IGNORED

Final Fantasy 16 is looking good

fox

Just checked out the demo.  Getting back to a more serious medieval setting, full of castles and noble houses, I really felt the Game of Thrones and Ivalice influence.  The character models are some of the best I have seen in any game.  The music and monster design feels like a love letter to fans of the series.

While I would prefer a turn based game, as an action rpg, it really plays like Devil May Cry with magic instead of guns.  You have your stringer attack, aerial combos, and devil trigger.  It flows really well.

The big summon battles are a highlight as well.  I didn't expect Kaiju battles in my final fantasy game, but I'll take it.

Keeping an eye on the reviews but seems really positive so far around 90%
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/final-fantasy-xvi

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I'm really looking forward to it.  I have it pre-ordered, and can't wait to check it out.  I'm skipping the demo because I'll be playing the full game sometime after it arrives.  I thought the trailers I saw looked pretty decent, so I have expectations it will be better than 15.  I hope it will live up to them - we shall see!

• Like 1

I just watched the Digital Foundry tech review.  It looks amazing.  There aren't many games I want to play other than the sheer spectacle of them, but this is one.  It'd be a definite purchase if I had a PS5, but I don't.  It's not a system buyer but it certainly looks amazing.

The biggest thing going for it (according to DFs reporting) is there's not real, major day-one patch.  So if you buy it on disc, you're good to go for the long haul.

Very inconsiderate of Square Enix to ruin the summer plans of the chronically online gamers who were looking forward to being mad about this game existing. They weren’t supposed to release something good!

Joking aside I’m very much looking forward to this and is the rare day one purchase for me.

• Haha 1

So it's more like the N-generation (SNES) style in design in some respects, but plays more like FF7 crisis core being more action oriented with RPG mechanics?  I'd say I'm interested, but I have zero interest in ever owning anything but a PC again at this rate and the Switch which I don't even need to guess won't work on it.

I'm seriously contemplating playing this as my next game, which is pretty wild since I never buy games near release (Game Pass excluded). I was a massive FF fan as a kid and teenager, but fell away with the PS2 and beyond. I'm playing FFX right now and, while I don't love it, I do enjoy some of the changes they've made. I'm concerned about the transition to an action game, but reviews are positive and the story could be good.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I played for a couple hours last night, and I gotta say, I’m really enjoying this one.  It feels very different from previous recent Final Fantasy games, and I am already way more invested into the story than I was with FF15.

I am excited to see where this goes - my first impressions are really good!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I wish I was looking forward to this more. I personally feel that the FF14 combat is the perfect mix of turn based style and action, and I really disliked the combat in 7 Remaster. This game from what I've seen looks to be an evaluation of that combat, which doesn't appeal at all. I'll play it anyway, but I really hope I'm wrong and the combat is actually enjoyable for me. 

Administrator · Posted

I really liked 7 Remaster combat (and everything else about it too), so I guess it's hard for me to say if you'd like this.  It is *very* much action based and not turn-based at all.  I happen to like the combat, but FF-14 it is most certainly not.  It is a very different style of game.  

I am having a good time with it - but also, for me story and characters are priorities for me, and so far I like the world they've created so I'm just enjoying the ride.

3 hours ago, spacepup said:

I played for a couple hours last night, and I gotta say, I’m really enjoying this one.  It feels very different from previous recent Final Fantasy games, and I am already way more invested into the story than I was with FF15.

I am excited to see where this goes - my first impressions are really good!

But does it have an integrated advertisements for ramen!

Final Fantasy XV THE PERFECT CUP NOODLES - YouTube

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

After the feedback from the demo I'm suddenly a lot more interested in this game. Given how it looks though, I'm pretty disappointed they couldn't get it running on a PS4. Or hell, even a Switch 

I have a feeling this is going to be an extremely unpopular take here but at some point companies need to just move on from the previous gen. PS4 is a little more forgivable but if I see a multi-gen game has a Switch port being developed alongside it then I start to worry. The Switch is fun but it simply cannot keep up with the rest of the industry when it comes to non-Nintendo AAA stuff. And it honestly doesn’t need to, because it’s fine at doing its own thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

How long are we expecting companies to be held back by decade old hardware like the PS4?  It’s past time to tear that band aid off.

If this was for Switch the character models and Framerate would be quite a downgrade.  Rarely does the switch get decent ports, they look and play worse.

I mean I'm ok with games being designed for modern hardware and not looking back. I just think it's hard to defend it for a game that looks like it's already being held back. It looks like a ps3 game and was likely developed with ps4 in mind.

This smells more like Sony dropping by with a big bag of money. 😛 The arguments they have given in favor of the Ps5 exclusivity is pretty much the exact talking points your hear Sony perpetuating.