IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Pinball

BeaIank

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have faith that barring a perfect score and/or an incredibly RNG-based scoring system (which would be awful for a competition), everyone has it in them to improve over the week. I wouldn't say there's NO way it could happen cuz there's gotchas to doing so, but I disagree with your statement completely. 

I just see nothing positive at all about sniping, personally. It's boring to me.

You didn’t say that. Bearcat did. 

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm just saying if posted scores could be broken at will, I wouldn't be able to post a score on a Sunday and have it hold up all week. A winning score isn't getting beaten by posting it early. 

But then he said good point to this 

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

My mindset is that if you have to hide your score to win, it wasn't your best score, so you're really just cheating yourself.

So if he agrees with your point that hiding your score from the community means it wasn’t your best than he can’t agree with himself that he could post his best “winning” score on Sunday….. as the community wouldn’t have had a chance to improve it somehow….

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have faith that barring a perfect score and/or an incredibly RNG-based scoring system (which would be awful for a competition), everyone has it in them to improve over the week. I wouldn't say there's NO way it could happen cuz there's gotchas to doing so, but I disagree with your statement completely. 

I just see nothing positive at all about sniping, personally. It's boring to me.

I do agree that you can absolutely improve your score over the span of the week. you certainly don’t need the other players knowing your current best to do that though. 

you know through this discussion I am seeing your angle more. How it could be fun to talk strategies and the sort. It’s not for me but I can see how some would enjoy that.

I do find it interesting that the snipers never have an issue with the way non snipers post their scores. But snipers seem to get a bit of negative energy from others. Why is that? I am completely fine with the way you post your scores (that’s not to say I haven’t cried about sharing strats but that’s nothing to do with the way you post your score) it’s never bothered me.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Driving each other to work harder as a community, for one. Friendly competition, pushing to be our best together, and creating camaraderie and rivalries. 

If everyone posted their scores as they got better and better we'd be able to see each other improve and grow, we'd create mini-competitions amongst ourselves, the thread would be vibrant and alive, especially if people openly discussed strategies. It'd still be a competition and skill/implementation would be the deciding factor in any case.

Contrasted with if everyone just posted 5 minutes to the deadline, where we'd honestly likely see the whole contest just die.

That's basically my take on it as well.

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Bearcat-Doug for me, it really doesn’t matter how good of a score you post. Playing against some insane good nes players in here has taught me that you might as well shoot for a perfect game. 

So this is actually a lot of similar reasons I dont like the sniping. I see the players here as legends. I dont expect to beat either doug, or you the weeks you give a shit. But its fun to see where my score is at in comparison to the big guns. If Im making progress toward a doug score, it keeps me coming back to the game. Even if its slow. He put up 177, I feel like a 100 is in sight, so give it a few more games. If I dont get points, oh well. I got 150 to dougs 177? Thats a good showing. I make a podium in this crowd? Fuck yeah

If no one posts til sunday, I dont get an idea of what is actually achievable. I dont know if Im getting anywhere, so a game Id rather play gets more appealing

• Like 1

I think posting scores early and often is the best thing for this competition in terms of thread liveliness, improving strategies and overall gameplay improvement among competitors throughout the week.  HOWEVER, if it's a week that I am 100% trying to win, I will snipe at the last second so as to not put a target on my back.  So I'm kind of a "do as I say, not as I do" type of guy in the argument...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I think posting scores early and often is the best thing for this competition in terms of thread liveliness, improving strategies and overall gameplay improvement among competitors throughout the week.  HOWEVER, if it's a week that I am 100% trying to win, I will snipe at the last second so as to not put a target on my back.  So I'm kind of a "do as I say, not as I do" type of guy in the argument...

I like having the target on me. Any week you can get a win around here is an accomplishment, but it seem like an even bigger deal when you know people were shooting for your score all week and still couldn't beat it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

So this is actually a lot of similar reasons I dont like the sniping. I see the players here as legends. I dont expect to beat either doug, or you the weeks you give a shit. But its fun to see where my score is at in comparison to the big guns. If Im making progress toward a doug score, it keeps me coming back to the game. Even if its slow. He put up 177, I feel like a 100 is in sight, so give it a few more games. If I dont get points, oh well. I got 150 to dougs 177? Thats a good showing. I make a podium in this crowd? Fuck yeah

If no one posts til sunday, I dont get an idea of what is actually achievable. I dont know if Im getting anywhere, so a game Id rather play gets more appealing

This is why I post early. I want to know that I got the win with everyone doing their best to beat me. Sitting on what I'm fairly sure is a winning score all week and winning handily by posting at the last minute just doesn't feel the same. It is a competition after all. I want players to keep coming back trying to beat my score and I'll be the first to congratulate them if they do it because they were the better player that week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I like having the target on me. Any week you can get a win around here is an accomplishment, but it seem like an even bigger deal when you know people were shooting for your score all week and still couldn't beat it.

Kinda like telling everyone your going to win the shooter crown at the beginning of the year and wrapping it up early making a victory lap of the last game in the genre?

ric flair GIF

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Bert used to post last minute all the time and it never pushed me away. I respected it and it made me want to be better in order to have something for him on the last day.

This is fine in my book.  Motivation for me (though I'm never, EVER near the top) is even higher when I'm sweating bullets imagining that killer 500k score someone is holding back.  Fear of the unknown > Fear of the known.  As such, I work harder when I feel like I got a chance.

21 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've posted winning scores on the first day. If it's a game I'm used to, it doesn't take me long to put up something solid.

Personally, I see this as a peacocking move (and there's nothing wrong with that.)  Does a game come up one week that you've loved and felt like you've mastered too the point where you could sleep through a 1CC?  Post your best score Sunday Night and enjoy the rest of the week, prepping for the week to come, while everyone else quivers!

I mean... I'd consider that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RH said:

This is fine in my book.  Motivation for me (though I'm never, EVER near the top) is even higher when I'm sweating bullets imagining that killer 500k score someone is holding back.  Fear of the unknown > Fear of the known.  As such, I work harder when I feel like I got a chance.

Personally, I see this as a peacocking move (and there's nothing wrong with that.)  Does a game come up one week that you've loved and felt like you've mastered too the point where you could sleep through a 1CC?  Post your best score Sunday Night and enjoy the rest of the week, prepping for the week to come, while everyone else quivers!

I mean... I'd consider that.

I've been playing since the 2012 season and I used to show off my skills like a mid 90s Shawn Michaels back in the day. In similar fashion, I took a few years off and came back with a milder, less antagonistic attitude. Now I'm like the older veteran, trying to give my best performance, but trying to elevate the other players in the process.

• Haha 1