IGNORED

NES Mah Jong Hong Kong

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Been a bit of a lurker on this thread for a while.  But finally signed up.

I have a boxed copy of Mah Jong and it's going up for auction in July. This copy was found in Hong Kong, and in the 10 years I've lived there it is the only one I have ever seen.  That doesn't mean there aren't other copies in the Cantonese speaking collecting circles tho.

This copy is a totally 'new' find so it's not on any of the previous lists of known copies.  It's a bit rough around the edges.  The box has wear and tear with one of the top tabs missing and the other very flimsy, but the box on the whole it's pretty good.  The cartridge itself is in very good condition, but the label is getting slightly loose at the very lower lefthand side.

Below are a few pics, including a shot of the board as that was mentioned earlier.

Here's the link to auction

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/other/mah-jong-ungraded-boxed-hong-kong-version-nes-nintendo-1983-hk/p/7349-82001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01053.JPG

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01062.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

*Code Monkey and Sam mortgage everything to get this game* 😛

On 6/16/2023 at 11:52 PM, MondoDavo said:

This copy is a totally 'new' find so it's not on any of the previous lists of known copies.

So that puts them at what, ten known copies or so?

• Agree 1

Whoaoaoaoa, Mah Jong at public auction! This is exciting!

The high end HA crowd typically doesn't pay randomly nutty prices for obscure old man rares like this, so this should give us a realistic market price finally. My hot obscure random rare coffers are currently empty. Good luck to all the bidders taking out home equity loans ❤️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Whoaoaoaoa, Mah Jong at public auction! This is exciting!

The high end HA crowd typically doesn't pay randomly nutty prices for obscure old man rares like this, so this should give us a realistic market price finally. My hot obscure random rare coffers are currently empty. Good luck to all the bidders taking out home equity loans ❤️

I’m excited for this, too 😂.  The fact it isn’t Mario, Zelda, comic related, or some random sports dude on the cover it’ll be interesting what the HA crowd bids this up to.  Does the dentist even know this exists?

On 6/17/2023 at 7:18 PM, Code Monkey said:

I have never and would never participate in such an act.

Heritage Auctions doesn't allow listing removals. I'll wait until it hits auction.

I do not condone backdooring usually but in the case of taking it away from some scummy auction house, I’m all for it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Sam NES Litman said:

Hahaha, that’s funny!  There is way more copies than 10, I’ve located that many in the last couple years. I’m still interested 

Interesting. For a long time it sat at nine known copies. Admittedly I haven't kept up with it.

They sure don't come up for sale very often, though.

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

was sold at broadway, nice that the sticker is still on it

Screenshot2023-07-07at11_14_32.png.1591ea8d8d509a1843097715cfbc3f10.png

It does give it a bit of provenance. Broadway is big retailer in Hong Kong, similar to Dixon's in the UK or BestBuy in the US. You'd go there for stuff with a warranty etc. If you wanted the grey imports or pirate gear which was everywhere in HK during the 80's people would go to the Golden Computer Centre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MondoDavo said:

It does give it a bit of provenance. Broadway is big retailer in Hong Kong, similar to Dixon's in the UK or BestBuy in the US. You'd go there for stuff with a warranty etc. If you wanted the grey imports or pirate gear which was everywhere in HK during the 80's people would go to the Golden Computer Centre.

Great info, thanks 🙏🏽

• 3 weeks later...