IGNORED

Game Debate #141: Fire Emblem

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

I've never played this one, but I've have a hard time dealing with the concept that death is permanent for characters in the later games I played. If I can ever get over that mental hurdle, I figure I'd probably enjoy this series, as I usually do with these kinds of games.

You can chose permadeath or not in the more recent games. 

This isn't my favorite of the series, but still pretty good. I'd go with a 7.

This was a pretty killer thing to own on GBA as a teenager, I have a lot of fondness for it and was an admin at a Fire Emblem-themed forum with hundreds of thousands of posts. So yeah, lots of memories with this one.

It's a solid Strategy RPG with generally good map design and cool sprite animations. The actual gameplay systems in FE7 (this game) are relatively conservative. FE6 was already basically an attempt to take some of FE4 and FE5's new mechanics (the ones that weren't WAY out there anyways) but put them into a more traditional feeling game like FE1 and FE3; and FE7 reuses the FE6 engine without much in the way of new features. You like Fire Emblem or Strategy RPGs in general? Cool, this one's great too, but it's hard to say there's much special sauce here at this point. Executed well enough for the most part but not without stumbling here and there. To wit:

-Hard Modes are not unlocked by default; you have to beat the game first. This being a problem is amplified by the game's structure. Lyn Normal Mode has a mandatory tutorial, Lyn "Hard Mode" is pretty the exact same but without the tutorial, and once you understand "how to Fire Emblem" it's mostly pretty trivial. Hector Mode is a remixed version of Eliwood's campaign only unlocked after you beat the game - but beating Eliwood Mode on Normal only unlocks Hector Normal Mode. And Hector Hard Mode ups the difficulty a good bit more than Eliwood Hard Mode so to unlock the highest difficulty you have to beat the game twice on Normal Mode.

-The generic enemies often really struggle to keep up with what your better units are capable of. Marcus/Oswin/Hector can be pretty hard to get killed for most of the first half without a lot of effort. Then after a point your units double attacking and 2HKOing at 1-2 range or whatever is so common. Even on the hardest mode (HHM) the general difficulty feels kind of tame compared to some of the harder games.

-Support conversations are a good idea but their implementation in the GBA games is a mess. The only way I've bothered to see most of them is by reading transcripts on gamefaqs/serenes forest. And the non-Lord, post-Lyn Mode bulk of the cast don't have much dialogue outside of these.

-Battle Before Dawn is a pretty awful map, especially on harder modes. Sometimes the NPCs get RNGed or make terrible decisions and die before you can get to them and there's just nothing you can do but restart the chapter and hope things go better next time.

Gave it a 7, as it seems to fit the criteria and I've played thru it a couple times. I'd have preferred they stuck with the Advance Wars series, but this was a nice alternative.

As a series, I thought the earlier FEs worked best. The 3DS and home console entries never felt right to me, and I never bothered finishing them.

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Is this vote specifically for the GBA remake? 

You're probably thinking of Shadow Dragon on DS.

"Fire Emblem" on GBA is not a remake and nothing is a remake of it. It has a subtitle in Japanese ("Rekka no Ken," was popularly called "Blazing Sword" for years in the fandom and that still pops up sometimes but Nintendo has officially called it "The Blazing Blade" now) but said subtitle was dropped in western releases since it was the first game to come out there.

11 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

You're probably thinking of Shadow Dragon on DS.

"Fire Emblem" on GBA is not a remake and nothing is a remake of it. It has a subtitle in Japanese ("Rekka no Ken," was popularly called "Blazing Sword" for years in the fandom and that still pops up sometimes but Nintendo has officially called it "The Blazing Blade" now) but said subtitle was dropped in western releases since it was the first game to come out there.

Thanks for clarifying! That actually just makes the poll even more misleading 🤣