IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon 3!

BeaIank

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Why do you need to transfer the data?

So you don’t have to worry about taking a picture during a live run. Just rewind the tape…

The point of recording it would be for a speed run; if there's no speed run, there's no need to record in the first place, as a picture would suffice...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

You would play the VHS on your TV and use your camera to film it.  Jeez.  But if you wanna put it on your computer, I could lend you my DVD recorder.

Okay, this seriously has me scratching my head.  What on earth is the point of doing this?  Why would I record a recording?!?  Why would I film a recording of a run instead of just filming the actual run?  Recording a recording isn't going to make a speed run go any quicker, which is the issue I would have for anything over 25 minutes in the first place.  I don't understand your logic here at all.... 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, PII said:

Less than a half hour.

On Day-1 of the contest, no less!  Is this one of those childhood favourites that you burn through regularly or have you been practicing leading up to this week?  Either way, congrats on a killer Day-1 submission!  I'm going to have to put hours in just to try and beat this once...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

On Day-1 of the contest, no less!  Is this one of those childhood favourites that you burn through regularly or have you been practicing leading up to this week?  Either way, congrats on a killer Day-1 submission!  I'm going to have to put hours in just to try and beat this once...

Neither actually, well, more the first one I guess.  I didn't own this as a kid, but I remember Double Dragon being big time fav. stuff in those days for myself and most of the other kids.  I got real excited when this came out and a friend of mine got it right away and lent it to me a couple of times.  It was and still is my favorite beat 'em up.  I never made it past Italy back then except, once, my friend and I played it 2-player and made it all the way to Egypt.  I got back into this one, maybe three years ago, determined to beat it and I still pop it in from time to time cuz it just kicks so much ass!  

One of these days I'm going to have to figure out what ever happened to Double Dragon IV....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PII said:

Neither actually, well, more the first one I guess.  I didn't own this as a kid, but I remember Double Dragon being big time fav. stuff in those days for myself and most of the other kids.  I got real excited when this came out and a friend of mine got it right away and lent it to me a couple of times.  It was and still is my favorite beat 'em up.  I never made it past Italy back then except, once, my friend and I played it 2-player and made it all the way to Egypt.  I got back into this one, maybe three years ago, determined to beat it and I still pop it in from time to time cuz it just kicks so much ass!  

One of these days I'm going to have to figure out what ever happened to Double Dragon IV....

Nice.  Looks like you're pulling out all the stops this year.  I finally made up a couple points with Flappy to start closing the gap, and it looks like you're going to get them right back!  The season is about half over now, but there's still a long way to go...

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Okay, this seriously has me scratching my head.  What on earth is the point of doing this?  Why would I record a recording?!?  Why would I film a recording of a run instead of just filming the actual run?  Recording a recording isn't going to make a speed run go any quicker, which is the issue I would have for anything over 25 minutes in the first place.  I don't understand your logic here at all.... 🤷‍♂️

If the run went longer than 25 minutes, you could film it in two clips without losing any of the data, while still having proof of it being your run.  I dunno, maybe you could find a camera designed for shooting videos longer than 25 minutes somewhere though...like a camcorder or something.  Pretty sure they still make them 😛

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Nice.  Looks like you're pulling out all the stops this year.  I finally made up a couple points with Flappy to start closing the gap, and it looks like you're going to get them right back!  The season is about half over now, but there's still a long way to go...

The back fifteen are at hand!  Batten down the hatches!!  Man all Torpedoes!!!  We're goin' in!!!!!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

If the run went longer than 25 minutes, you could film it in two clips without losing any of the data, while still having proof of it being your run.  I dunno, maybe you could find a camera designed for shooting videos longer than 25 minutes somewhere though...like a camcorder or something.  Pretty sure they still make them 😛

I'll cross that bridge if and when I ever get to it.  For now, as long as any speed run game is under 25 minutes, I'm all good.  I think Castlevania is coming up at some point, and that should be under 25.  In fact, there are a ton of great action games on the NES that can be beaten in under 25 minutes if you know what you're doing...

Well, this is one of those games where I wish I was playing on the console.  My PC controller is pretty crap with beat-em-ups in general, and this one is no exception.  Gonna take a bit more practice if I'm going to get anything further than 1-2 😛  I remember getting pretty far in it back in the day, as well as getting to the final boss while playing 2 player with @Dr. Morbis, but it always takes a fair bit of effort to get back into it, especially with it being over a decade since I last played it 😛

Got back from vacation this morning too wired to get to sleep. First time Ive seen beyond level 1. This is really fun once you get the hang of it. Knew this cart would one day get put to good use. Hopefully I can keep progress going this weekend.  

LEVEL 5-5 creepy lady

20220710_114922.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Not terrible, but still my least favorite Double Dragon on the NES. It has the most boring stage designs and enemies.

I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like all of the scrolling stages are mostly broken/unused, because they throw all of the enemies for that section at me right out of the gate, then after there is no one left to kill, I have to walk through these eery desolate sections to get to the door/elevator/whatever to take me to the next section, and all without any prompting like the hand from the first two games: I just sort of stand there waiting for the next enemies to run on the screen, and if none do, I'm like, "oh, I must be done; I guess I'll be moseying on..."  It's really weird...  😕

Edited by Dr. Morbis

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like all of the scrolling stages are mostly broken/unused, because they throw all of the enemies for that section at me right out of the gate, then after there is no one left to kill, I have to walk through these eery desolate sections to get to the door/elevator/whatever to take me to the next section, and all without any prompting like the hand from the first two games: I just sort of stand there waiting for the next enemies to run on the screen, and if none do, I'm like, "oh, I must be done; I guess I'll be moseying on..."  It's really weird...  😕

Makes it so you have to "fight to the right" in a speed-run....

2 hours ago, PII said:

As is often the case, a piece of PII's "love" is everyone else's, "meh."

You guys need to learn how to do flips, and reverse kicks, and off-the-wall-jump-kicks!

The more Ive gotten into it, the more Ive really liked it. Im not really getting any better, but its damn fun. Wish I hadnt been out for a good portion of the week on this one. Really fun and I feel late to the party.