IGNORED

5-screw Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!!

beg345

I'm familiar with this particular cart (the suspect one), and the pictures you posted above are the same ones I have saved to my computer from the ebay listing.  I had my eye on it for a while, but decided I thought it was a label transplant once the ebay seller posted more pictures of it.  If it is a transplant, I highly doubt the dude you bought it from was the one who did it, and I've bought several nes variants from him that were all legit, and he usually hooked me up with a discount when I bought several games at once.  He's a good dude.  this one looks bad though.  the MTPO shows up in a 5 screw with the first edition label and the third edition label, and every 5 screw I've seen with this 2nd edition label has looked like a clear label transplant to me.

Everything looks legit on the other one though 👍.

Edited by wyansas
  • Like 1

If it's me and I'm buying, I care more about whether or not that label is legit on the shell than whether the board matches inside. I would've never opened it to check chip dates. Maybe matching numbers matters now?

First one looks legit, second I would have to see in person, but the pictures make me think it's suspect. Always hard to tell, but in person I'd be able to tell you right away.

Edited by Ferris Bueller
Leaner text

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't say.  It came to me in this box from (what I assume) to be the original owner.

The cart doesn't have any Rev-A marking and neither does the box.  No date code on the flap.

Isn't 1987 the earliest date for a MT Punch Out?  Do you have a 5 screw in your collection?

PXL_20230821_023443125.jpg

PXL_20230821_023431350.MP.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 12:23 PM, Code Monkey said:

Wait, this doesn't make any sense. How did a white bullet label get onto a 3 screw cartridge with a 1987 board inside? All of this seems mismatched.

Because the date on the board is the manufacturing date, not the release date.  And being that the 3 screw switch happened only a couple months after the game was released, it stands to reason that there were a few surplus 1987 manufactured boards in the 1988 queue.  This is exactly why collecting every variant is impossible.

On 8/20/2023 at 8:38 PM, dogbowl said:

I couldn't say.  It came to me in this box from (what I assume) to be the original owner.

The cart doesn't have any Rev-A marking and neither does the box.  No date code on the flap.

Isn't 1987 the earliest date for a MT Punch Out?  Do you have a 5 screw in your collection?

PXL_20230821_023443125.jpg

PXL_20230821_023431350.MP.jpg

Wow, super cool. I have 7 different variants of this game and I'm still missing this one. So it seems like this used left over chips, box and cartridge label but used a new cartridge shell. Likely an early 1988 release from the last stack of media.

So that would mean there were 2 print runs (at least) of the white bullets. Then third print is orange bullets, no REV-A and fourth print is REV-A.

Both of these copies are a bit sketchy.

The first one is the wrong label (Way too late) and the board as well is a little too late to be a factory 5 screw. However this may be a repair shell for a hand repair for a 90 warranty replacement. (Sometimes these were cracked in packaging or sometimes a user had broken the shell but the board was fine. At this time in first quarter through 3rd quarter 1988 the repair depots used extra 5 screw shells to replace NES 1st party game shells when they were sent in.) The label is probably too late to even be a repair shell I think, but the repair depots always had weird label variations, and the repair could have occurred anywhere within 1988 reasonably due to game hitting shelves in February likely, and then shelf time, plus up to 3 months after purchase. I am most likely to think this one is legit due to the crisp label, label corners, and perfect alignment.

The second copy has a board from the right era, but it still has the wrong label for a factory 5 screw. (orange bullets and not white ones). However, it is possible that this is an early repair cart of the 2nd label version. The 2nd label could have easily been placed buy a repair depot on a copy with the first board version sent in for repair. But this repair would likely have to happen within that short period between early November 1987 and late December 1987 or early Jan 1988 based on the label version. The label corner on the front gives me pause in claiming this is a legit repair cart instead of a label peel, because that is the tell tale corner that is usually messed up when people try that. However I will give it this, there is no glue ticking out of the sides like other examples and the corner isn't curled like it often is with label peels. Also the repair depots were notorious for having less than perfect glue jobs, usually with the top label being mostly unglued due to a light application by hand. This corner raise could be due to a gluing issue, it looks right anyways. But without having the copy in my hand I would be less likely to trust this one, myself.

• 3 weeks later...