IGNORED

The console with the 10 best expensive games?

Nintegageo

Which wins?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• NES
    • Game Boy
    • SNES
    • N64
    • GC
    • SMS
    • Sega Genesis/MD
    • Sega CD
    • Sega Saturn
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Sega Game Gear
    • PS1
    • PS2
    • XBox
    • Neo Geo
    • TG
    • TG CD
    • GBA

They're wildly different but the libraries are largely the same.  The problem is the price on the AES stuff largely isn't great, just a few epic level suck price wise.  But even then, let's be fair, you got to like arcade, but if you do, here's the stupid VGPC price 'average'(hah) for the top 10.  This is based on LOOSE prices too.

$14000 - Neo Turf Masters
$7000 - Stakes Winner (horse racing, you control the animal, not betting)
$3600 - Mark of the Wolves
$2900 - Double Dragon
$2300 - Metal Slug 5
$2300 - Kizuna Encounter
$2000 - Samurai Shodown 5 Special (conversion I guess, another not on AES)
$1800 - Metal Slug X
$1700 - SS5 (again conversion)
$1700 - World Heroes Perfect
$1700 - Sengoku 3
$1500 - Metal Slug 3

I put 12 since I think the 2 conversions don't count. 🙂

Looking what you have there Stakes Winner is largely not for everyone, but largely what we have left there I'd argue 8 of those 10 are highly desirable titles to a lot of fans and those prices are just super ugly and just for the game alone, you get the manual, inserts, SNK snap case the values go up in a magnitude of order.  Not sure it's fair calling the re-pinned arcade a console, but it is.  Exclusively a console you get into another realm.

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

They're wildly different but the libraries are largely the same.  The problem is the price on the AES stuff largely isn't great, just a few epic level suck price wise.  But even then, let's be fair, you got to like arcade, but if you do, here's the stupid VGPC price 'average'(hah) for the top 10.  This is based on LOOSE prices too.

$14000 - Neo Turf Masters
$7000 - Stakes Winner (horse racing, you control the animal, not betting)
$3600 - Mark of the Wolves
$2900 - Double Dragon
$2300 - Metal Slug 5
$2300 - Kizuna Encounter
$2000 - Samurai Shodown 5 Special (conversion I guess, another not on AES)
$1800 - Metal Slug X
$1700 - SS5 (again conversion)
$1700 - World Heroes Perfect
$1700 - Sengoku 3
$1500 - Metal Slug 3

I put 12 since I think the 2 conversions don't count. 🙂

Looking what you have there Stakes Winner is largely not for everyone, but largely what we have left there I'd argue 8 of those 10 are highly desirable titles to a lot of fans and those prices are just super ugly and just for the game alone, you get the manual, inserts, SNK snap case the values go up in a magnitude of order.  Not sure it's fair calling the re-pinned arcade a console, but it is.  Exclusively a console you get into another realm.

Not sure what you are talking about with respect to conversions.  Samurai Showdown 5 and 5 Special (of which there are 2 versions, unfixed and fixed) are both on AES, both English and Japanese, they are not conversions.

This list is shit BTW, it doesn't even have Metal Slug 1 or 2 on there, both of which are more expensive (much more in fact) than the other MS games.  Kizuna Encounter price is clearly the Japanese price (or some bootleg) as the English version is going to be in the 5 figure range easy.  Also missing Ultimate 11 if you want to talk English games, and that's another 5 figure game that has only a handful of copies.

A much better list is at: https://www.neogeokult.com/aes-price-guide/, although these are outdated and you will probably need to multiply the prices by 2 or 3 times to get the correct values today.

Edited by peg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 360collector said:

This is really hard. Most systems have expensive trash. I thought PAL xbox would be safe, we all know the expensive games but its some horse jockey game up there ruining it lol same with jap mega drive that library rocks but some trash going for stupid money

What qualifies as trash on the Mega Drive list? 

Am looking at the Saturn list, not sure what people are voting for.

Snes makes sense, but for me a couple are over-rated and a couple don't hit my genres.

Edited by Californication

52 minutes ago, Californication said:

What qualifies as trash on the Mega Drive list? 

Am looking at the Saturn list, not sure what people are voting for.

Snes makes sense, but for me a couple are over-rated and a couple don't hit my genres.

In the top 10 snow bros and Pepenga Pengo. You might not think its trash but it throws the system out of winning this: I was expecting nothing but awesome shooters and Castlevania

4 hours ago, peg said:

Not sure what you are talking about with respect to conversions.  Samurai Showdown 5 and 5 Special (of which there are 2 versions, unfixed and fixed) are both on AES, both English and Japanese, they are not conversions.

This list is shit BTW, it doesn't even have Metal Slug 1 or 2 on there, both of which are more expensive (much more in fact) than the other MS games.  Kizuna Encounter price is clearly the Japanese price (or some bootleg) as the English version is going to be in the 5 figure range easy.  Also missing Ultimate 11 if you want to talk English games, and that's another 5 figure game that has only a handful of copies.

A much better list is at: https://www.neogeokult.com/aes-price-guide/, although these are outdated and you will probably need to multiply the prices by 2 or 3 times to get the correct values today.

When did SNK official release those on AES?  They cut that system off some time before the MVS died, that's why certain games have such low print runs (NTM, SW) that the prices are nauseatingly high.  Maybe they were done post retail long after the hardware was done.  That's why I called them conversions as they weren't right for the era...much like how capcom was cool having iam8bit re-issuing old school duck tales and mega man 2 carts.

Peg enjoy your ramble, I took that from the sales that you can pull from the dumb VGPC site that pulls the sales figures off ebay, that's the current running averages.  I guess MS1 and MS2 dropped, as I know they used to be insanely up there like NTM.  NeoGeoKult isn't current, the last update was 2 1/2 years ago which it says right at the top (Jan 2019.)  Things change, such as the asinine criminally stupid prices stuff hit since the pandemic and the free money thrown around like water.

Despite you being personally offended by what I wrote, that is what came up, I filtered by loose cart and highest to lowest.  Maybe it changes CIB, but I didn't use that.

6 hours ago, 360collector said:

In the top 10 snow bros and Pepenga Pengo. You might not think its trash but it throws the system out of winning this: I was expecting nothing but awesome shooters and Castlevania

Where are you seeing those lists?

Surely games like Twinkle Tale, Undeadline, and Slap Fight MD gotta be among the biggest hitters on the MegaDrive.

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

When did SNK official release those on AES?  They cut that system off some time before the MVS died, that's why certain games have such low print runs (NTM, SW) that the prices are nauseatingly high.  Maybe they were done post retail long after the hardware was done.  That's why I called them conversions as they weren't right for the era...much like how capcom was cool having iam8bit re-issuing old school duck tales and mega man 2 carts.

Peg enjoy your ramble, I took that from the sales that you can pull from the dumb VGPC site that pulls the sales figures off ebay, that's the current running averages.  I guess MS1 and MS2 dropped, as I know they used to be insanely up there like NTM.  NeoGeoKult isn't current, the last update was 2 1/2 years ago which it says right at the top (Jan 2019.)  Things change, such as the asinine criminally stupid prices stuff hit since the pandemic and the free money thrown around like water.

Despite you being personally offended by what I wrote, that is what came up, I filtered by loose cart and highest to lowest.  Maybe it changes CIB, but I didn't use that.

I ain't offended, just correcting info that is not true.  You use the term "conversion" and that has a pretty specific meaning in the arcade world and especially for Neo-Geo, meaning a bootleg AES game created from a MVS game.

The AES Samurai Shodown 5 and 5 Special are not conversions or bootlegs.  They were probably not sold at retail on store selves in the US (Japan versions may have been) but you definitely could get them from online order, and they are 100% legit SNK products. 

• Like 2

Well that's good to know.  I've seen far more conversions of arcade games where they pop the chips back in the day (not what would be considered outright bootlegging now) so I kind of relate it in that way.  Official board, some official chips, just a few swapped with another game to I guess save cost or take a dead board and resurrect it again...stuff like that.

22 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Where is the list specifically? If I try to browse that site, I'm not even seeing those games. It doesn't seem like a very reliable source.

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/jp-sega-mega-drive?sort=highest-cib-price&genre-name=&exclude-variants=false&exclude-hardware=false

I dont think there are any better reliable sources, its all wrong

7 hours ago, 360collector said:

5 people voted Saturn. Defend these

Daytona Usa Net link edition  3267,96

Battlesport 628,88

Lost & Found Volume 2  470.06

Luncay 439,37

My vote is including the Japanese titles but I didn't realise SNES had gotten really mental in pricing in the US so I probably would change my vote to SNES/SFC. This is the Saturn JPN/US top 10 which is pretty sold imo:

Daytona USA Championship $3,267

Delisoba Deluxe $1,600

Panzer Dragoon Saga $1,122

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru $1,038

Magic Knight Rayearth $953

Burning Rangers $773

The House of the Dead $708

Hyper Duel $647

Battlesport $628

Mizubaku Daibouken $600

3 minutes ago, Brickman said:

My vote is including the Japanese titles but I didn't realise SNES had gotten really mental in pricing in the US so I probably would change my vote to SNES/SFC. This is the Saturn JPN/US top 10 which is pretty sold imo:

Daytona USA Championship $3,267

Delisoba Deluxe $1,600

Panzer Dragoon Saga $1,122

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru $1,038

Magic Knight Rayearth $953

Burning Rangers $773

The House of the Dead $708

Hyper Duel $647

Battlesport $628

Mizubaku Daibouken $600

Yeah im probably going to vote snes

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Neo Geo hands down.  Even the system's "commons" are pricey due to pretty much everything being somewhat rare, and I can't think of many games that would be considered outright stinkers.  Mediocre perhaps, but not terrible. 

Yeah we're talking if you stick to the era, even the couple of 'lost' MVS games like Ironclad and SS 5 Perfect found recently, while excluding hacks like Crossed Swords 2 MVS and aftermarket like NeoTris to the grossly overpriced NG Dev team stuff, it's hard to pick out actual turd quality games, medicore sure, but turds you can count on your hand.  In a way it makes sense given too much crap would kill them as an arcade developer.  Legend of Sucking Joe, Riding Hero, they're the worst, if you don't know japanese the (their region only) coupld of mahjong and quiz games are garbage too made even worse with age.

The rest though, some are very specific to personal interest like the two good stakes winners horse racing games, or the overhead rally/non-rally racing car titles, but they're very nice.  Fighting largely, they didn't put out anything worse than maybe B- tier stuff which is pretty solid.  Lots of one off sports titles that people still covet now like neo turf masters, league bowling, both baseball stars.  And the less loved, they're not garbage, just C+ to B tier stuff with 3 count bout, basketball, football, top players golf.  Beyond that  you're into run n gun (including metal slugs), platformers, adventures, puzzle games, vertical and horizontal shooters, and a couple first person combat style things which are fine.  Again it's down to taste, but arguable very little on the AES(MVS) would qualify are poor or crap, and the more expensive rare ones they're basically winners largely.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:36 AM, 360collector said:

5 people voted Saturn. Defend these

Daytona Usa Net link edition  3267,96

Battlesport 628,88

Lost & Found Volume 2  470.06

Luncay 439,37

Daytona USA is one of my favorite games of all time so easy for me to defend that. The arcade racer basically defined a genre, maybe only over shadowed by outrun and really hasn't been replicated since. Netlink adds internet capabilities in 1996 so mostly a variant I don't consider to be a distinct game although I know people go nuts for it. 

Battle sport I haven't played but idk it seems like it could be enjoyable. A pretty decent display of 3D capabilities on the system.

Lost and found v2 I don't even know what this game is. Is it a licensed game? It seems like some really junk homebrew release. Definitely wouldn't count it if you're not putting garage cart or any other pricey NES games in that category. 

Lunacy apparently has a cult following. FMV/ text based adventure game.

So my defense is #1 is a variant and #3 is a homebrew. Both get nixed from my list.

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Daytona USA is one of my favorite games of all time so easy for me to defend that. The arcade racer basically defined a genre, maybe only over shadowed by outrun and really hasn't been replicated since. Netlink adds internet capabilities in 1996 so mostly a variant I don't consider to be a distinct game although I know people go nuts for it. 

Battle sport I haven't played but idk it seems like it could be enjoyable. A pretty decent display of 3D capabilities on the system.

Lost and found v2 I don't even know what this game is. Is it a licensed game? It seems like some really junk homebrew release. Definitely wouldn't count it if you're not putting garage cart or any other pricey NES games in that category. 

Lunacy apparently has a cult following. FMV/ text based adventure game.

So my defense is #1 is a variant and #3 is a homebrew. Both get nixed from my list.

you are improving the list by removing those so fair enough im no saturn expert so never heard about that lost and found stuff. I thought Daytona was just too expensive to defend but I agree its a variant and should not be on the list