IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

Kid Niki is done. What an abysmal game. Levels are uninspired and repetitive slogs, the hit detection truly awful at times. I got stuck in walls on several occassions, too. Not to mention that this game has only two songs which get obnoxious really quickly. And the graphics are at times so spectacularly awful, that they would be more at home on the Atari 2600 with its monochrome background and primitive rectangular shapes. This is bottom of the barrel. Never again.

Kid Niki.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Kid Niki is done. What an abysmal game. Levels are uninspired and repetitive slogs, the hit detection truly awful at times. I got stuck in walls on several occassions, too. Not to mention that this game has only two songs which get obnoxious really quickly. And the graphics are at times so spectacularly awful, that they would be more at home on the Atari 2600 with its monochrome background and primitive rectangular shapes. This is bottom of the barrel. Never again.

Kid Niki.jpg

It's too bad you didn't like it a little better.  I found this one to be fairly solid in spite of its flaws.  I really liked the platforming part with the little islands moving up and down and the things flying up that made the jumping/landing really dangerous.  Also, I always felt like I was able to get a good flow going.  Plus it's got no shortage of wonderful Japanese weirdness.  That one song does get a little old though...

28 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Kid Niki is mediocre for sure. The sequels on the Famicom are better. Definitely try Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2 sometime. It's easily one of the 25 best platformers left in Japan, and better than half of the ones we got on the NES.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 186/667 (bonus games - tba)

Base Wars is done. I've been playing this off and on all day, as I've had other things to do and the longest part is letting the computer teams' games play out. It's a serious flaw that you can't flash through those in a moment like most other baseball games even of this era, but otherwise this is a serious gem.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.44b3be62f73ca388ca02330d8ee2cfa2.jpeg

image.jpeg.d66c0a1abbc63ca20a3cd72ba9566383.jpeg

"Beat" Mario Bros. (the original). I had to play it in Animal Crossing because I don't have it for my NES anymore. The NES version seems to repeat on either Phase 18 or 19. I got to Phase 20. Also, I had to be quick about taking the pictures so they're a little blurry compared to my other pictures.

image.jpeg.2fe682041a67b6bce14484a959ce6c4b.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52

Jeopardy 25th Anniversary Edition is done. This one has much tougher questions than the other two early ones, and is also the one I've played least. I got whipped on my first try (being in the negatives entering Final Jeopardy), and only got it on my second try with a slim lead and an easy final question.

• Like 1