IGNORED

New Sonic the Hedgehog trailer - featuring improved Sonic

Teh_Lurv

Sooooo much better. That other shit was well, merde. Just that original cgi would have made the movie fail, now even if the movie still sucks it might do a little better, actually who knows, may actually stand a chance at being fun to watch. Though I have no interest in the movie myself other than I was on youtube one day, saw there was going be a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, watched trailer out of curiosity, cringed and though, yep, insta-flop, typical of video game to movie movies. Good to see they listened to the voices of fans and actually made the appropriate changes to make Sonic look and even behave closer to his game character. One thing that I've always hated with some fantasy movies from a favorite license though, why do they always have to come to Earth? That was the same issue I had with Masters of the Universe, sure I enjoyed it, always have but damn, keep it all true to the source material, fuck Earth, we see that every day. Anyway, hope the Sonic movie does decently well, after all they did go back and fix him.

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Detective Pikachu was a kids movie, but it had great trailers with actually funny jokes, and it turned out well. There are loads of kids movies that are well written and great fun.

^This.  Detective Pikachi is the best example of this kind of hybrid live action meets animation since Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and took a lot of que’s from that.

Pokémon looked great and Ryan Reynolds was legit funny and managed to sneak in enough adult humor to make it about more than cute animals.  Only letdown was the awful acting by the human cast, they should be banished back to the Disney channel or wherever they found them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I have to believe that "bad Sonic" was a calculated marketing ploy to drum up interest for a movie that was destined to bomb. Now they've at least bought some good will with fans who were on the fence.

Or maybe Hollywood execs really are that clueless.

I thought about that, but you're giving Hollywood execs way too much credit -- they're not that smart! Although if the Sonic movie is a big success, maybe they'll purposely start releasing "bad" trailers on purpose. 

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

I thought about that, but you're giving Hollywood execs way too much credit -- they're not that smart! Although if the Sonic movie is a big success, maybe they'll purposely start releasing "bad" trailers on purpose. 

The theory that the bad CGI version was a publicity stunt has been debunked by Tyson Hesse. He was recruited to fix Sonic after the entire debacle. For those who don't know, Tyson Hesse was the art directer for Sonic Mania Adventures, the small cartoons SEGA put out to promote Mania. Source: 

There's also the fact that they had merchandise for that eldritch monstrosity already being worked on:

ImageImage

As fun as the theory is... it wasn't a conspiracy or clever marketing ploy. They were just that incompetent.