IGNORED

Mighty Final Fight Or SNES Final Fight

Nintegageo

Which?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Mighty FF or Final Fight?

• Mighty Final Fight
    • Final Fight

I haven't played Mighty Final Fight but it looks pretty limited with only 2 enemies on screen at once. SNES Final Fight (and FF Guy) on the other hand is one of my favorite games ever, so it got my vote. I have SNES Final Fight, SFC Final Fight Guy, Final Fight CD, Final Fight One on GBA, and Final Fight Arcade via Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle. They all bring something unique to the table. The SNES port tones down the difficulty to a level suitable for a home console (even if largely due to technical limitations of 3 enemies at once) and limits continues to force you to learn how to play the game instead of just credit feeding your way through.

@Bearcat-Doug Did you (ab)use the infinite combo technique for your no-death clears? I don't use it and I don't have a consistent no-death strategy for Katana and I don't know if I've ever no-deathed Abigail.

Final Fight 2 is too easy even on the hardest difficulty and is a slog to play through with enemies with huge healthbars.

Final Fight 3 is pretty good but doesn't match the fun of the first game imo.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, LHCGreg said:

@Bearcat-Doug Did you (ab)use the infinite combo technique for your no-death clears? I don't use it and I don't have a consistent no-death strategy for Katana and I don't know if I've ever no-deathed Abigail.

Final Fight 2 is too easy even on the hardest difficulty and is a slog to play through with enemies with huge healthbars.

Final Fight 3 is pretty good but doesn't match the fun of the first game imo.

Those are the two toughest bosses for me too. For Katana, I try to grab him as soon as he stand up and throw him across the ring and pick up a sword. When he gets up, he will either stand there bent over or charge at you. If he's bent over, you can hit him with the sword. If he charges as soon as he gets up, use your special attack to knock him down. The safest way is after you throw him, go the opposite direction so you have more time to react. If he runs at you, use the special attack, but if he comes walking towards you, hit him with the sword or get above/below him where you can grab him safely and throw him again. As far as Abigail goes, you can grab him as soon as he runs in and throw him against the right side of the screen. If you do this correctly, you can grab him as soon as he stands up and throw him against the side of the screen repeatedly and he'll never hit you. The only issue is dealing with the other enemies at the same time. If they distract you and he gets up before you can grab him, go to the other side of the screen and take out the other enemies while simply jump kicking him when he charges at you. You can also throw the enemies at him, which takes care of both problems at once. I agree with you on the other two games. Final Fight 2 is way too long. That's one reason I don't mind the missing stage from the first one. Final Fight 3 just seems like a different game. It's a fun game, but it plays more like a side scrolling version of Street Fighter Alpha than the other two games. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but like you said, it seems to be missing the same level of fun as the original.

I have the same Katana strat. I usually lose 1 life in that fight as specials drain my life too much. I have to get lucky with relatively few wakeup charges to no-death that fight.

I haven't tried repeatedly throwing Abigail. I'm always too scared of his wonky hitboxes to get in close beyond grabbing him after his initial entry. I'll give it a shot next time I play.

1 hour ago, LHCGreg said:

I have the same Katana strat. I usually lose 1 life in that fight as specials drain my life too much. I have to get lucky with relatively few wakeup charges to no-death that fight.

I haven't tried repeatedly throwing Abigail. I'm always too scared of his wonky hitboxes to get in close beyond grabbing him after his initial entry. I'll give it a shot next time I play.

They do work, but they are tough to pull off. I usually try to play for a high score, but it is fun to mix it up and see if I can beat it on one life.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:36 PM, NESfiend said:

I have a copy and it is my favorite of the series. Took me forever to find one with a nice conditioned label without paying way above going rate. It didn't disappoint. Adding special moves was brilliant. Street fighter 2 alpha charge meter and moves also very cool. Last couple years Ive played that more than sf2 turbo. 

I will probably revisit ff3 tonight. I played some ff1 last night inspired by this thread. I usually play 2 or 3 and I didnt remember the slowdown and other flaws people complained about with ff1. I understand it somewhat now, but I still wouldnt call it clunky or anything like that. 

What do you think of Final Fight 2? I played through it yesterday and man is it tedious. There are so many enemies with ridiculously long life bars. That's one downside of Final Fight Guy. You have to beat the game on Expert to get the full ending and it adds enough extra enemies and bumps their life bars up to where it takes about an hour to finish the game, which is pretty long for a beat em up.

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

What do you think of Final Fight 2? 

Ive only played the 2 player option last handful of years. I know what you mean by tedious though. My brother and law and I beat it a few times. By the end, I am def no longer having fun and just beating it to beat it. But like 3, it does feel less klunky than 1. 

38 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Ive only played the 2 player option last handful of years. I know what you mean by tedious though. My brother and law and I beat it a few times. By the end, I am def no longer having fun and just beating it to beat it. But like 3, it does feel less klunky than 1. 

They toned down Haggar in FF2 which was a bad move given the ridiculous life bars that the enemies have. I usually play on normal difficulty just so it doesn't take me well over an hour to finish the game. I don't think it plays much differently than the first one outside of being way too long.

I love FF for SNES.  Obviously, it isn't perfect. It was a very early SNES title, but it plays really well.  In some ways I think it controls better than the original arcade game.  I've heard sega fanboys harp on it over the years because of it's missing content while trying to compare it to SOR2 or the SegaCD version.  I don't think that's a fair comparison, but no one wants to talk about Thunder Fox or Growl 😆.

• Like 1