IGNORED

Should I hold out for a real physical copy of Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster (PS4)?

Estil

So apparently Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster was released today on PS4 (impressive trophy lineup I must say)...normally I'd insist on a real physical copy but is there even a realistic chance I could get one at MSRP?  Or are they too rare and I should just settle for the digital download ones?

They released some more copies yesterday around noon CDT. They were preorder cancellations. I was in line for a standard Switch version, but it sold out before I could check out . I ended up with the overpriced Anniversary edition.

@Reed Rothchild I read online that PA only has a Switch version and @Estil was looking for PS4.

Personally I'd wait and get it on a system that isn't a walled garden.

Square has been very blatant and revitalizing what we called the Square-tax back in the earlier-mid 90s charging out the nose for this one.  I'd rather take it since fast motions aren't needed (it's RPGs after all) on a mobile device or if not that on Steam.  Both will see 20%-50% sales on each individual title as time rolls along.  The game is a greedy cash grab asking full price of each individual download on mobile/steam right now in one bundle cart.  I wanted it, Switch too, but when I saw that price tag, I was set on riding out time for a sale and probably dropping it on my phone since it's far easier to jump into any even PC.

I bought the physical on Switch from PlayAsia. But I'd previously bought 1, 4, and 6 on Steam.

I'm glad I got the PlayAsia version because I prefer the ESRB-free packaging and the pixel art printed on the interior. Whereas the one from the Square Enix website for NA has ugly ESRB logos everywhere and the interior only has a warning on it. Pretty lame imo:

https://youtu.be/YiuaIIPPZTA

The key advantage for Steam was being able to fix the font. Even though I appreciate that SQE added a pixel font for the console collection, it's still not the same.

With the Steam version you can just change the font file. I followed this guide: https://gameranx.com/features/id/290283/article/final-fantasy-6-pixel-remaster-how-to-fix-the-font/

Using the actual SNES fonts for games like FF4 and FF6 made it far more enjoyable to me. I played through both on the Steam Deck, and it was a thing of beauty. Personally I just find their font choices both difficult to read on a small screen and inauthentic to the original experience. 

Check out the original vs modded font on the Phantom Train pic. This alone made the Steam version more worthwhile to me. In the Ultros pic you can see their new official pixel font. It's better but still a bit hard to read if you're an old man like me.

That said, I'm not sure if the new XP/Gil modifier or Turn Off Encounters modes are available in the Steam version or not.

Anyways hope that helps a bit.

9f409cb72050d609530e859f5ca4b845.png

Fki8aZiUYAAZjE-.jpeg

2.jpg

Edited by tigerwolf

Me personally, I’m more forgiving on the physical vs. digital thing on compilations of old games. Stuff like the Castlevania, Final Fantasy, or Sonic collections, I could hold out for a physical copy, or I could just get them digitally for the convenience since I have those games in their original releases sitting physically on my shelf already.

Of course my situation or mindset may not apply to everyone, just giving my two cents. Just saying I don’t sweat it as much on these sorts of releases like I used to.

@tigerwollf

For what it is worth the collectors edition for the switch comes with a nice lenticular cover that goes over the switch case - just has the six characters and Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster over a blue crystal in the middle.  The back has a white wizard and a black wizard with FF in the middle and PIXEL REMASTER underneath.

31 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

@tigerwollf

For what it is worth the collectors edition for the switch comes with a nice lenticular cover that goes over the switch case - just has the six characters and Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster over a blue crystal in the middle.  The back has a white wizard and a black wizard with FF in the middle and PIXEL REMASTER underneath.

I've seen the collectors versions over at Square-Enix...but is it really worth over $200 though??

2 minutes ago, Estil said:

I've seen the collectors versions over at Square-Enix...but is it really worth over $200 though??

That is always a judgement call depending on way too many factors - I really really like the early FF games (I can live without the later ones) and the regular edtion was not to be had - so I decided to snag the collectors while the getting was good.  Plus my income is a little more flush these days since I paid off my HELOC back in February - so I can splurge on things once in awhile.

If you're going to release a remake where the primary selling point is a slight visual upgrade, designed to be more sensible than the mess they made out of the previous mobile/steam releases, then a completely tonedeaf clash of styles introduced by a font present on nearly every screen across all of the games is a pretty massive strike against it. 🙂 even if it's one that simple to fix (and it's great that they did) 

Again, the issue isn't that I didn't look "Snes cool", the issue is that it looked like garbage and was impossible to ignore if you have even a slight sense of layout. 

Edited by Sumez

Garbage is subjective, it really doesn't, but if you don't like it looking compressed that's fine, but calling it garbage is kind of an insult that's utterly unnecessary.  I know they fixed it, no real reason to other than a picky vocal minority whining about it in the end ultimately.  I'm a little surprised they just didn't ignore it entirely.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Sumez said:

It's objectively garbage, however. Most other people are able to see it 🙂 

Here's a more apparent example from one of the older games, if that helps.

96fa790317c2d364add38f89d1455a7b.jpg

Please don't use their images to snub a game. It's just another way to snub those who have taken the time to review it. 😑 And that is as bad as snubbing fans of any game series. 😑

Yeah, Johnny has a digital copy of the games and is waiting for Playasia to send him a physical copy. But also shows the actual options that help make the game look nostalgically good.

With me agreeing that the PC font is not a good fit. With my reasons being tied to that giving me a more PSP vibe than a SNES/GBA vibe (which the other font option offers).

Edited by FenrirZero

Just now, Sumez said:

Whose image?

Square Enix's.

Obviously it is an older game image, and I can understand why you would want to use it to argue.

But if you are going to object to what they did with this set... Use reviewer footage instead. Because you are going to get most of an argument by showing what they did wrong with this release. Because screencaps offered by the company can be seen as "examples" but tend to exclude what makes them either be good or crap. (Or in Square Enix's case, "Let's make this a store exclusive!" level of crap.)

And this is from somebody who'll agree with you that Square Enix shot themselves in the balls when it comes to a number of their re-ports. (Including the PS4/Switch release of Dragon Quest I.)

Not sure why I wouldn't use their image? It's an image they chose to represent their game, and it prominently displays an issue with the game, so I think using it as an example is fairly logical.

But they fixed the font in this new release, so I think that's commendable. I'm not "snubbing" the game, I'm just pointing out the issue with an older and now irrelevant version of the game. 🙂 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I typically love reissues and compilations like this, but the $80 price tag is too much considering I already have a bunch of versions of these games already. Maybe I would buy used for cheap, but it seems to becoming collectable.

I have to admit it's quite an all-in-one package.  I don't think that's been done before, so it makes 100% sense that this would be desirable on any console.

2 hours ago, RH said:

I have to admit it's quite an all-in-one package.  I don't think that's been done before, so it makes 100% sense that this would be desirable on any console.

I get that. There is well over 200 hours of fun to be had for a mere $80. I can see why some people would jump at this set.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I typically love reissues and compilations like this, but the $80 price tag is too much considering I already have a bunch of versions of these games already. Maybe I would buy used for cheap, but it seems to becoming collectable.

Kinda in the same boat.  It's tempting since I already have 7,8,9,10,10-2,12 on Switch, and this would kinda complete the set, in a way.

But what am I actually gonna play?  Maybe two of them.  That'd be a bitter $80 pill.

• Agree 1

You can buy them a la cart if you just want to get your favs and not the entire bundle

Yeah it’s a bunch of old games but they tuned up the graphics, did fantastic work on the soundtracks, and tons of quality of life features like being able to run and auto battle which speeds up the grind a ton.  Having this on the switch is hella convenient.

If you are playing or replaying these in 2023, it is totally worth it.