IGNORED

Water Cooler!

a3quit4s

Brought my iPhone 11 to Best Buy today to have the battery replaced. Last time I tried to do it myself on an iPhone 8 and it didn't go so well so I figured best left to the experts. Had to wander around the mall for an hour and a half while they did the repair. Went to pick it up; "Oh, the new battery fried your phone."

Awesome. They gave me a loaner XR which is fine I don't really care or use my phone as nearly as others do. I have Verizon and Best Buy sells Verizon so this should be an easy swap until the one replacement they ordered to give me arrives tomorrow. Go to that counter; "No, sorry in order to authenticate you for our system you have to be able to get a text message on your phone." Which of course is at Geek Squad fried. "Go down to the Verizon store further down the mall, they can swap it for you." Nope, they can't do it either account is in my wife's name.

Get it home and try to get into MyVerizon to just swap it myself. Nope, need to get a text message for two factor. Try to chat with an agent, nope wife isn't around.

I'm browsing VGS on a laptop.

edit: there was also a whole to do about my phone having an eSIM between Best Buy and the Verizon store in the mall.

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Wow! 1

Nice cluster they put you in. "The battery" fried your phone, more like "we" did. 

Hopefully you have everything backed up to the cloud or whatever. I certainly don't have that for pictures. When my last phone went utterly kaput I was really thankful that I had it active for contacts and notes, which I had forgotten about. 

No really important pictures were lost since I had copied a bunch over to my computer. 

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Amici's for a late lunch of sausage and cheese tortellini and saw one of these on the lane nexr to me:

7d4ca674aa49fdfc5a1b3c825eb7df53.png.da149f926c1e5bd36fb1b84c93506bdf.png

This is an 8 seat 2023 Toyota Sienna - a behemouth that looks far worse IRL than it does in this picture.  How ugly is it you ask?

Spoiler

It is so ugly that it makes the notorious Pontiac Aztec look graceful!

Man this is totally nuts. The wildfires in Canada are putting like a haze over NY and blocking certain UV so the sun appears to be bright red. When I went out this morning it also smells like campfire here despite no one burning anything even remotely close to me. 

Nuts

Hopefully all the Canada bros here are all safe and sound

Edited by a3quit4s

Administrator · Posted
34 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Man this is totally nuts. The wildfires in Canada are putting like a haze over NY and blocking certain UV so the sun appears to be bright red. When I went out this morning it also smells like campfire here despite no one burning anything even remotely close to me. 

Nuts

Hopefully all the Canada bros here are all safe and sound

Had the biggest wildfire ever up here near Halifax. Just after I moved here. Conspiracy. 

IMG_20230528_174931.jpgIMG_20230528_181818.jpg

Collecting full sets thought:

A lot of people decide to collect full sets for whatever reason they want. The next thought is immediately well how can I get these games the cheapest way possible? I don’t think you should think about it in that way - you should take the average price of a game sold and multiply it by however many games make up the full set and really think about that price at the end. This is a little bit easier with sites like price charting because they give you a decent idea of the cost of an average game for whatever console. 

Also consider, over the long run that game prices do not generally go down. So however many X years you think it will take to collect and add like 3%-6% each year to the grand total minus however many games you think you’ll buy a year. 

This way you at least get an idea of the monetary commitment you are making. I’m not saying money is the only factor you should look at of course, but it’s important. People tend to look at only the most expensive games, but the filler, and games in the $20-$80 range are quite large for most systems. 

Don’t collect full sets lol

Edited by a3quit4s

32 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Man you couldn’t pay me $10 million to go down to the titanic in that little ass sub. I know it looks grim but I hope these people get miraculously rescued. Billionaire or not no one deserves that kind of slow death.  

Apparently there were safety issues alleged about the vessel.  Having a playstation  (presumably joystick) style controller sounds particularly rinky dink to me.

I think the possiblity of fishing them out if they are alive is pretty remote - there is no suitable equipment at hand and I am not sure there is any equipment in the world capable of lifting the thing out intact.  And it may well be in pieces after an implostion event.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/06/20/missing-titan-submersible-safety

Edited by Tabonga

I just saw this picture on LinkedIn of this person in like a grow house for weed with a caption “I bet my office smells better than yours”. It’s wild how far we have come along with legalization but have how far we have backtracked with other rights. It was always normal for people to post like being out on happy hour drinking, it’s good to see a less harmful drug (supposedly, I’m not an expert) get some glamour shots. 

14 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

It’s wild how far we have come along with legalization but have how far we have backtracked with other rights.

I wonder how much lobbying has been involved. I think it's a step in the right direction for sure, but a lot of the retail industry side seems to be big money making more money. 

17 minutes ago, Link said:

I wonder how much lobbying has been involved. I think it's a step in the right direction for sure, but a lot of the retail industry side seems to be big money making more money. 

I think it’s good for the states that made it legal to have another revenue stream. Will that money actually get funneled back to the people in the form of infrastructure improvements or government funded programs or something useful besides lining politicians pockets? We sure hope so

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a3quit4s said:

I don’t know why every once in awhile I try to get back into PubG. I suck at it and playing with a controller against mouse and keyboard people is ass

If you're playing on console, get used to it. It goes against their Code of Conduct, but they don't do anything to enforce it. They don't care.

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

If you're playing on console, get used to it. It goes against their Code of Conduct, but they don't do anything to enforce it. They don't care.

I can probably turn off cross play but i feel like I’d never move from the queue since the game is pretty much dead at this point 

Just now, a3quit4s said:

I can probably turn off cross play but i feel like I’d never move from the queue since the game is pretty much dead at this point 

If you turn off cross play you will basically end up in bot lobbies with a few real players in the game.

It's a real shame because the game still suffers from so many issues. My only hope is that at some point, they will care enough to listen to honest and good suggestions and implement changed for PUBG 2, if that ever happens. I'll stop before I start firing off the long list of issues we have encountered with the game and changes no one ever asked for.

If you want to run with a squad, let me know. As long as you are a team player, we don't care about your skill level.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
On 6/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, Tabonga said:

I went to Amici's for a late lunch of sausage and cheese tortellini and saw one of these on the lane nexr to me:

7d4ca674aa49fdfc5a1b3c825eb7df53.png.da149f926c1e5bd36fb1b84c93506bdf.png

This is an 8 seat 2023 Toyota Sienna - a behemouth that looks far worse IRL than it does in this picture.  How ugly is it you ask?

Hide contents

It is so ugly that it makes the notorious Pontiac Aztec look graceful!

Even worse, it may only have a 4 cylinder engine!   Last year when we were van shopping, the Sienna had something ridiculous like 36 mpg.   I thought it was a misprint until I looked at the engine size.

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Even worse, it may only have a 4 cylinder engine!   Last year when we were van shopping, the Sienna had something ridiculous like 36 mpg.   I thought it was a misprint until I looked at the engine size.

I was doing some reading on it - apparently the battery/electric motors (there are two) exist mostly to boost the ICE when hitting speed or rapid acceleration  when already  at high speed.  So that engine probably outperforms my 2.5 liter (which the Sienna has) in my RAV 4 (no extra batteries involved) somewhat - but it is pushing at  a minimum of 1000 pounds more (about +35% of my rav4). I am guessing if that thing is full of passengers and luggage etc it is going to be a bit sluggish.

The one I saw looked pretty low slung - so it likely will not do well if there is a lot of snow - my RAV4 has all wheel drive and does extremely well in even pretty deep snow.

Edited by Tabonga