IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon 3!

BeaIank

24 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The more Ive gotten into it, the more Ive really liked it. Im not really getting any better, but its damn fun. Wish I hadnt been out for a good portion of the week on this one. Really fun and I feel late to the party.

A couple of days + 2 more days to put in some punches is a whole lot more than nothing!

Keep kicking ass!

Alright, I had so much fun with this last week, I'm gonna give it another go.  It's time for:

PII's MINI SKINNY-LICIOUS SCOREBOARD!

1]  Pie Hole, Pop u 1 in the       -       CLEAR/206

2]  Jimbo Bo-Staff       -       5-5/Boss

2]  M.y B.lade D.efeats Furry Hiney       -       5-5/Boss

2]  I T8nt Quid Bot       -       5-5/Boss

2]  (Gary) Seinfend       -       5-5/Boss

6]  Morbid Dr. Von Kartoffeln-Salat       -       5-2

7]  War_Iz_Deth_Just-Dial-6's       -       2-2

8]  R.umble H.ornskin       -       1-2

~]  Kr-Chun-Kr-Chun-Kr-Chun-Kr-       -       Hovering Along Periphery

~]  GoreBat Duca       -       Lurking

~]  Domestic Tapeworm       -       Domesticated

Edited by PII
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, PII said:

Alright, I had so much fun with this last week, I'm gonna give it another go.  It's time for:

PII's MINI SKINNY-LICIOUS SCOREBOARD!

1]  Pie Hole, Pop u 1 in the       -       CLEAR/206

2]  Jimbo Bo-Staff       -       5-5/Boss

2]  M.y B.lade D.efeats Furry Hiney       -       5-5/Boss

4]  (Gary) Seinfend       -       3-3/Boss

5]  Morbid Dr. Von Kartoffeln-Salat       -       3-2

6]  War_Iz_Deth_Just-Dial-6's       -       2-2

~]  R.umble H.ornskin       -       Awaiting Progress

~]  Kr-Chun-Kr-Chun-Kr-Chun-Kr-       -       Hovering Along Periphery

~]  GoreBat Duca       -       Lurking

~]  Domestic Tapeworm       -       Domesticated

Updated to start of level 5. I got one or two more runs in me before this thing is done. Who is Gary Seinfeld? Huge seinfeld fan but drawing a blank on this

12 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Updated to start of level 5. I got one or two more runs in me before this thing is done. Who is Gary Seinfeld? Huge seinfeld fan but drawing a blank on this

I believe he may be a relative of Burt Sampson.

n-e-s-f-i-e-n-d   =   s-e-i-n-f-e-n-d

yours was the only one for which I didn't come up with something implying violence (or a lack there-of in the case of wormy.)

Edited by PII
  • Haha 1

Man, it turns out that this game is just like the original Double Dragon: retard easy for the entire game until you get to the final level.  Now, suddenly there are 1-hit-kills bottomless pits (while being ambushed), a moving platform that I didn't know you had to jump off of, the hardest enemies in the game, and the only boss fight that actually requires strategy.

I'm going to try a couple more times on Sunday, but it'll take some real practice to beat this one...

20 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't think it's as awful as people say, but I never really liked it either.

Surprised you dont like the game. I could see a critic comparing it to contra force. Good game in its own right, but kind of strayed from originals in a lot of ways. Im not into the character switching. That aside, its a damn good beat em up. 

I assumed youd be good and this and put up a complete game. Too busy practicing DK?

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, it turns out that this game is just like the original Double Dragon: retard easy for the entire game until you get to the final level.

I'd say that mission 3 is where the first Double Dragon gets hard. But you're right about DD3 being this way.

DD3 is nowhere near as bad and as difficult as its reputation though. Here's a popular Youtuber whining about DD3 being terrible because he can't even get past the first level. Go to 17:43 mark.

I just hate how most beat'em ups have that one ridiculously OP move that you end up spamming the whole game:  Turtles II has the special move, Double Dragon II has the flying knee, and this game has Billy's cyclone kick that kills most enemies in two hits and contacts them from all directions.  When you're almost never punching, it's hard to feel like you're beating people up.  I guess Double Dragon on NES actually does it right by making you earn the better moves by unlocking them so you're not just using the same powerful move the entire play-through.

But notwithstanding all that, DD III is actually a pretty fun game, and way better than I remember it being when I played it a decade ago...

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Surprised you dont like the game. I could see a critic comparing it to contra force. Good game in its own right, but kind of strayed from originals in a lot of ways. Im not into the character switching. That aside, its a damn good beat em up. 

I assumed youd be good and this and put up a complete game. Too busy practicing DK?

The main problem with DD3 is how uninspired and "phoned in" it is, compared to the first two in the series. You're mostly just moving left to right fighting the same few enemies over and over. You could snarkily say that all beat em ups are like this, but there's usually more diversity and stuff going on than in this game.

21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'd say that mission 3 is where the first Double Dragon gets hard. But you're right about DD3 being this way.

DD3 is nowhere near as bad and as difficult as its reputation though. Here's a popular Youtuber whining about DD3 being terrible because he can't even get past the first level. Go to 17:43 mark.

Yeah, until someone has put a minimum of one hour into any videogame, I immediately disqualify their opinions on its difficulty.  You just can't properly judge a game that you've got no experience with when you don't even understand the game's mechanics to begin with.  For example, I always like to have an initial "blind" run when I try each game for the first time.  Well, for this contest, I also couldn't beat the first level on my first run - the boss kicked my ass.  So I read the manual, and it reminded me of the "weapons" each character has, and lo and behold, five quick 'A' button presses with your nunchucks equipped, and the first boss dies in less than ten seconds.  So understanding just that one mechanic made the first boss (and second, and third, and fourth) a walk-over.

I will say that regarding DD III, recharging your weapons and your character's health after every level was far too generous and actually makes the game easier and easier as you go along - until you hit the final level, of course.  The weapons should have been one-use-only for the whole game, then the first four boss fights would have been a lot more interesting...

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's funny how the guy hasn't posted a score in like two months (or more?) and yet he still gets a spot on your scoreboard... 🤔

Long time regulars who have made at least one post or reaction get honored with the wall of shame portion of the scoreboard in the generous hope that they will become motivated to rejoin the fun.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Chin is a real piece of shit, as a person. Spends god knows how long seeking out the man who killed his brother intending to kill him. Loses a quick fist fight and decides to be best friends with him instead and travel the world together. 

Wait'll you see his pic at the end.  He looks like Salvador Dali playing a serious game of 8ball.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's funny how the guy hasn't posted a score in like two months (or more?) and yet he still gets a spot on your scoreboard... 🤔

I also feel like someone has to fill in for him when he's gone.  Granted those are shoes that can probably never be adequately filled, but without his inevitable random quip of weirdness, things around here just have a tendency to get so generally Un-bizarre...

Here's my best attempt:

....The spider in my bathroom is terrified of the tinkle sound.

da shit izat about?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PII said:

I also feel like someone has to fill in for him when he's gone.  Granted those are shoes that can probably never be adequately filled, but without his inevitable random quip of weirdness, things around here just have a tendency to get so generally Un-bizarre...

Here's my best attempt:

....The spider in my bathroom is terrified of the tinkle sound.

da shit izat about?

100%. Free Kramer.

19 hours ago, NESfiend said:

That Contra Force comparison is pretty accurate. I haven't been practicing DK either. I have a Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run season going with about 10 games left before the playoffs. Given how bad the Reds have been, at least the video game version has a shot at winning a World Series this year.

• Haha 1

As the neighborhood Kid-That-Sucks-At-Games, I feel that this game is similar to Battletoads in the way that I can see how it has an unwarranted bad reputation.

Ever since I started coming back to NES titles since I started playing them as a collector, I’ve tried to take games like this and break a life-long habit which is to just rapidly mash buttons when action gets intense.  That doesn’t work in fighting games and it doesn’t work in beat’m ups either.

I only found about 45 minutes to watch a couple videos on this game, read the manual and try a few times.  As you can see by my phoned-in score is that I couldn’t get far but I could tell that this was a game with patience and intentionality, I could get better.  Even with Battletoads, I was intentional and paid attention to strategies.  Within a few weeks of practice, I could get through Turbo Tubes (or whatever it was called) and half-way down the river from the warp on only one life because I paid attention to ever button tap. I know a lot of people that complain about that game could NEVER get past Turbo Tubes, and that shocked me?! Really??

I won’t say this game isn’t hard for an average game, but every enemies spawn and position is deterministic and if you pay attention and practice, it completely feels beatable, even by someone like me.  It might take me 3-6 months, but I think I could do it. The key is to not just mash buttons but to pay attention.  Muscle memory is a killer for me, and the key is to take your time and learn the game, rather than just trying to push through it ASAP.

• Like 1