IGNORED

Game Debate #144: Jet Grind Radio

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

• The title was changed to Game Debate #144: Jet Grind Radio

I absolutely prefer JSRF because it controls more smoothly and generally plays better. And I like how the stages all connect naturally.

But the original game has a way more tight arcade-like feel with much more challenging missions that you can (and will) actually fail! That's something I really missed in the sequel. 

This game had such a cool visual style that I think holds up pretty well. I remember having trouble with the controls, but I don't know if it was the game or that I just didn't like the Dreamcast controller very much. It was some decent fun, but I had trouble getting very far into it.

6/10

Edited by cj_robot

This was a game of the times, man. 1999-2000 was maybe the last time (only time?) Roller blading was cool. Throw in you're tagging buildings and cars, going against rival gangs and running from the cops and you have a real game on your hands. This is nostalgia heavy for me and puts me back into what piqued my interest in Japan.. the game was so wonky, playing on this dream machine that allowed me to use it as a computer with a keyboard and mouse and let me play football games online against my friends.

This is one of those games that cements what the future of gaming looked like on the Dreamcast. 7/10

9/10, My favorite Dreamcast game. Love the setting, missions, awesome music, fun characters, and it controls and plays great for the most part (occasional camera issues and such are why it's not a 10 for me). The cel-shaded graphics are done in a style that keep it from looking dated, much like people perceive Wind Waker's look. Definitely I highly recommend this game for anyone that is the least bit interested!

Really got into it, and not even my usual style I care for, same with the music enough I got the sound track.  One of the more played game on Dreamcast for me, even the GBA game is shockingly solid for an isometric port.  Thankfully a DC isn't needed anymore, even legally, it's on a few services cheap under the Japanese Jet SET Radio name like Steam with a few other DC gems as a bundle too.  I wouldn't pay the toxic DC price, but if you want to blow $7 on PC you really can't go wrong as it's just so well done.  Even despite the system limits, largely due to that art style it has aged very well compared to others on that.

• Like 1

The first game to do cel shading right. The visual are iconic, the soundtrack is banging, and the gameplay is quirky and fresh.

The controls could have been tighter and the gameplay wasn’t actually as fun as it looked.  I got stuck on the Time Square level which was huge with a strict time limited and was the flashback so you didn’t get your usual crew.  Kinda annoying.

• Agree 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:20 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

This is one of those games that cements what the future of gaming looked like on the Dreamcast.

9/9/99!

It was exciting at the time, I missed out on it at the beginning but I think it's pretty cool and I don't understand why anyone would dislike the controller unless they've only played later machines and controllers.