IGNORED

Mighty Final Fight Or SNES Final Fight

Nintegageo

Which?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Mighty FF or Final Fight?

• Mighty Final Fight
    • Final Fight

I want to give it to the SNES game, but I can't.  There just were too many cuts compared to the cute chibi style NES title.  Neither are source right, but at least the NES one isn't lacking as much content and I don't just mean Guy being cut out, the rest.  No stick boys but the girls, stages are more and varied, just different, but also not outright lacking.  SNES loses Rolento and his stage and overly stays the welcome of Abigails boring stage.  NES game also has more bonus stages I believe too.

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I want to give it to the SNES game, but I can't.  There just were too many cuts compared to the cute chibi style NES title.  Neither are source right, but at least the NES one isn't lacking as much content and I don't just mean Guy being cut out, the rest.  No stick boys but the girls, stages are more and varied, just different, but also not outright lacking.  SNES loses Rolento and his stage and overly stays the welcome of Abigails boring stage.  NES game also has more bonus stages I believe too.

I actually don't mind the missing stage since the game is fairly long as is due to the length of the Bay Area and Uptown stages. It wasn't on the poll, but Final Fight Guy fixed most of the slowdown that is in the original as well as adding the exclusive 1 up and invincibility items. Mighty Final Fight is a fun game, but I still prefer the SNES Final Fight even with its issues.

• Like 1

I have to admit that, while I appreciated the attempt and the achievement of Mighty Final Fight, I honestly found the game play itself to be kind of boring. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it was lacking but it just didn't have the same fun-factor as something like Double Dragon 2. It's been many years since I last tried it and maybe I should boot it up again to see if my opinions have changed but, yeah, I remember being initially impressed with the graphics and then sorely disappointed by the game play.

So, I suppose that means SNES Final Fight wins this one by default for me. While it is an inferior and somewhat neutered port, it still has the style and fun of the arcade original...just a bit lonely.

I picked SNES Final Fight.  In spite of all its flaws, it's still a decent port of a great game.  I also think the music is slightly better than the original arcade OST.

Mighty Final Fight never impressed me enough to bother with it.  There's something fundamentally wrong with taking an intense game like this and trying to make it cute.

18 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Which do you rank higher? MFF has levels and Guy, SNES has next gen tech and soundtrack. No Guy though. Neither has 2 player co-op which is their lowest aspect.

Hummer's has co-op too 😉

edit: Hummer's is easily in my top 50 FC games of all time, btw.

Edited by fcgamer

7 hours ago, rdrunner said:

I picked SNES Final Fight.  In spite of all its flaws, it's still a decent port of a great game.

Mighty Final Fight never impressed me enough to bother with it.  There's something fundamentally wrong with taking an intense game like this and trying to make it cute.

these are my thoughts too. never compared the audio snes vs. arcade, so no opinion on that bit.

7 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Neither. Hummer's FF3 port for the Famicom was my favorite, and my ex felt the same way. After that, I'd pick Mighty Final Fight. The SFC / SNES entry never particularly impressed me.

Now that I would have love to have come across a copy of that, just like the SF2 clone I got off you which really is the most accurate of those pirate period pieces.  I've seen a clip of that FF3 clone it looked fairly solid, though like when you thought you had it a little while ago I still think the Samurai Spirits conversion was insanely good, the one with the full intro and non-bloated roster.

For anyone curious, fast searched this but didn't watch, pretty sure this is it though.:

Edited by Tanooki

Man this one was really tough. I knew mff first and played through it a lot. Great NES beat em up. One of the best of the category that doesnt get brought up a whole lot. 

But this is one of FEW where I say snes > nes. The snes final fight games are masterpieces if you ask me. Big street fighter fan and when I found out there was basically a street fighter style beat em up, I couldn't believe it existed as long as it did without me knowing. Where was the heads up everyone I know? Great games - all of them.

The mentioned downside of no co-op was quickly remedied in the sequel. I have a brother in law who isnt huge into gaming, but we beat final fight 2 together quite a bit. Thats an upside to mff and all the final fight snes games. They are true pick up and play beat em ups. A casual gamer can enjoy and not get his/her ass kicked. But theres still plenty of challenge in going the distance with them

MFF is fantastic, and probably the only Final Fight game that really relies on a notable behavioral difference between each enemy type to make fighting different combinations more involved (probably because they had to, with the game's 2-enemy limit). Definitely throwing my vote for that one!

It's actually possible to hack the game to allow 3 simultaneous enemies, but because the game is also designed to not allow two of the same enemy type, that means that every mixup suddenly becomes nearly the same, which actually makes the game less interesting.

11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Man this one was really tough. I knew mff first and played through it a lot. Great NES beat em up. One of the best of the category that doesnt get brought up a whole lot. 

But this is one of FEW where I say snes > nes. The snes final fight games are masterpieces if you ask me. Big street fighter fan and when I found out there was basically a street fighter style beat em up, I couldn't believe it existed as long as it did without me knowing. Where was the heads up everyone I know? Great games - all of them.

Have you played Final Fight 3? They added special moves and a Super Street Fighter II Turbo style charge meter that let you do a high powered combo type move. If you haven't, I would recommended since it seems like something you would really like.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

After seeing this and a youtube u can beat videogames guy hit FF on SNES as well I decided to give it one shot, no continues, been over a decade.  I got into the andore cage match before I clocked out.  Kind of hard when  you haven't used the game in a long time, but I went in with Haggar and it was a pretty fun ride.  You really do need to approach each type a bit differently, especially with big slow guy there too, to navigate surviving the stages and staying ahead in lives.  That samurai clown did some serious damage unfortunately.  I do admit on the whole the 3 games are fantastic, that third one is just magic, I'd put it easily over streets of rage despite some sega fanboy frothing.

11 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Have you played Final Fight 3? They added special moves and a Super Street Fighter II Turbo style charge meter that let you do a high powered combo type move. If you haven't, I would recommended since it seems like something you would really like.

I have a copy and it is my favorite of the series. Took me forever to find one with a nice conditioned label without paying way above going rate. It didn't disappoint. Adding special moves was brilliant. Street fighter 2 alpha charge meter and moves also very cool. Last couple years Ive played that more than sf2 turbo. 

I will probably revisit ff3 tonight. I played some ff1 last night inspired by this thread. I usually play 2 or 3 and I didnt remember the slowdown and other flaws people complained about with ff1. I understand it somewhat now, but I still wouldnt call it clunky or anything like that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I have a copy and it is my favorite of the series. Took me forever to find one with a nice conditioned label without paying way above going rate. It didn't disappoint. Adding special moves was brilliant. Street fighter 2 alpha charge meter and moves also very cool. Last couple years Ive played that more than sf2 turbo. 

I will probably revisit ff3 tonight. I played some ff1 last night inspired by this thread. I usually play 2 or 3 and I didnt remember the slowdown and other flaws people complained about with ff1. I understand it somewhat now, but I still wouldnt call it clunky or anything like that. 

Final Fight Guy fixed the slowdown and added some new items. I always played as Guy in the arcade, so it's my preferred version. It also makes you beat it on expert difficulty to get the full ending, which makes for an added challenge.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Final Fight 3 is quite the experience. Probably my favorite beat ‘em up on the SNES.

I totally agree with the last two posts, among its peers MFF on the NES is tops, right in there as the #1 pure brawler on the system (since RCR has RPG elements), don't care what the DD2 fans say, it's excellent, but that's maybe from a multiplayer stand point but core game it's an equal.  Final Fight 3 though it's likely the best of those brawlers released multi-regionally on the system, and that's no knock on the system given the SNES has some utterly amazing brawlers, even the B-team stuff is quite competent too.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I totally agree with the last two posts, among its peers MFF on the NES is tops, right in there as the #1 pure brawler on the system (since RCR has RPG elements), don't care what the DD2 fans say, it's excellent, but that's maybe from a multiplayer stand point but core game it's an equal.  Final Fight 3 though it's likely the best of those brawlers released multi-regionally on the system, and that's no knock on the system given the SNES has some utterly amazing brawlers, even the B-team stuff is quite competent too.

MFF does remind me of RCR without the RPG elements. I can beat RCR without a lot of grinding, but the arguement could be made that MFF is the better pure beat em up of the two. I do think Double Dragon II is the best beat em up on the NES, but there are a lot of good ones.

I could see that, I think MFF edges out DD2, but that's only preference because I've been less of a fan of flat plane brawler games, I like moving space which most the game has, but places it just doesn't and it gets a bit sketchy.  But definitely MFF is very like RCR without the purchaseable upgrades because you do earn them as you grow, but yet never left feeling like you were lacking either needing to grind for coin.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:36 PM, NESfiend said:

I honestly wasn't a fan of the added special moves and the super meter in FF3. For me, it's the easiest of the three games and the special/super moves make it even easier. I 1cc'd the game the first time I played it which I found a bit surprising since the second one seem to be a bit more difficult.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:36 PM, NESfiend said:

Did you get that game of FF3 in? I played it today and was able to 1cc it on Expert, but I haven't been able to no death it like the first one. I need to play FF2 some time soon. For whatever reason I haven't played it in a while.

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you get that game of FF3 in? I played it today and was able to 1cc it on Expert, but I haven't been able to no death it like the first one. I need to play FF2 some time soon. For whatever reason I haven't played it in a while.

Got all of about ten minutes on it and got pulled in other directions with a kid who couldn't sleep. I will get back to it before long. Your comments made me want to go to final fight guy though. I have it but never put any real time in. 

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Got all of about ten minutes on it and got pulled in other directions with a kid who couldn't sleep. I will get back to it before long. Your comments made me want to go to final fight guy though. I have it but never put any real time in. 

Final Fight Guy definitely runs smoother that the original. The 1 up and invincibility items don't change that much with the gameplay unless you really need the extra lives to finish the game since you have to beat it on expert difficulty to see the full ending.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug