IGNORED

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Mario_Friend1982

Social Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Link said:

Yeah, I kinda expected that because I can clearly hear the difference.  The, "I'm Will Smith as a clam, I'm Will Smith as a Kangaroo" totally is the point.  Also love how he point out that Robin Williams WAS a voice actor and an actor.  There are those who can do both and in the Super Mario Bros movie that would be Jack Black.  I had to listen hard to hear HIS voice and not Bowser's.  Now sometimes the actor/actress voice is perfect for the role so no need to make too much change.  But in those cases they are being type cast or the writer had that person in mind so they fit like a glove when voicing the character.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

That right there is a sad reminder of when SNL used to be often funny, now you get lucky once every season or few.  That's a solid piece of work.

But let's be honest here, I found the real Super Mario movie.

This is the first I've seen of this.  Any clue if any cels from this film exist or have popped up for sale?

5 minutes ago, RH said:

This is the first I've seen of this.  Any clue if any cels from this film exist or have popped up for sale?

Not that I'm aware of.  I followed this from awhile back so I saved it on youtube until that, then saved it.  It was lost media basically in Japan, sketchy crap quality VHS level stuff.  It was found, pieces better than others, all scanned, archived, AI or whatever level restoration and upsampling to 4K to get it as clean as currently recoverably possible, then subbed for people outside Japan to enjoy.  I've never seen cels, but if they exist they'd probably cross over on yahoo japan auctions before it hit ebay.

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Not that I'm aware of.  I followed this from awhile back so I saved it on youtube until that, then saved it.  It was lost media basically in Japan, sketchy crap quality VHS level stuff.  It was found, pieces better than others, all scanned, archived, AI or whatever level restoration and upsampling to 4K to get it as clean as currently recoverably possible, then subbed for people outside Japan to enjoy.  I've never seen cels, but if they exist they'd probably cross over on yahoo japan auctions before it hit ebay.

Thanks.  That 1983-1988, old school janky Mario is my favorite.  This is that look, at it's peak.

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Thanks.  That 1983-1988, old school janky Mario is my favorite.  This is that look, at it's peak.

Yeah I agree, it's a lot of fun.  Check it out, it's cool seeing Mario playing in some weird 4th wall level stuff a famicom at the start, and then it gets weird when SMB1 stuff pops out of the screen.  Peach, random enemies, then the big guy and off it goes.  Even Luigi has the wrong colored clothes on and the story really works well for what it is.

I re-read the junk below in the text under the video, I forgot a few years back they found an 18mm original print of the movie because the tape stuff was so bad, and this was so nicely preserved and intact they used it for the remastering to bring it up to some blu ray retail level quality output.  Jack the video quality up as high as your computer and streaming can handle and enjoy.  It's mirrored over at the archive dot org site too if anyone would want to (hardware permitting) make a real copy to toss into a player.

I appreciated the missing image/dead link.  That was a nice touch.  I mean, they are definitely going full-nostalgia/easter eggs with this one.  I wouldn't mind seeing an ugly, SMB: The Movie, Yoshi Dinosaur walking by or even a voice cameo by Samantha Mathis or John Leguizamo, but I think that might be a bit too brave for the studio.  I'd imagine Miyamoto wouldn't want to make a joke like that.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

Has anyone tried dialing the phone number on the commercial? It an actual working number 

Legit NYC number they paid for.  You get a recording of Luigi.  It's pretty amusing around 40sec long, says you can text them and ask anything you want using the same phone number, pointed out the website is there and is under construction still.  Their motto is Lets-a-go when fixing your plumbing needs.

EDIT - I threw a text at it.  Gives a weblink, and they tank for interest in their business, they're a family owned operating plumber providing white glove service.  Click the link to get updates, offerings, and more.

EDIT 2: Haha they went all out.  I went through, you can give them an email and stuff, basics, no sign up required for other bs you don't want.  It texted back an iphone contact card, and thanked me for being a customer.  They also said if I ever need help to text ON THE DOUBLE to get right back to me.

Doing that says they're backlogged and trying to 1-up their competition, and will get back to me as soon as possible, offered up a business card for the future with a weblink.  And there it is, a yellow business card with them standing arms crossed with a plunger up, business, phone, site etc on it.  They really did a nice little bonus here all things considered.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

Has anyone tried dialing the phone number on the commercial? It an actual working number 

https://twitter.com/Boos2fer/status/1624873696568508416?s=20

Edit: I also read that Jeannie Ellis (Princess Toadstool from the SMB Super Show) voiced the woman in the ad.

Edited by Teh_Lurv
  • Wow! 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, G-type said:

I do find it rather telling how LITTLE they have featured of Pratt's voice in any of the trailers... I have feeling this has turned into an "Ugly Sonic" situation and they are working hard behind the scenes to have him redub it to sound less like Chris Pratt 

Voice modulation? Possibly.  Cutting as much vocals as they can? Possibly that too.

I mean, Mario was often a silent protagonist in most games so they could try to make him more emotional than someone who says much.  I also heard more Martinet sounds in this trailer.

There’s also the possibility they haven’t changed a thing.  Instead they minimized Pratt just so people don’t see how bad it is. (And I mean Pratt as Mario. Not really the film itself.)

15 minutes ago, Sumez said:

There is absolutely no reason Pratt should be bad as Mario, it's kinda crazy how out of hand the backlash has gotten. 

I wonder what was going through the directors minds when they cast Pratt as Mario. I wonder what the rationale was, if any.

• Agree 1

I still don't get the epic level of childish backlash over Pratt either @Sumez seems more like a case of selfish behavior coupled with entitled fanboys who saw how Sonic fans roasted the ugly original model bad enough they think they're entitled for a re-do on this one as well.  It won't happen.  One is icing a bad model and just re-rendering it for the scenes.  And the other is basically firing a 7 figures+ salaryman in acting to re-do it with a negative stereotype party voice that Martinet did/does which is great for a few words or sounds, but for speaking is fairly grating sustained.  I don't think they're even minimizing Mario much with the various trailers as you get plenty of sounds, words, sentences and it's clear it's not a stereotype anymore but more of a natural sounding brooklyn italian accent and people are insanely losing the shit over it which is amazing to me.

It’s just an opinion, some think what they have heard so far sounds like garbage for Mario and some don’t care. It’s the Internet we’re allowed to discuss if we don’t like something just as everyone else is allowed to say it’s great. To me it sounds like garbage so I’m going to voice that opinion in the Mario thread. 

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3