IGNORED

Top 10 N64 vs PS1

Nintegageo

Editorials Team · Posted

I think it's close if you are only looking at top 10.

Top 50 though?  PS1 starts to pull away in major fashion.  Top 100?  Even worse.

I mean, what's the 100th best PS1 game?  Something like Omega Boost or Point Blank?  What's the 100th best N64 game?  Some sports game that no one cares about, probably.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Anyone in here that would actually try to argue that the N64 library is even close to PSX is a nutter or a liar.  While I was playing the legendarily epic genre defining Final Fantasy VII you were playing…the Legend of Zelda Fairy Flute Adventure.  I’ll just try to console myself over here with this Metal Gear Solid. Alas!  I’ll never know the joys of Cruising USA!  Oh cruel fate!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah, I always wondered what is up with N64 fanboys??? I mean you know what I perfectly get it. I also had Nintendo 64 as a little kid and enjoyed the hell out of many titles but there aren't that many of them. PS1 has tons and tons of very good titles but also a shitton of very cheaply made sludge crap that dominated demo disks. What is this PS1 game library is 4x bigger than N64s in North America?? What I want to say I agree N64 has like 30 extremely very good games and everyone already knows what these titles are and this is it.......

I honestly doubt many of us would have played enough games on both platforms to do a genuine comparison of the top 10 for each side. You would probably have to play around 20-30 of the top-rated titles to get a feel of the top 10 for the respective platforms. That’s a lot of gaming hours to be had!

Personally, I played a lot more of the PS1 but I definitely could say I’ve played enough of the N64 to appreciate its qualities. I would say the top 10 for the PS1 is not necessarily better than the N64, but definitely a lot more variety. The PS1 had the advantage of more memory space and so RPGs and action games with more cut-scenes added a layer of immersion the N64 just couldn’t do. The PS1 also had the better 2D games by a mile with tons of great arcade shooters, platformers and fighting. On the flip side, the N64 kills it with the 3D platformer genre.

Top 5 (based on personal experience)

PS1 

1. Castlevania Symphony

2. Street Fighter Alpha 2

3. Resident Evil 1/2

4. Einhander

5. FF VII

N64

1. Mario 64

2. Zelda 64

3. Diddy Kong Racing

4. Mario Kart 64

5. Blast Corps

On 10/5/2023 at 2:39 PM, GPX said:

I honestly doubt many of us would have played enough games on both platforms to do a genuine comparison of the top 10 for each side.

That would be me...

N64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
GoldenEye 007
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Party 1-3 (tie)
Zelda Majora's Mask
Banjo-Kazooie
F-Zero X
Perfect Dark
Super Mario 64

PS1
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy VII
R-Type Delta
Devil Dice

...um, haven't played much else...

Various Arcade Stuff (ex: Konami Arcade Classics, Q*Bert/Frogger remakes)
Looney Tunes Sheep Raider

Moderator · Posted

I’d give top 10 to N64, but admittedly haven’t played many on either system. 

N64: Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, all the Mario Party’s, THPS 1&2 (played them on N64), Mario 64, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Perfect Dark.

PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Lunar Silver Star, Twisted Metal 1&2, NFL Blitz, Medal of Honor & Underground, Unholy Wars, Worms Armageddon. 

• Like 1

It's a tough choice for me.  My top four choices for N64 probably beats anything on PS1, but there's maybe 20+ PS1 games that would beat out anything else on N64.  Top 5 would go to N64, no contest.  Top 10 I think I'd have to go with PS1 since I can't come up with 10 N64 games that I think are exceptional.

For N64, there's a four way tie for first.  I couldn't choose one.  Everything else is in no particular order.

1. Super Mario 64
1. Wave Race 64
1. Mario Kart 64
1. Star Fox 64
Sin and Punishment
Super Smash Bros
Pokemon Snap
Hybrid Heaven
Uchan Nanchan no Hono no Challenge Denryu Ira Ira Bo
Pilotwings 64

PS1 is in no particular order.

Final Fantasy Tactics