IGNORED

Whatcha Picklin’ ?

Richardhead

@Murraysaid to do it. So here it is.

Whatcha Picklin’ thread.

Today is red onions and eggs. The red onions are a little spicy because of the added jalapeños. I basically put these things on everything.  From salad to peanut butter sandwiches.

The eggs are also gonna be a bit spicy because of the sriracha. I also added red bell peppers, red onions and garlic.

Anyways…. Any of you do Picklin’? What should I try next? I’m down for whatever.

37F489C5-8FB2-41AE-8917-542D2D7A4FF3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 3

Yum yum red onion pickled does go on everything

I wish I would have gone out harvesting ramps (wild spring onion) a couple months back, those are fantastic pickled. 

I wanna do asparagus, it's in season now, also carrots are nice in thicker chunks or the lil garnish slivers. Also been wanting to do sauerkraut with caraway seed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I make homemade Kimchi and it's awesome.

Quick pickling is really easy and rewarding.

@Richardhead If you want a challenge and have canning equipment, this is the season for pickled watermelon rind.

That is something I could get behind. I don’t have canning equipment, but it’s on my to do list. Pickling is very new to me the last year. I started with jalapeños. I fell in love with pickled red onions a few months ago. Only decided to do eggs this week because I’m stuck home with the vid again.

What do you do with pickled watermelon rind? Add it to salads, eat from the jar? I am very intrigued.

30 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I can't say I'm a fan of pickled goods, but I respect the process. Keep picklin' friends.

I was in the same boat. You really should try pickles red onions and jalapeños. You might come around. Those damn onions are crazy good and easy to make. 

We've not pickled much in our home but I agree with @Richardhead, this might be something I need to get into.

Pickled stuff is often better than non-pickled.  I remember when I was a kid my mom bought a jar of pickled vegetables--baby onions, carrots, cauliflower and I think red onions.  I didn't like carrots, onions, cauliflower or red onions... but dang, they were all amazing!

The most we've ever done were fridge pickles.  Those are fine, but there's something about properly canning that makes them better.  I might need to try and doing it right.  You guys from every now and then inspire me to try new things in the kitchen, and I'm not the cook in the house.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RH said:

We've not pickled much in our home but I agree with @Richardhead, this might be something I need to get into.

Pickled stuff is often better than non-pickled.  I remember when I was a kid my mom bought a jar of pickled vegetables--baby onions, carrots, cauliflower and I think red onions.  I didn't like carrots, onions, cauliflower or red onions... but dang, they were all amazing!

The most we've ever done were fridge pickles.  Those are fine, but there's something about properly canning that makes them better.  I might need to try and doing it right.  You guys from every now and then inspire me to try new things in the kitchen, and I'm not the cook in the house.

With some things I’d say pickling will be just fine. Like these damn onions. They don’t last long enough to justify canning IMO. Same with pickles jalapeños.

I will say I am very new to this and it’s been fun for sure. I do however plan on doing some canning in the next few months. Things like tomatoes, fruits, beans and greens. 

From left to right:  Ramps, Pheasant Back, Giant Puffball, Chicken Of The Woods, Salsa Verde (from homegrown tomatillos & habaneros), and Wood Sorrel Pesto    [ which, as far as I know, I am the inventor of, lol ]

I've heard that Pickled Punkin is really good, was going to try it last fall and ran out of time/energy/will to continue.  Will probably give it a shot this year though.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 1.47.19 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, PII said:

From left to right:  Ramps, Pheasant Back, Giant Puffball, Chicken Of The Woods, Salsa Verde (from homegrown tomatillos & habaneros), and Wood Sorrel Pesto    [ which, as far as I know, I am the inventor of, lol ]

I've heard that Pickled Punkin is really good, was going to try it last fall and ran out of time/energy/will to continue.  Will probably give it a shot this year though.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 1.47.19 PM.png

Very interested in that pesto and tomatillo!!!

Well done man!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richardhead said:

That is something I could get behind. I don’t have canning equipment, but it’s on my to do list. Pickling is very new to me the last year. I started with jalapeños. I fell in love with pickled red onions a few months ago. Only decided to do eggs this week because I’m stuck home with the vid again.

What do you do with pickled watermelon rind? Add it to salads, eat from the jar? I am very intrigued.

It's a nice sweet side dish for a summer meal, a garnish for sandwiches and burgers, or you can chop a couple slices up and put it on a suitable ice cream flavor.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, drxandy said:

@JamesRobotI do the same with claussen!! Slice up a cuke and get another round of pickles, I'm gonna have to try jalapenos with it. Sounds great.

Last time we got farm jalapenos I pickeled the remainder and they were soooo goooood.

Claussen is the best brand name pickle.  So crispy.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1