am a fan of Spotify on a phone.  I created a 15 hour playlist for our annual drive to Florida (approximately 12 hour car ride) and I use the playlist on shuffle any time I'm in the car.  My wife's van has Bluetooth built in, and I've added aftermarket Bluetooth devices to my car and truck (which both pre-date Bluetooth).  I would avoid Amazon Music.  It's absolute garbage.  

• Like 1

Ive been using 5th gen, maybe 5.5 gen...the first gen Ipod video since 2005/6ish. I swapped out the hard drive with an adapter board that takes an SD card internally. Makes it a fraction of the weight and I have a 256gb card in it I think. Massive compared to the old 60gig that was stock.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Social Team · Posted

@Link If you want to avoid Apple products, no touch screens, no special programs to use the MP3, you want FLAC and for the player to not be a crappy DAC.... the South Korean company Cowon is it.  I've bought 3 MP3 players form them over like 15 years.  They still work so I can vouch for their durability/quality.  My only complaint was the fact that some of the older models used a "non-standard" USB plug.  Turns out it was a common plug in South Korean.  They have some products that have no touch screens and some with touch screens but buttons that can control the player.  Looks like they are hard to find new so maybe no longer a viable option for you.

I use Fiio DACs and have no complaints.  I've heard many people say they are a decent high-end MP3 player on a budget.  M3 Pro does cover FLAC type along with a shit ton more lossless file types.  But fuck if I can find anywhere to buy it 😅   Looks like this product is old as reviews are from 2020.  The company is based in China so they know there are people who are selling knockoffs and they do include security codes to double check your product is legit on their website.  Very helpful if you don't buy directly from their AliExpress company website.

If you want a button only mp3 player to play FLAC files then I'd say look for older models made by Cowon or Fiio.  Cowon has been around a lot longer and I don't think there is any issue with fakes.  

• Thanks 1

Social Team · Posted
On 10/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, DefaultGen said:

Things never got better than the late 2000s iPod Nano/Shuffle 🥰 Everyone's pockets must've got bigger and belts got stronger since then, because tech is so fat now. I miss when slim and tiny was a main selling point of gadgets. The FLAC players sure look like they bring on the chonk.

FLAC isn't the reason for the chunk.  It's that most FLAC players are also meant to drive high Ohm headphones.  My Cowon players are pretty small and all of them played FLAC but also I was just driving earbuds so no issue with having enough oomph to drive high Ohm cans.

• Like 1

I knew there would be someone here knowing what I’m after. “If you want this this and that here’s some things” you hit a bunch of my criteria FH 

18 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

If you want to avoid Apple products

Just one clarification, it’s not Apple products I’m avoiding, only iTunes. 

Edited by Link