IGNORED

Recommend some Japanese NES and SNES Games

I’ll be in the Philippines and am going to check out some game stores.  What are some games I should look for that would be fun to play?

I prefer games that didn’t get released stateside, unless they are so different they might as well be another game, and games that aren’t to text heavy for story as I won’t be able to understand it.

fun, quirky, whatever you think is awesome.  Let me hear it!

Thanks in Advance 

Edited by Lago

I could write up some huge monologue of choices, but I'm at work and I think you can google it, so I'm going to paste a list of stuff I own, and from that you can branch off from those titles to others in the genre and do pretty well for yourself.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou! Shuyaku Soudatsusen
Caravan Shooting Collection
Chou Genjin
Chou Genjin 2
Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
Cotton 100% Marchen Adventure
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2
Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shougun Magginesu
Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijuurokubee no Karakuri Manji Gatame
Gojira: Kaijuu Daikessen
Gokujou Parodius
Hokuto no Ken 6 Gekitou Denshouken Haou e no Michi
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
Kishin Douji Zenki Battle Raiden
Kunio-kun no Dodge Ball Da yo Zenin Shuugou!
Lupin Sansei: Densetsu no Hihou o Oe!
Mario no Super Picross
Mickey to Donald Magical Adventure 3
Neko Tako (SFC-CIB)
Parodius Da! Shinwa kara Owarai e
Pop'n TwinBee
Ranma 1/2: Chougi Ranbu Hen
Rockman & Forte
Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel
Super Bomberman 5
TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure

Akumajou Densetsu
Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun
Armadillo
Challenger
Choplifter
Crisis Force (CI)
Doraemon
Exerion
F1-Race
FC Genjin Freakthoropus Computerus
Final Lap
Ganbare Goemon! Karakuri Douchuu (English Patched)
Goonies
Gradius II
King Kong 2: Ikari no Megaton Punch
Kira Kira Star Night DX (CIB) (RIKI/Columbus Circle)
Mahjong (CIB)
Mappy
Musashi no Ken Tadaima Shugyou Chuu
Parodius Da!
Salamander
Sim City (Prototype English)
Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
Super Mario Bros. 3
Transformers: Mystery of Convoy
TwinBee 3: Poko Poko Dai Maou
Wai Wai World 2: SOS!! Paseri Jou
Valkyie no Bouken: Toki no Kage Densetsu
Yume Penguin Monogatari

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa
Crossfire
Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu: Subette Koronde Dairanto
Joe & Mac
Kai no Bouken: The Quest of Ki (Whirlwind Maru)
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu
RocmanX (Sachen-CIB)
Super Fighter III (Street Fighter II: CE conversion)
Super Mario All-Stars NES MMC5 Hack (Reproduction)
Wanpaku Kokkun no Gourmet World

• Like 2

Joy Mecha Fight

Astro Fang: Supermachine

Crisis Force

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti

Akumajo Special (Kid Dracula) 

Gradius II

Uchu Keibati SDF

Super Xevious (shooter with puzzle elements)

The Famicom Kickle Cubicle, Meikujima allows you to play the levels in any order, which is a significant upgrade.

I like the look of the Famicom Millipede better, as the border graphics aren't garbage.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Kind of fits, but @koifish Shin Megami Tensei got its start on FC.  There are a few and they're 100% translated too and as you know you basically negotiate, partner, cross breed, and make/grow new demons in that series so maybe that would work?

oops, guess I should have clarified. By keiba, I meant horse racing/horse breeding. Keiba is what they call horse racing in Japan, and there are a lot of games for it over there. I have been interested in the genre, and I know that it's one of those "staple games" in Japan, the way that riichi and baseball are, but I wasn't sure if they were worth playing or not on older platforms. Maybe it's a genre where the old games were really just stepping stones toward better things, and so an FC/SFC version would simply be inferior. Thought I would ask and see. Maybe I should have explained keiba though 😁

• Like 1

Some of my favourite Japanese exclusive SNES games whic are playable without understanding Japanese:

Super Bomberman 5
Oshaberi Parodius
Majyuu Ou
The Firemen (also released in Europe, but the English text isn't worth paying premium for)
Magical Quest 3
Magical Pop'n
Hamelin No Violin Hiki
Nankoku Shounen Papuwa-Kun
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy
Go-Go Ackman 2

Some games with noteworthy changes:

Goof Troop has a Hard mode which makes most of the puzzles a lot more interesting. Doesn't change much else though.
The Ninja Warriors Again has an common enemy type that was taken out entirely in the overseas regions, and is also much cheaper in Japan
Hagane is actually affordable
Prince of Persia has much cooler box art

As for NES, I've already done that list more times than I can count 😆

A few notable ones would be Boku Dracula-Kun, Mitsume Ga Tooru, Robocco Wars, Crisis Force, Moon Crystal, Battle City, Time Zone, and Splatterhouse Wanpaku Grafiti

• Like 2

Games I recommend for the Famicom:

Adventure Island IV

Antarctic Adventure

Goonies

Gradius II

King Kong 2 

Mappy

Mappy Kids

Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu (Super Dodge Ball; the Bean Ball mode allows up to four players)

Pac-Land

Rockboard (Mega Man game) 

Tetris

The Tower of Druaga

Others:

Donkey Kong Country 4 (port of the first DKC)

Super Donkey Kong 2 (three level "port" of DKC2)

Somari (Sonic game with Mario)

I don’t remember ever seeing much legit console stuff in the Philippines. Mostly Chinese bootleg Famiclone, GB/GBA and PS1/PS2 stuff.

Wonderswan was the only legit thing I ever remember seeing at retail years ago. it’s a very poor country, so like 95% of the population can’t afford legit games

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

I don’t remember ever seeing much legit console stuff in the Philippines. Mostly Chinese bootleg Famiclone, GB/GBA and PS1/PS2 stuff.

Wonderswan was the only legit thing I ever remember seeing at retail years ago. it’s a very poor country, so like 95% of the population can’t afford legit games

I was curious about this as well.  Although I did see some YouTube videos of a couple shops.  I figure worst case scenario I will have fun looking and will just order some games from eBay.

which I already did a couple.  😂 

7 minutes ago, Lago said:

I was curious about this as well.  Although I did see some YouTube videos of a couple shops.  I figure worst case scenario I will have fun looking and will just order some games from eBay.

which I already did a couple.  😂 

Oh yea one interesting thing there is ebay. Lots of people use eBay with domestic delivery only

32 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Is that actually playable without understanding Japanese?

I picked this up recently and played for about 30mins. I would say no it isn't. You would miss what is really going on.

I guess you could stumble your way through, but I don't know if that would be very fun.

There does exist an English translation for those who need it:

https://www.interordi.com/mega_man_pc/translations/rb_info.php

Edit: Also, this English translation has been put onto an NES cartridge in the past: 

https://www.facebook.com/itgamesfromthegrave/posts/wily-rights-rock-board-reproduction-for-nintendo-nes-452-is-available-and-ready-/1595405747446285/

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

@Lago I'd recommend Binary Land [Famicom] if you like action puzzlers. It's a neat mirrored maze game where you control two penguins at the same time.

I also like Raiden Densetsu [SFC] over Raiden Trad [SNES] because the configuration menu allows for extra continues in the Japanese release. And I know most people don't like the Super Nintendo Raiden port, but I still think it's fun in a mindless way (as far as shoot-em-ups go).

[T-Pac]

3 hours ago, T-Pac said:

@Lago I'd recommend Binary Land [Famicom] if you like action puzzlers. It's a neat mirrored maze game where you control two penguins at the same time.

I also like Raiden Densetsu [SFC] over Raiden Trad [SNES] because the configuration menu allows for extra continues in the Japanese release. And I know most people don't like the Super Nintendo Raiden port, but I still think it's fun in a mindless way (as far as shoot-em-ups go).

[T-Pac]

Thanks!  I’ll add Binary Land to the list too.  Most of the games I’ve got on my wishlist are reasonably priced, which is a nice surprise.

Quest for Ki is just a weird game, but weird done well.  It takes a minimalist template and runs with it in a way that just makes the game both fun and quite replayable, yet never insults you for your mistakes either.  Given the time, it's fairly forgiving as you can choose death to clear an obstacle, and you can reset the map or not, lots of choices.

3 hours ago, G-type said:

I really enjoyed Quest of Ki. Fun puzzle platformer.

Thanks!  Put it on the list.  I think I’ve snagged about 8 games based on a couple YouTube videos and people’s recommendations here.  Really appreciate everyone’s input.

• Like 2