IGNORED

What makes your favorite games, your favorite?

AstralSoul

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Don't you lump NSMBU in with those freaking DS games!

Please forgive my ignorance. I played the Wii game mostly, and I have the first DS game. I haven't played U. 

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I think what I'm trying to say is SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3.

🤣 

agreed!

I’ve always been a fan of JRPGs and action RPGs. Kingdom Hearts 2 was a formative gaming experience for me, I loved the combat (Kingdom Hearts 3 probably has the best combat in an ARPG to date, honestly). As I’ve grown older I just can’t do turn-based RPGs anymore, I don’t have the time and energy anymore. But Final Fantasy 6 was probably my favorite for a long time.

I can still do action RPGs though, and by some dumb fluke I hadn’t played any Souls games until recently. I got a PS5 and downloaded Demon’s Souls and I’m hooked. That remake is a personal 10/10 for me and now I’m going back and playing the rest of the series. In any type of game I play, I value the ability to customize my playstyle. Souls games thrive on that aspect. I love the combat, I love the customization, I love the level design, how these games encourage you to play different ways, to explore off the usual path, to approach situations in an unorthodox way, and to replay the game with different tactics. I haven’t enjoyed a gaming experience this much in years.

• Like 2

Great question. Going from games like SMW and DKC, to my Favourite was crazy. At first I hated it. I wasn't into puzzles in games but they eventually made me smile. The bosses, the music, the Easter eggs were amazing. 

And to this day. Its the ONLY game I had to use a walkthrough guide for. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, final fight cd said:

I don’t think too many 8/16 but shmups to do this.  Only ones I can think of, which may not even do it, is the sfc parodius series.  Unless others do it to a degree that I wasn’t able to pick up on. 

Generally most arcade games do it, and shooters are inherently an arcade genre. In terms of 8/16 bit shooters, I'd say it's probably more likely to see in games that were ported from the arcade - such as the parodius and gradius games of course 🙂

I also don't think it's an absolute evil. There's a delicate balance to it - when you get better at a game it's generally fun to be challenged more as well. And of course, there's the really oddball examples like Battle Garegga where managing rank (ie. the dynamic difficulty adjustments) is a straight up intentional(?) metagame that adds an crazy amount of depth and on-the-fly tactics for the people willing to delve into the mechanics. Reading about it sounds insane at first (especially when you get to the point where you start incorporating intentional suicides), but it's actually a ton of fun.

But more likely to stand out I guess are the more offensive examples. I really love Parodius Da, but the rank in the orignal arcade version of that game is just too much off the charts. Even if you manage it perfectly, it will completely max out a few stages before the end, and if you get to the final stage without using continues it becomes pure (bullet) hell.

Edited by Sumez

Graphics Team · Posted

The biggest factors for what makes my "favorite game(s)":

Aesthetics
(As a visual artist myself, how a game looks and sounds has a disproportionate influence on how much I enjoy it. My favorite game visuals are 8-bit renditions of biomechanical or cutesy, pastel imagery.)

Simplicity
(My favorite games tend to follow a pick-up-and-play philosophy. I prefer gameplay that capitalizes on simple mechanics rather than adding unnecessary bells and whistles for perceived depth. And obviously the controls have to be intuitive and well-implemented.)

Era
(There’s a certain appeal to games from the 8-bit / 16-bit era that’s missing from more modern releases. Even aftermarket games that mimic the classic-style don’t scratch the itch for me - so my favorite games tend to be authentic late-70s to early-90s titles.)

Accessibility
(I’m part of the zillenial generation who likes hand-holding in games. I can’t fully enjoy a game if it's too much of a struggle for me to clear. And if I want to replay a game to the end, I like knowing that I can do so without a tremendous effort.)

Obscurity
(For better or worse, I’m a nonconformist - and my taste in games reflects that. As much as I might like some universally-praised games, my brain refuses to accept them as my favorites.)

Nostalgia isn’t a significant factor for me, considering I discovered my current favorite game in 2017. Replayability isn’t a high priority either - sometimes one playthrough is all I need for a fulfilling gaming experience.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

My favorites are my favorites because I keep going back and playing them, or I've already played them to death.  I can go for years without playing Zelda alttp, but I'll still remember where all the heart pieces are.  I'm not talking about games I just do quick casual plays of either.  Some games I won't beat, but will just play with the idea of meeting some arbitrary challenge or goal in mind.   In Double Dragon for example, I don't knock Abobo off the conveyor anymore but will fight him instead, or in the cave I'll jump down into the first pit just to fight the Ropers with the boulder.  The best part is the wall.  These days I just think it's hilarious when it soaks up all my lives ending my game.

2 hours ago, CMR said:

My favorites are my favorites because I keep going back and playing them, or I've already played them to death. 

I think the question this thread is trying to aim for here is... why do you keep going back to those games and play them to death? 😛 What shared trait makes them better than the rest.

Edited by Sumez

In essence it usually boils down to a game having some unique quality in the control or game play that sets it apart and makes it fun and interesting enough to inspire me to return.

A good counter example though would be Chrono Trigger.  Although the active battle system was unique and made the game quick and fun it's really the story that has brought me back to it so many times.

Ghosts & Goblins: It's the enemy behavior.  Although there are patterns to be deciphered and relied upon there is a great deal of variability in how an enemy will move and attack and no matter how many successive play-throughs one gets into it, that behavior continues to change and thus offers seemingly no end to new flick-of-the-wrist situations that require quick thinking and improvisation.

I often like games that have, for lack of a better way of putting it: "bad level design" because this tends to allow for unusually awkward situations in navigation, enemy avoidance/killing etc.  A couple of NES games like this (off the top of my head) would be Stanley and Cool World.

Games like Snake Rattle N Roll or Mario 64 offer 3D structures in which common movements like running, jumping, climbing, turning in mid air, wall kicks, flips, sliding and so on offer something comparable to limitless possibilities.

I consider the WipEout Franchise to be the premiere racing experience in part because of the fact that you are piloting a hovercraft which means that you've got 360˚ of subtle variability (in theory if using a d-pad)[in reality if using an analog joystick such as the one on the N64 Controller] coupled with Left and Right Air brakes for more substantial maneuvering and this (additionally coupled with a timer) makes for the sort of experience that can be eternally honed into something like perfection.  I used to play different types of music a lot while playing a given course over and over to get into a zone where navigating the track feels like practicing a dance over and over. 

And that, my friends is what it is all about as far as I'm concerned.

Even my oldest favorites "H.E.R.O." and "Toy Bizarre" are like that.  In either case you're given successive screens to play through that are really just the beginning of endless possible variations on a relatively simple theme.  They are Never not fun to play.  There is always room to improve speed, efficiency and maneuvering.  And there are always new situations to discover.

Speed, Timing, Delivery, Pattern Recognition, Improvisation.

And The Dance.  Always, The Dance.

• Like 2

Recently my go to games have been PS2 era RPGs or Elderscrolls/Fallout. Games that have a story but not overly long cut scenes. Unlike a modern JRPG that has a 15+ minute scene about how the cooking mechanic works like Xenoblade 3. 

The PS2 era games still had an older feel but with more conveniences, better save systems. So I can play in shorter chunks. 

10 hours ago, PII said:

I consider the WipEout Franchise to be the premiere racing experience in part because of the fact that you are piloting a hovercraft which means that you've got 360˚ of subtle variability (in theory if using a d-pad)[in reality if using an analog joystick such as the one on the N64 Controller] coupled with Left and Right Air brakes for more substantial maneuvering and this (additionally coupled with a timer) makes for the sort of experience that can be eternally honed into something like perfection.  I used to play different types of music a lot while playing a given course over and over to get into a zone where navigating the track feels like practicing a dance over and over. 

And that, my friends is what it is all about as far as I'm concerned.

Even my oldest favorites "H.E.R.O." and "Toy Bizarre" are like that.  In either case you're given successive screens to play through that are really just the beginning of endless possible variations on a relatively simple theme.  They are Never not fun to play.  There is always room to improve speed, efficiency and maneuvering.  And there are always new situations to discover.

Speed, Timing, Delivery, Pattern Recognition, Improvisation.

And The Dance.  Always, The Dance.

Have you played any Tony Hawk Pro Skater games? This description makes me think you would like them.

41 minutes ago, Link said:

Have you played any Tony Hawk Pro Skater games? This description makes me think you would like them.

I had a girlfriend once upon a time, who was crazy about that game in spite of the fact that she was otherwise totally uninterested in video games and had me play it with her once, briefly, when the opportunity was there.  At the time I wasn't really gaming and didn't have the opportunity to keep on with it, but remembering the experience now, you're probably right.  I'll have to keep an eye out for either a PS or N64 Copy of it.  🙂 

Edited by PII

One thing I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning is how much fan made content a game has. Games like Doom and Super Mario World have loads of that. I would say that my absolute favorites are not really affected by this, but there are some games that come close that do. The ability for a game to become greater than it's original release seems important to me