IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic 2023

Link

20 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Membership has perks! I’m gonna go to the next east coast convention. Does VGS have the same deal at Too Many Games or the Long Island convention?

Not as far as I know.  I believe the association started with Midwest way back in the day since it was in very close proximity to many of the Minnesota/Chicago/Indiana members.

RetroGameCon in Syracuse is a great one to attend if you're looking for stuff near you.   TMG might be as well depending on what you're looking for.

• Thanks 1

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Not as far as I know.  I believe the association started with Midwest way back in the day since it was in very close proximity to many of the Minnesota/Chicago/Indiana members.

RetroGameCon in Syracuse is a great one to attend if you're looking for stuff near you.   TMG might be as well depending on what you're looking for.

Yep, BA and I attended last minute in 2011 and met up with the Missouri crew and BigJT. 2012 we decided to do a table to sell BigJT’s release Assimilate and some of Bunny’s RetroUSB games and put a NintendoAge table drape over it. We also had a couple TV’s set up with contests running. They put us in one of those basement rooms with the Ben Heck guys and Memblers/Tepples/clueless that did a MGC competition cart. Then we moved upstairs to a room where we stayed until it moved from the hotel. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that the exhibit you had set up was awesome.  It really looked like you were back at a department store from years gone by.  Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put in to make it happen.  It was really something special to see. 

I'm also very happy that all those old crt's in your display as well as everywhere around the convention are still getting some love and not rotting in a garbage dump.

I desperately wanted to go to MGC for the first time, but I'm in the midst of recovering from a herniated L2 in my back, so I can't walk for very long at the moment (which has been particularly cruel for someone who jogged every night before the injury).

I'm trying to rehab completely to try going to Long Island, but if not, I'm planning to go to MGC next year for sure!

8 minutes ago, Renmauzo said:

I desperately wanted to go to MGC for the first time, but I'm in the midst of recovering from a herniated L2 in my back, so I can't walk for very long at the moment (which has been particularly cruel for someone who jogged every night before the injury).

I'm trying to rehab completely to try going to Long Island, but if not, I'm planning to go to MGC next year for sure!

I’ll probably hit up Long Island since it’s only about 2 hours from here and my wife can visit her family while we are there since she is from the island. Do we do a VGS room there as well?

On 4/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, srbossman79 said:

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that the exhibit you had set up was awesome.  It really looked like you were back at a department store from years gone by.  Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put in to make it happen.  It was really something special to see. 

Thanks for saying that.  It took over a day to setup and 5 hours to tear down.  But watching people enjoy it was rewarding.

I noticed 3 kinds of people who visited:

#1 Those who had no idea what was going on, but loved looking at it. 

#2 Collectors who knew what everything was and shared a common interest. 

#3 People who haven't been in a store like that since 1995 and didn't know if they ever would be again. And were happy to have their kids enjoy it.

I was really trying to cater to the #3 group of people, but did not expect such a positive response.  I lost count of the people who got down-right emotional.  Saw tears in many an eye.  One had to leave when talking to me as he couldn't hold it together.   

Here is are some pics on imgur with some comments.  Sorry they aren't good. I should've brought a DSLR.

https://imgur.com/a/IHOROTi

h0M2Q4R.jpg

Edited by LaC
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, LaC said:

watching people enjoy it was rewarding.

I noticed 3 kinds of people who visited:

I guess I'm in group #2 😅 I really wanted to buy your book at the con

( @srbossman79 check it out if you didn't see it there. It's great, next best thing to being there or even better in some ways)