IGNORED

What are you going to play? Retro or Modern

FireHazard51

What are you going to play?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to play?

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I don't play modern games, I don't have time for that sort of time sink.

I agree. 

I watch twitch sometimes. I feel like you just can’t casually play a modern game. You have to live it, learn it, and commit to it.  I watched a bit of Elden Ring.  No thank you.  I just want jump over some enemies and touch a flag pole.  And I’m sure these people are looking at what I play and are saying the same thing: “No thank you.”😂 

Edited by final fight cd
  • Agree 1

Yakuza, Jedi, Zelda, Diablo, Final Fantasy, etc.  Feels like an amazing year for new releases already.  Usually we have to wait till fall/end of the year to see this much good $hit.

I did play a couple of arcade games in my buddy’s man cave.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Not every modern game is a time sink, not by a long shot. And not every retro game is short. :S

Very true. Although all of the retro games I actually like and would play are short. Even on later systems I lean towards the shorter games, which are becoming more rare unless they're indie games.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

I'm about 75% retro if we're including new NES homebrew in that.  I'm pretty proud of myself for embracing some modern since we got a PS5 this past Christmas (at least to a small degree).

I also play a little Switch.  Does Metroid Dread count as modern or retro?  🤔

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted
29 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm about 75% retro if we're including new NES homebrew in that.  I'm pretty proud of myself for embracing some modern since we got a PS5 this past Christmas (at least to a small degree).

New poll thread idea: are Homebrews... Modern? 

I'd argue yes. 

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted

I don't play either exclusively and bounce around, but in terms of what I find myself usually *actively* playing in engaged manner, more frequently - it would definitely be more modern gaming.

I find that every now and then I'll play something retro either due to nostalgia, or because I really like something, but if I had to really pin it down, I'd guess that at least 75% + of my gaming nowadays, is more modern.

Modern in my case, being a bit flexible - not always just brand new games - but games released within the past decade.

I'll always have a love and respect for older games - but in terms of console gaming, for example, I haven't touched the NES in a long time and rarely play it anymore.  It doesn't mean I don't still love it and have great nostalgia for it, but I really like exploring new things and having new experiences.

The "all modern games are trash" mentality is just something I've never embraced - and while I don't love all of them, there is so much amazing content out there, being produced all the time, that closing off to it completely would feel like such a huge loss for me.

Social Team · Posted
15 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

PS5 has some amazing single player games and stories.  And don't worry, not everything is super long.  Also you don't need 100% games so no need to spend 50+ hours in Ghost of Tsushima when you can speed through it and finish it in like 20 hours.  Though I LOVED the game so I took my time and never teleported/fast traveled in the game.  I roamed the lands and slaughter hundreds of invading moguls.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Social Team · Posted

For anyone that loves shogun movies I would say this is a must play.  Near the very end of the game there was a moment absolutely breath taking and moving.  Previously only a movie could have such a scene.  And to allow you the control over how it ends!?!  It's what a lot of directors want to have, a choose your adventure but in movie format.  @Reed Rothchild have you beat this game yet?

Como-vencer-a-Lord-Shimura-en-Ghost-of-T