IGNORED

Flats vs. Drumettes

RH

Flats vs. Drumettes  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer when it comes to chicken wings?

5 hours ago, RH said:

Something in the reply box is glitching out for me so this reply looks weird inside a quote box for some  reason. 

I stand by my statement. Boneless all the way. I don’t want to work to consume my food. No sense in messing around trying to yank a measly amount of meat off a little bone when I can just pop a whole piece in my mouth and enjoy. 

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

Moderator · Posted

To add to the above, my local craft beer bar makes some killer boneless wings and I much prefer those. It is hand pulled chicken that they roast in their open fire oven, with a light breading. Sure it’s more a highfaultin version of a chicken nugget, but the Thai Chili version is delicious. Much less work for a bigger payout vs their bone in wings, which come frozen, like everywhere else. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Flats for sure. Can't go wrong with either though.

Flats are greatly improved one you know how to peel the cartilage off the tip and pull the bones out leaving a true boneless wing.

100%, this is the way.  In fact, I intended to post one of these videos at some point.  

For those don’t like flats because they are hard to eat, once you learn how to easily debone a cooked wing, you’ll never go back to preferring drums.

4 minutes ago, Bighab said:

Drums all the way for me. Bigger, juicier and more crunchy.  I'm not against flats but if I'm eating wings with buddies I'm going for the drums first until they're all gone.

Ok, this is a side vote for y’all—who thinks drums are juicier.  I mean, I feel this shouldn’t be subjective because I feel the drums are always noticeably dryer.

Could be conformational bias though. I actually eat more drums than flats so I feel I know.  My reason is because my wife and I often share wings and since I know she prefers flats, I leave the bulk to her.

I agree they are both delicious though! I’d take 10 drums over none at all any day!

Administrator · Posted
Just now, RH said:

Ok, this is a side vote for y’all—who thinks drums are juicier.  I mean, I feel this shouldn’t be subjective because I feel the drums are always noticeably dryer.

Could be conformational bias though. I actually eat more drums than flats so I feel I know.  My reason is because my wife and I often share wings and since I know she prefers flats, I leave the bulk to her.

I agree they are both delicious though! I’d take 10 drums over none at all any day!

If you're into cooking, I suggest doing your drums/wings/etc. sous vide - a basic sous vide setup can be had for like $150 and honestly it's changed cooking for me for a lot of things, especially meats. Every meat I cook is perfect these days; moist, tender, crispy... it's all so easy.

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

If you're into cooking, I suggest doing your drums/wings/etc. sous vide - a basic sous vide setup can be had for like $150 and honestly it's changed cooking for me for a lot of things, especially meats. Every meat I cook is perfect these days; moist, tender, crispy... it's all so easy.

My wife does the cooking but I’ve been soooo tempted.  I’m getting old so I now watch some food YouTubers and they are really making me want one of those machines.

The wife is a minimalist, though, and since the kitchen is her declared domain I’m not sure she’s want another appliance, especially that size.  Still, I might push my luck anyway and get one.

7 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Flats are greatly improved one you know how to peel the cartilage off the tip and pull the bones out leaving a true boneless wing.

I've never been in such a hurry to devour my chicken wings that I felt I needed a more efficient strategy. I just bite some good stuff off the middle and then separate the bones to finish the job. Also, no thanks on the cartilage.

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, RH said:

My wife does the cooking but I’ve been soooo tempted.  I’m getting old so I now watch some food YouTubers and they are really making me want one of those machines.

The wife is a minimalist, though, and since the kitchen is her declared domain I’m not sure she’s want another appliance, especially that size.  Still, I might push my luck anyway and get one.

It's really not THAT big; note that you only really need the stick itself, no real need for a big tub and all the other accoutrements. Heck, get the Nano, it's half price right now: Anova Precision® Cooker Nano – Anova Culinary

For $100 that's a must-buy IMO.

Instead of a big tub you can just use a big pot, surely you already have a big pot you'd use for stew and the like. Fill 'er with water and attach the machine to it, it does all the work. You can use freezer ziplock bags and use water displacement to basically vacuum seal your food. It's so easy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I've never been in such a hurry to devour my chicken wings that I felt I needed a more efficient strategy. I just bite some good stuff off the middle and then separate the bones to finish the job. Also, no thanks on the cartilage.

Dittos to cartridge being gross but this strategy changed my chicken wing life when I learned it about 5 years ago. The benefit is if you have a side condiment for dipping, you now have a crispy, boneless piece of meat that’s much more easy to dip and eat. I use to feel drums were better for dipping and flats for animalistic devouring, but once I started twisting out the bones, I had no better arguments for the drums.

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's really not THAT big; note that you only really need the stick itself, no real need for a big tub and all the other accoutrements. Heck, get the Nano, it's half price right now: Anova Precision® Cooker Nano – Anova Culinary

For $100 that's a must-buy IMO.

Instead of a big tub you can just use a big pot, surely you already have a big pot you'd use for stew and the like. Fill 'er with water and attach the machine to it, it does all the work. You can use freezer ziplock bags and use water displacement to basically vacuum seal your food. It's so easy.

That’s $75 USD and I think you just cost me $75! (Thank you, btw!)

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

This is the way.

I prefer flats just in general but dumlettes are earlier to dip which I appreciate.