IGNORED

Game Debate #142: F-Zero X

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

The game rules and is my favorite example that framerate is king. TLOU2 will eventually look like we see PS1 games now. F-Zero X is chilling with a bunch of blurry racing ovals but it’s still smooth as butter.

It’s crazy that Nintendo axed this franchise. It’s the perfect hardcore, twitchy, track-memorizing complement to the casual, party focused Mario Kart. I remember Miyamoto said something like “Where do you want F-Zero to go, it’s already done everything” and he’s right. F-Zero GX is perfect and untoppable but who cares? The gaming industry rehashes literally everything to death and beyond, just give me more F-Zero. We don’t even have one in H-freaking-D.

• Like 1

I didn't play this one much, but I was a big fan of the Extreme-G series, even if it were a knock off of what F-Zero brought to the racing genre.  My opinion would probably be different had I had a SNES and F-Zero and played this title first, but IMHO Extreme-G was the racer to go to for lightening-fast racing on the N64, plus battle mode was kind of fun too.

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

The game rules and is my favorite example that framerate is king. TLOU2 will eventually look like we see PS1 games now. F-Zero X is chilling with a bunch of blurry racing ovals but it’s still smooth as butter.

It’s crazy that Nintendo axed this franchise. It’s the perfect hardcore, twitchy, track-memorizing complement to the casual, party focused Mario Kart. I remember Miyamoto said something like “Where do you want F-Zero to go, it’s already done everything” and he’s right. F-Zero GX is perfect and untoppable but who cares? The gaming industry rehashes literally everything to death and beyond, just give me more F-Zero. We don’t even have one in H-freaking-D.

I can go along with that second comment, for sure.  I know I just gushed the praises of Extreme-G but it's a pipe dream to ever assume we'll get another one of those, so I'd gladly accept a new, top-of-the-line F-Zero in HD.  Heck, it's be awesome to see one being made to showcase the "Switch 2" if/when it launches and (hopefully) supports 4k output!

Defaultgen raised a good point and quote.  They bailed on it which is a shame, and bailed before it was actually really done too.  GBA got one fantastic F-Zero, it stayed in Japan, CLIMAX.  That release also re-issued the N64DD track maker and included it with enough save room to store 20 courses.  That one feels like a well executed hybrid of SNES and N64 titles with just a lot of style.

The N64 game I always liked, but maybe just a little less than the SNES one since I kind of just enjoyed racing, not so much the combat antics, but it did them well.  It was handy the game already did flying courses so given the scope of what 3D the first gen could pull off then, it played to the room well keeping the courses in the air and limiting background because of it.  That allowed the game to run a rock solid full 60fps that kept the game blazing fast even with a full load of cars on screen... ExG1/2, WIpeout64, etc couldn't keep up.

count me as the exact same audience as @RH. while i like and appreciate what F-Zero is (and the more years that go by, the more i appreciate the series, even if i'm not great at it!), my first exposure to this type of racer was Extreme-G, which i immediately fell in love with. 

that said, i do wish the series would continue.