IGNORED

Game shelves near windows when it is cold outside

I been rearranging my apartment, and the most logical place to put the game shelves atm is with their back to the curtains/windows. These are old windows, so the seal sucks and just a single glass pane means you do notice the cold when you put your hand near it. I know cold isn't the greatest with electronic things, do you think that this could damage them long-term or no? Thank you guys and gals 🙂

Does the sun stream through those windows? I'd be worried about UV light, too. Unless the shelves are closed back.

Single pane windows aren't the greatest, but if the air temp itself around the window isn't too bad, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Also, if the seal is leaking, I'd be concerned about moisture. Have your landlord fix the seal with some silicone to make sure. 

Maybe put a small thermometer/hygrometer like one of these near/on the shelf just to check temp/humidity:

Thermometer/hygrometer

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1

Shelves are closed back and there is a curtain as well, so UV not a concern and these do help block cold air as well. I'm downtown so also use those frosted window things on the panes. The seal around the glass is alright, it's just the wooden frames are warped.

I know am probably overthinking things, it's just that I do live in Ontario so it can get coooold. 

The thermometer is a good idea @Tulpa 

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

Shelves are closed back and there is a curtain as well, so UV not a concern and these do help block cold air as well. I'm downtown so also use those frosted window things on the panes. The seal around the glass is alright, it's just the wooden frames are warped.

I know am probably overthinking things, it's just that I do live in Ontario so it can get coooold. 

The thermometer is a good idea @Tulpa 

You could also get one of those kits where you can seal up the whole window with a thin plastic.  You will need a hair dryer and a scissors - everything else should be in the kit,  It creates a dead air space which acts as a good insulating layer.   In the spring it comes off easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

You could also get one of those kits where you can seal up the whole window with a thin plastic.  You will need a hair dryer and a scissors - everything else should be in the kit,  It creates a dead air space which acts as a good insulating layer.   In the spring it comes off easily.

These are amazing for insulation/moisture. I used to have windows that would create condensation, but then it would freeze overnight into huge chunks of ice in the winter. Putting the plastic up saved ALL that mess, and also jkeop the apartment a lot warmer in the winter.  

If you're going to want to open the window in spring, you obviously take the plastic down, but you could leave it.

But that begs the question.... if you want it to be a functional window why would you put a shelf in front of it? 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, phart010 said:

Also, if anybody has some advice, I’ve been thinking about putting some game shelves outside in my backyard 🙂  

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I would encourage this. If anything, to see Dr. Morbis have the mother of all aneurysms.  😛

...only if he was doing it because of his wife and then telling us all that it was what he wanted...  😉

• Haha 1