IGNORED

MagFest 2023 (Jan 5-8)

Deadeye

I was gonna go to this before Covid but someone mentioned it’s more about music than gaming although the site seems to have a lot about gaming. Since I moved to NY over the summer I’d probably be out and wait for the Long Island convention to come back around. I really need to get my ass to a convention though, still haven’t done it in 7 or so years of collecting 

Homebrew Team · Posted

@a3quit4s

I haven't been to many conventions: Too Many games twice, Another Video Game Con once, and MagFest once.  Magfest has very small trade floor for used games compared to the other two.  However MagFest has tons of free to play arcade games / consoles (24hours), much more panels, and many indie developers showing off their new and upcoming games.  It was a blast, as I wasn't really looking for pickups and the other aspects it brings was really good.  I am going and looking forward to it.  If can in the future, check it out. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted

I'm aware of Magfest just because that was the con that ScrewAttack would attend and actually spend time with fans enjoying the con.  It was a relatively small con so you could actually spent time with a small group of people and have fun.  I've always heard good things about the event and never thought it wouldn't be fun for video game lovers.  Besides my local cons it's the one con that I want to attend at some point.  It seems like it's kind of my people's con given that I like to party.  Drinks and video games??  Where do I sign up?

Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

• 5 weeks later...

@Deadeye what'd you do? highlights?

my magic show went very well.

I came in 3rd place in an Atari Warlords tournament and got a cheap plastic trophy and a $1 token for my prize.

enjoyed seeing the JVC videosphere and playing Food fight on a wood finish RCA Console television in the computer museum.

played a bunch of pinball in the Arcade.

caught a couple concerts: The Game Brass and Skatune Network.

JS Joust was fun as always. Too bad there was only 1 officially scheduled event for it.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

@G-typeNice!  Bummer I didn't get to see your show, but great it was so popular that it reached capacity!  Pinball at MagFest is awesome.

Here are snippets of what I did over the festival

Of course have to take the I am here photo:

Stopped by and checked out the Homebrew area and play some games:
First up was Guntner! Here is a photo of the dev next to their sick poster standee

Next played Onyx the Fortuitous and Courier by @KHAN Gamesand @Peek-A-Brews!

Played Hara Force (sequel to Haradius Zero, but now a vertical shooter), @neodolphinowill releasing the NES version in a few days.

Stopped and toured the Indie Show floor:
Played Gunhawk, homebrew under developed by the same dev that did Fire and Rescue (Skyboy Games)

Switch 'n' Shoot

and Line Wobbler

Had to checkout the awesome arcade room as well:

Checked out some panels:

Crazy Japanese Video Game Commercials

Video Game History Foundation Archives
Here is a video of a Macho Man Outtake
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cpJeygGMKoARNSt6LW9iKK9f-9SFk-Gb/view?usp=sharing

Also went to panels on Cyberpunk in Japanese Media, Comedy Q&A, and City Pop

Took a seat at the 8-Bit Big Band:

And lastly, but most importantly, fun back at the rental with @neodolphinoand Eric of Troy

• Like 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, G-type said:

I'm fortunate to live about 25 minutes away, so I have never had to worry about getting a room.

Well, now that you've revealed that, you're going to have folks vying to become best buds with you once a year so they can sleep on your couch versus joining Thunderdome for a hotel room, lol!