IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Pinball

BeaIank

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Man, all this is making me want to ditch pinball for rad racer. Thats probably happening in about 5 minutes

That's pretty much what I'm doing. I already managed a 67k score so I should be good to go when the contest gets here.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

If you had a power glove, you would know that it functions like hot garbage and would quiver in fear at the thought of this possibility 

For some reason I got a U Force for Christmas as a kid one year. I couldn't get it to do anything. Ironically, I ended up breaking it when I punched the front panel in a futile attempt to play Punch Out with it like in the TV commercial.

24 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I hope you get the win this week if I don't. I tried again all morning and couldn't bump my score any.

Once you're on the bottom half of the playfield, if rng wants you to lose a ball, you'll lose a ball. It'll bounce from the bumpers right down the side or between the flippers with nothing you can do about it. There's some skill but also a bunch of luck involved. I can try a bunch of times and keep losing because of some random BS.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Once you're on the bottom half of the playfield, if rng wants you to lose a ball, you'll lose a ball. It'll bounce from the bumpers right down the side or between the flippers with nothing you can do about it. There's some skill but also a bunch of luck involved. I can try a bunch of times and keep losing because of some random BS.

Pisses me off when you've got the side savers and the ball goes in, uses it up, bounces out, then bounces right back into the side. The game seriously just flips you off like that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I basically just gave up after having a half dozen balls go down between the flippers with nothing I could do about it. That's where the lack of a tilt function really gets on my nerves.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Pisses me off when you've got the side savers and the ball goes in, uses it up, bounces out, then bounces right back into the side. The game seriously just flips you off like that. 

It flips me off on the title screen when I realize this game is 40 years old and I'm still older than it is.

• Haha 2

On 8/3/2023 at 2:43 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've never used one, but even the kid in The Wizard couldn't make it look fun.

Disagree there. He made it look AWESOME. I asked for one for christmas. My dad tried it out at KB toys and said it was junk. One of the only things I ever asked for and didnt get. I was livid. 

Years later, I bought a used one as an adult. Tried it out. Badly wanted to like it. It doesnt work for shit. Called dad and apologized for my childhood shenanigans. 

I took it to 30th anniversary wizard convention and got it signed by the wizard himself, Luke Edwards. Luke is like the nicest guy you will ever meet btw. So at least its a cool part of my gameroom. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Disagree there. He made it look AWESOME. I asked for one for christmas. My dad tried it out at KB toys and said it was junk. One of the only things I ever asked for and didnt get. I was livid. 

Years later, I bought a used one as an adult. Tried it out. Badly wanted to like it. It doesnt work for shit. Called dad and apologized for my childhood shenanigans. 

I took it to 30th anniversary wizard convention and got it signed by the wizard himself, Luke Edwards. Luke is like the nicest guy you will ever meet btw. So at least its a cool part of my gameroom. 

At least you didn't get it signed by Jackie Vinson that used it it the movie.

47 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

673155.jpg?b64lines=IEhBISBUSElTIElTIFRI

• Haha 2

New score posted.  Man, I was really hoping to break 200k.

I will probably try more but considering how long it too get there, this might be it for me.

Considering this game came out in 1983, I think it’s Ana amazing pinball game.  It is limited in size on the cartridge, and you can tell that some reasonable thought was put into this game to make it feel like a pinball and all of the little components were considered to make it feel like a basic EM. No, it’s not perfect but again, this was 1983 and barely out of the era of 2600 games.

This was one of the first games my grandpa bought for his NES.  I played it a lot and I think I enjoy it more now that I did as a kid because I understand the bit of strategy you can use.  I’m sure it’s not the best NES Pinball game but considering it’s historic place in Nintendo’s game line-up, I think it’s fantastic.

• Like 2