IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon 3!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready for a week full of VIOLENCE! Be it with bare hands or with special weapons, our players will

The rules for this week are simple:

• Play till you are about to lose your last character
  • Take your picture and post your progress, considering the maps at https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#D
  • For example, if you reach Chin at Mission 2, then your progress is Mission 2-2. If you reach Cleopatra at Mission 5, your progress is 5-5
  • If you beat, the game, the tier breaker will be total power + total weapon usage left for Billy, Chin and Hanzou.
  • Highest progress wins
  • Genre: Beat 'em up

Give your opponents a fistful of REVENGE!

The contest ends Sunday, 07/10/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SCORE EDIT - Okay, I suck at this game, but I'm trying: Progress, 3-2

SCORE EDIT #2 - Well, Ranzou decided to fling himself into a pit of spikes, but not before I could snap a picture of his suicide in progress: Progress, 5-2

SCORE EDIT #3 - I made it to the final boss four times, but couldn't beat her.  The second picture is my subscreen when I made it to her on my best chance, for tie-breaking purposes:

Progress, 5-5 Final Boss, 219

DDIII-3 (1).JPG

DDIII-3 (2).JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If it takes more than 24 minutes to beat the game, then I won't be able to record a speed run in one segment.  I think it should stay as progress with maybe score as a tie-breaker or something.

Anyway, reserved for score...

There is no scoring in Double Dragon III.  Also, your Mega Man II time was over 24 min.....

1 hour ago, PII said:

There is no scoring in Double Dragon III.  Also, your Mega Man II time was over 24 min.....

Yeah, the exact time my camera will record is just under 25 minutes; I don't remember the exact number, but it's just easier to say 24 minutes and give myself a tiny buffer.  And regarding Mega Man 2, I had a couple close runs where the camera cut out right as I was getting to the last robot boss, so I remember everything I did to save time was in an effort to get my time under 25 minutes.

As for Double Dragon III, I'm not familiar with it at all, and I doubt too many people other than mbd (and you???) are going to beat it in a week - hell, we don't even have that many submissions these days, (social media? time of year? I dunno...) so I don't think making the contest even more hardcore than it already is in order to prevent some theoretical ten-way-tie from happening is something we realistically need to be worrying about at this juncture, never mind the fact that it would scare even more potential contestants away...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, the exact time my camera will record is just under 25 minutes; I don't remember the exact number, but it's just easier to say 24 minutes and give myself a tiny buffer.  And regarding Mega Man 2, I had a couple close runs where the camera cut out right as I was getting to the last robot boss, so I remember everything I did to save time was in an effort to get my time under 25 minutes.

As for Double Dragon III, I'm not familiar with it at all, and I doubt too many people other than mbd (and you???) are going to beat it in a week - hell, we don't even have that many submissions these days, (social media? time of year? I dunno...) so I don't think making the contest even more hardcore than it already is in order to prevent some theoretical ten-way-tie from happening is something we realistically need to be worrying about at this juncture, never mind the fact that it would scare even more potential contestants away...

I agree with all of this. Simple progress probably the best way to go considering the low participation.

I've beat DD3 once before and it was rough. The last boss is a real bitch.

• Like 1

Yeah, I played it with a buddy over a decade ago and I remember it being really tough, and I haven't played it since, so I'm basically going to be starting from scratch when I play it again this week.  Plus I've never played it single player, so I don't know if that makes it even tougher, or whether that even matters...

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Is it possible to pause right after beating the final boss? If so we can do number of characters remaining as a tiebreaker.

It might be (Just for the record, I'm game for whatever everyone would most like to do.) but it would be necessary to hit select to access the character screen.  Failing that, it might be necessary to access character select just as Noiram emerges to see each character and how much life is left for each...  I'll probably have time to check later tonight...

CLEAR

Here're clear pics + a power pic + a post game shot.  I had

182        206       210

power/weapons left with all 3 characters.

So, I was able to hit select for the character screen right when Noiram ate it, take that pic, then another after exiting the character select and hitting pause.  She flashes on the ground so in retrospect, hypothetically it may be prudent to take 2 pics of her, one flashing on and one flashing off and finally, a post game shot....

210.png

chin.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@Dr. Morbis, you have a VCR...just record the run, and if the camera cuts out you can rewind the tape a bit and start a second recording.  Or I could loan you my DVD recorder if you'd prefer.

How in the fuck would I get the data on the VHS tape into my computer?  And why would I ever go to all of that trouble?

2 hours ago, RH said:

Ok, uh… I’ve never played this game.  The maps makes it look like a 5 minute game.  Do the levels loop or something?

It's a beat 'em up: they're always massively padded with the same couple of enemies to monotonously beat up over and over and over again...

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

How in the fuck would I get the data on the VHS tape into my computer?  And why would I ever go to all of that trouble?

You would play the VHS on your TV and use your camera to film it.  Jeez.  But if you wanna put it on your computer, I could lend you my DVD recorder.