IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Yie Ar Kung Fu

BeaIank

21 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Planning for the tournament has begun.

So I had an idea in that regard. Would probably be better if we were to do it to start next year, but Ill lay it out for comments. 

I think it would be cool if the tournament comprised of a handful of games we played during the season. Those could be selected in secret before the season starts if we are worried about giving particular players an edge. Or not if you wanted to choose games that drew the most participation, the closest score results, or maybe a game you feel like has real quality that the field just overlooked. 

But this would give a real incentive for players to participate each week and actually get good at the games rather than throw up a participation score. 

It would also be a really fun reveal which games will be included. Imagine this year if it was revealed that we were replaying rad racer for example when son many of us got into it in the season and all the top scores were right there. I know I am not the only one that felt like "if I just had ONE MORE day!!" Tourney could give that second chance. 

And with the tourney falling around thanksgiving, it would allow someone who participated loyally in the season BUT is short on time because of travel/family obligations to meaningfuly participate because he/she is already proficient from participating during the season. 

Just food for thought. Take it or leave it as you wish

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

So I had an idea in that regard. Would probably be better if we were to do it to start next year, but Ill lay it out for comments. 

I think it would be cool if the tournament comprised of a handful of games we played during the season. Those could be selected in secret before the season starts if we are worried about giving particular players an edge. Or not if you wanted to choose games that drew the most participation, the closest score results, or maybe a game you feel like has real quality that the field just overlooked. 

But this would give a real incentive for players to participate each week and actually get good at the games rather than throw up a participation score. 

It would also be a really fun reveal which games will be included. Imagine this year if it was revealed that we were replaying rad racer for example when son many of us got into it in the season and all the top scores were right there. I know I am not the only one that felt like "if I just had ONE MORE day!!" Tourney could give that second chance. 

And with the tourney falling around thanksgiving, it would allow someone who participated loyally in the season BUT is short on time because of travel/family obligations to meaningfuly participate because he/she is already proficient from participating during the season. 

I'd take it a step further and say drop the tournament. We already have a shortened season and quick run weekly contests. I don't know how many players want to go all out for three weeks after the season anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'd take it a step further and say drop the tournament. We already have a shortened season and quick run weekly contests. I don't know how many players want to go all out for three weeks after the season anymore. 

We can't drop the tournament until I finally win one.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:
3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Why not do the same and make the tournament quicker, more exciting and less fatiguing?  I still think the idea of playing a different game every day/night 11pm - 11pm for 6 days would be very exciting.  Every game contest ends at 11pm vgs time and the next game/rules gets revealed.  I think the 2 weeks off that we're going to be having in between the regular season and the tournament is a good idea for reducing fatigue.  

@NESfiendAlthough its exciting to get some fresh games in the tournament and in spite of the reality that when I've gone all out on a game for a week I generally feel very done with it by week's end, you may be on to something, particularly with respect to how we've been playing much of the time this year with the shorter runs which has been good for reducing burnout.  But it has also left large portions of great games still usable.  Here's a brief list of games from the 22 and 23 seasons in that regard:

Mega Man II   -   ( Levels left over: Dr. Wily Stages w/Boss Rush) [accessible by code]

Lode Runner   -   (Levels left over: 31 - 50) [accessible by in game level select]

Galaxy 5000   -   (Levels left over: Juper, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) [level select by secret code]

Flappy   -   (Levels left over:  I forget exactly, hundreds IIRC) [again IIRC there was some way to level select]

Wario's Woods   -   (Different Mode: There's a sort of Boss Rush Mode that we didn't play that would probably make a good speedrun.)  {I was surprised more people didn't take part this week last year.  I'd never played the game before except to test it out when I acquired it and I was hooked right away.  It quickly became one of my fav. puzzlers.)

Tetris   -   (Different Mode: B-Mode at highest level for fastest completion)

Super Mario Bros.   -   (Later Levels: Have everyone play the first 2 stages to get to the warp zone and then play world 2 or 3 or 4 etc. for points or speedrun.)

Ninja Gaiden 2   -   (Later Levels: not sure if there is a way to level select in this one...)

Ski Or Die   -   (Additional Competition Category: We played everything except the Ski Jump)

Solomon's Key   -   (Later Levels etc.: Don't have an idea off the top of my mind but w/a game as vast as this one the sky's probably the limit.)

Battletoads & Double Dragon   -   (Later Levels) [I don't know of any level select here]

Tiny Toon Adventures   -   (Later Levels) [I haven't checked to see if there is any level select]

Rad Racer   -   (Earlier Levels: 4/5 for example) [In game level select]

Yo Noid!   -   (Later Levels) [I haven't checked to see if there is any level select]

A combination of Fresh new stuff with new material from a few that that we already played would be very cool and perhaps motivational as well.

51 minutes ago, PII said:

Why not do the same and make the tournament quicker, more exciting and less fatiguing?  I still think the idea of playing a different game every day/night 11pm - 11pm for 6 days would be very exciting.  Every game contest ends at 11pm vgs time and the next game/rules gets revealed.  I think the 2 weeks off that we're going to be having in between the regular season and the tournament is a good idea for reducing fatigue.  

@NESfiendAlthough its exciting to get some fresh games in the tournament and in spite of the reality that when I've gone all out on a game for a week I generally feel very done with it by week's end, you may be on to something, particularly with respect to how we've been playing much of the time this year with the shorter runs which has been good for reducing burnout.  But it has also left large portions of great games still usable.  Here's a brief list of games from the 22 and 23 seasons in that regard:

Mega Man II   -   ( Levels left over: Dr. Wily Stages w/Boss Rush) [accessible by code]

Lode Runner   -   (Levels left over: 31 - 50) [accessible by in game level select]

Galaxy 5000   -   (Levels left over: Juper, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) [level select by secret code]

Flappy   -   (Levels left over:  I forget exactly, hundreds IIRC) [again IIRC there was some way to level select]

Wario's Woods   -   (Different Mode: There's a sort of Boss Rush Mode that we didn't play that would probably make a good speedrun.)  {I was surprised more people didn't take part this week last year.  I'd never played the game before except to test it out when I acquired it and I was hooked right away.  It quickly became one of my fav. puzzlers.)

Tetris   -   (Different Mode: B-Mode at highest level for fastest completion)

Super Mario Bros.   -   (Later Levels: Have everyone play the first 2 stages to get to the warp zone and then play world 2 or 3 or 4 etc. for points or speedrun.)

Ninja Gaiden 2   -   (Later Levels: not sure if there is a way to level select in this one...)

Ski Or Die   -   (Additional Competition Category: We played everything except the Ski Jump)

Solomon's Key   -   (Later Levels etc.: Don't have an idea off the top of my mind but w/a game as vast as this one the sky's probably the limit.)

Battletoads & Double Dragon   -   (Later Levels) [I don't know of any level select here]

Tiny Toon Adventures   -   (Later Levels) [I haven't checked to see if there is any level select]

Rad Racer   -   (Earlier Levels: 4/5 for example) [In game level select]

Yo Noid!   -   (Later Levels) [I haven't checked to see if there is any level select]

A combination of Fresh new stuff with new material from a few that that we already played would be very cool and perhaps motivational as well.

A game per night might be an issue for people that can't play daily. The three week tournament is luck of the draw so if anything, I'd be good with a standard weekly contest with a mystery game.

3 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I for real have had a busy work week. People getting sick and drooling like flies.  
I am getting some OT though. So that’s nice…

I've had a rough go of it the last few months. It looks like I'll finish in the top 3 on the overall leaderboard even though I missed five weeks. After 11 years, it's an accomplishment that I can still be competitive at that level.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've had a rough go of it the last few months. It looks like I'll finish in the top 3 on the overall leaderboard even though I missed five weeks. After 11 years, it's an accomplishment that I can still be competitive at that level.

I love you man! Only person I know that could turn real life events into something contest related. The true OG of this competition.😁