IGNORED

NES Mah Jong Hong Kong

5 minutes ago, Sam NES Litman said:

I love the look, how old they are and they are extremely rare to even locate, let alone get someone to give it up. NES has soooo many games across this planet, what a fun treasure to hunt down, but man are some almost impossible to find 

No joke, and WOW thank you for sharing this.

I still need to finish the standard 677, but stuff like this keeps me going.

I'll admit I'd have been nervous opening up one of these.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sam NES Litman said:

I had to open my 3 in 1 Supergun, and had no clue how, so tested on a less valued GLUK, it popped right open with little force 

Yeah I've done the same technique a ton of times with unofficial Famicom games. For a lot of the styles, as long as the shells aren't sunfaded (and thus brittle), one can easily just go for the kill with this technique.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Can someone please explain what all of this is?

Brush Roller, Fire Dragon, and various other games from the Brazilian game “publishing” company “INTERATIVE” (yes that’s the right spelling)

Brazilian releases are shrouded in mystery and no one in our small community or even extended circles really goes out of their way to document their existence.

I have a fairly decent list of Brazilian games, but even then, I can go right now on Mercado Livre right now and discover a bunch more, just by looking at every listing.

I’m pretty sure you know what Phantom Air Mission, and Snowboard Challenge are (they’re licensed PAL releases of Ultimate Air Combat, and Heavy Shreddin’)

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Okay, well I was wrong and this has globs too.

The jury is in, I think it's safe to conclude that these interactive games are official.

IMG20230224194957.jpg

IMG20230224194937.jpg

IMG20230224194944.jpg

That *is* pretty damning.

They’re identical labels and everything. So, looks like Brush Roller & Fire Dragon are back on the menu boys 🙂

Just so odd that Interative would make straight up pirates, and then work with people from overseas out of nowhere. But, Brazilian games are just crazy like that I guess.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2

Indiana Jones is a NES exclusive - AFAIK it was never released on the Famicom, aside from bootleg copies (actually that game is not particularly common to find in Taiwan, can't comment about in other large Famiclone regions such as South America or Poland). 

It's interesting that they went the route of using a Famicom board + adaptor. It makes me almost wonder if this would be the same case for all (or most) of the pirated games, whereas the originals were done directly as 72-pin boards.

• Like 1

Also, just to throw this out there to show how connected *all* of this stuff is, despite it sounding crazy for pre-internet and what not.

I am friends with a retired shopkeeper / founder of one of the largest toy shops in the second (back in the 70s and 80s would have been the third) largest city in Taiwan. He had taken several trips to Argentina back in the heyday, relating to business and his shop. His shop sold tons of toys, action figures and models, also tons of games - locally made original stuff, bootlegs, official games, etc. And this is a guy whose English is terrible at best. 

Just mentioning this as I personally believe the connections are much closer and less outlandish than our modern minds initially think.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Indiana Jones is a NES exclusive - AFAIK it was never released on the Famicom, aside from bootleg copies (actually that game is not particularly common to find in Taiwan, can't comment about in other large Famiclone regions such as South America or Poland). 

It's interesting that they went the route of using a Famicom board + adaptor. It makes me almost wonder if this would be the same case for all (or most) of the pirated games, whereas the originals were done directly as 72-pin boards.

Yep, I’m starting to believe they sourced EVERYTHING from a Taiwan bootleg company now.

So…maybe the Famicom versions of those Brush Rollers and Fire Dragons are also bootlegged from another company?

Do you know what fully authentic Fire Dragon, and Brush Roller would look like Dave?

This is really interesting 🙂 

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Yep, I’m starting to believe they sourced EVERYTHING from a Taiwan bootleg company now.

So…maybe the Famicom versions of those Brush Rollers and Fire Dragons are also bootlegged from another company?

Do you know what fully authentic Fire Dragon, and Brush Roller would look like Dave?

This is really interesting 🙂 

Mine is authentic for Fire Dragon, not entirely sure about Brush Roller as it's been way too long, but I imagine it is authentic as well.

Fire Dragon is not a common game to find here, for what it's worth. The company that did Fire Dragon (which was local to me) was more or less a contract developer, I spoke with someone who had worked for them years ago as the guy sold a friend of mine a ton of old gaming magazines, which my friend then sold me (my friend used to have a second hand bookshop in the city near a university). 

As the labels match and the pcbs seem similar, with the same stamped ink, I suspect it was done above board with the Brazilian company handling the assembly, and the shells from another source (possibly Taiwanese or maybe local).

For reference, Taiwan and Brazil already have a link via BIC, and Fire Dragon was also released by BIC in Poland at least...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I would like to know the names of the games, the systems on which they play, the countries of origin, the developers and how they were originally sold.

The two games published by Brazilian company Interative are Fire Dragon by Taiwanese company Gamtec, and Brush Roller by Hwang Shinwei (also Taiwanese). On page 1 there is also a double pack by Australian company HES featuring a game by Taiwanese company C&E, and a Tengen game

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...