IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Pinball

BeaIank

16 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've tried the last two days and the best score I got was 158k. You just might have another win this week.

Eh. We will see. Haven’t had much of a chance to play much the rest of the week. Got myself a “temporary” promotion at work. So I’ve been trying to figure all that shit out. I do have tomorrow off though. So I plan on playing again some more tonight and tomorrow. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Eh. We will see. Haven’t had much of a chance to play much the rest of the week. Got myself a “temporary” promotion at work. So I’ve been trying to figure all that shit out. I do have tomorrow off though. So I plan on playing again some more tonight and tomorrow. 

I'll give it one more shot tomorrow morning. I'd like to hit 200k, but if not, I hope you get the win this week.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

At least we have a friendly rivalry unlike me and Bert where we legit hated each other like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I’d like to hit 300.

The fact that you have that in your sights makes me less remiss that I haven't been able to put in the time. Played some this morning and started to really get the rhythm. Started really having fun with this. At the pool with my family scheming when I can find an hour or 2 before its over. 200 seems really possible. 300 sounds like madness

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The fact that you have that in your sights makes me less remiss that I haven't been able to put in the time. Played some this morning and started to really get the rhythm. Started really having fun with this. At the pool with my family scheming when I can find an hour or 2 before its over. 200 seems really possible. 300 sounds like madness

I don’t know. Getting to 190k took a decent amount of time. I think this game is all about patience with just a bit of luck. 

29 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Breaking Bad Trailer GIF

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RH said:

This was one of the first games my grandpa bought for his NES.  I played it a lot and I think I enjoy it more now that I did as a kid because I understand the bit of strategy you can use.  I'm sure it’s not the best NES Pinball game but considering it’s historic place in Nintendo’s game line-up, I think it’s fantastic.

I feel the same way.  I think I like pinball games in general better now than I did back in the day.

I played this a bit last night and tonight.  I broke 400K last night, but only got around 300K tonight.  I'll give it another go tomorrow night.

• Wow! 1

On 8/2/2023 at 9:11 AM, Richardhead said:

Can’t believe all the snipe hate.

Fine.

score updated. Hope this brings Doug back to play more this week. We can battle it out for 3rd or 4th place 😂

Looks like we both made the top 3. I thought you had the win this week, but I'll take 3rd place considering how close the scores behind me were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Looks like we both made the top 3. I thought you had the win this week, but I'll take 3rd place considering how close the scores behind me were.

Congrats on your score too and I still can't believe that I was kept off the podium by a few thousand.  I tried really hard but I just couldn't beat that bar this week.  Oh well, here comes Tiny Toons!

14 minutes ago, RH said:

Congrats on your score too and I still can't believe that I was kept off the podium by a few thousand.  I tried really hard but I just couldn't beat that bar this week.  Oh well, here comes Tiny Toons!

Thanks! I tried a few more times, but I never got any better than 158k. I thought you might come back and pass me, but I feel lucky enough that I held onto 3rd place.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:07 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

As good as you are at NES pinball games I thought you might roll the score. Almost 547k on one ball is still amazing.

Thanks.  I think rolling the score is doable.  I made multiple mistakes in this attempt, so I wouldn't blame losing the ball entirely on bad luck, at least not on this run.  Maybe I'll try it again someday.

7 hours ago, Red said:

Thanks.  I think rolling the score is doable.  I made multiple mistakes in this attempt, so I wouldn't blame losing the ball entirely on bad luck, at least not on this run.  Maybe I'll try it again someday.

It looks like you had 1.3 million playing until game over back in 2016. You probably could've hit 2 million this time if you had been able to play a full run.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

What is the trick to getting these very high scores? How come when I play the ball always eventually chaotically bounces between the bumpers and then shoots down the side or between the paddles with nothing I can do about it?

Edited by mbd39

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

What is the trick to getting these very high scores? How come when I play the ball always eventually chaotically bounces between the bumpers and then shoots down the side or between the paddles with nothing I can do about it?

It took me a lot of hitting the reset button until I could get a run in where I was able to flip the cards to get the center stopper and hatching the eggs for the side stoppers. Your score was only about 15k less than mine and 22k short of Rich's, so you must have been on the right track.

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

As @Bearcat-Doug said, it's good to start the game with the center stopper on the lower screen.  Don't even try to start scoring on the top screen at the beginning.  Let the ball fall to the lower screen and flip all the cards first.  You can sometimes aim the ball to fall through to flip the jack, queen and king, but I haven't found a reliable way to flip the 10 or the ace.

Keeping the side stoppers is important too.  If you lose one of them, it's usually a good idea to try to get it back before trying to get back to the upper screen.  Doing so can be risky though.  Depend on which stage each of the eggs/chicks are in, I may not bother and I'll just shoot for the upper screen and hope for the best when the ball falls back down.

Other than that, it's just getting a feel for how to hit the ball to minimize the risk of it going somewhere you don't want to.  Always be mindful of where the moving bar in the upper level is when taking a shot.  It's usually good to try to hold the ball with your flipper so you can make a more controlled shot, but be careful when trying to catch when it's moving fast.  Doing so may just make it bounce where you don't want it.

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

• The topic was unpinned