IGNORED

The Collector's Quest Podcast

DefaultGen

On 1/11/2024 at 1:35 AM, Brickman said:

Me listening to @DefaultGen on ep238 giving the hard truth that no one will appreciate the GBA library as much as us hardcore GBA fans:

Sad Happy Hour GIF

We need that GBA episode ASAP so people can find out how underrated the system is.

Tyler knows we have to do one, but he is afraid

• Agree 1

On 3/13/2024 at 4:22 PM, xelement5x said:

Just finished the last episode, lol I knew going in it was almost 4 hours long but your optimism of it being a short episode near the start was kind of hilarious.

I'm also surprised you didn't mention collectible video game vinyl, lots of different pressing between official and bootleg stuff.

Did you want it to be 6 hours long?  I don't actually think I knew about the  FF8 cards, probably because I don;t like it and ignore it. X-Men I got the Cable card not so long ago to complete my set and felt pretty good about that

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had to loop back here as a Nall (from Lunar) plush and poster came up for sale recently and it ended at a whopping $1425.  Craziest price I have seen on it so far (the poster is also in big demand too), but it has also been awhile since one was listed.  If you guys do an updated collectibles episode you've got a new thing to talk about besides the Elephant card. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/135026805803

image.png.c44b33bd81775c1fc29f51b50c56441b.png

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, xelement5x said:

Just had to loop back here as a Nall (from Lunar) plush and poster came up for sale recently and it ended at a whopping $1425.  Craziest price I have seen on it so far (the poster is also in big demand too), but it has also been awhile since one was listed.  If you guys do an updated collectibles episode you've got a new thing to talk about besides the Elephant card. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/135026805803

image.png.c44b33bd81775c1fc29f51b50c56441b.png

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

Hey! I just heard my name.  Very cool.  That means I’m famous now I think.  

So, update on that last comment — I’ve been pretty addicted to listening to back episodes.  It scratches an itch for me.  I like hearing from known, respected collectors that are targeting more experienced collectors.  I also like that it involves a lot of community characters I’m familiar with.  You guys got me coming out of my collecting hiatus and I’m starting to actively collect again.  

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

On 4/29/2024 at 9:11 AM, xelement5x said:

Just had to loop back here as a Nall (from Lunar) plush and poster came up for sale recently and it ended at a whopping $1425. Craziest price I have seen on it so far (the poster is also in big demand too), but it has also been awhile since one was listed. If you guys do an updated collectibles episode you've got a new thing to talk about besides the Elephant card.

I'm sorry, what the?

Posted (edited)

I might have been the one who expressed appreciation for the Oddysey2 box art.

I absolutely love the 70s neon black-art poster aesthetic of the front covers

Screenshot2024-05-12001929.png.b022fff7715da1cbf35809d7c77b1a72.png

The spines couldn't be more dull... and they are annoyingly wide too.

Screenshot2024-05-12002044.png.0c5d1fd2d333dffe295f5d8811288d67.png

I'm a fan of gate-fold covers and the compartment for the cartridges... (Which also rock) Love carts with handles!!  Just a nifty little package overall. The boxes do seem to be prone to getting dinged up tho'.

Screenshot2024-05-12002128.png.888186ebc9ffab0cbc074487abeb0b97.png

Edited by G-type
  • Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
9 hours ago, G-type said:

I'm a fan of gate-fold covers and the compartment for the cartridges... (Which also rock) Love carts with handles!!  Just a nifty little package overall. The boxes do seem to be prone to getting dinged up tho'.

Gotta agree these look great to me, too. 
(But that's speaking as someone who has never actually handled an Odyssey2 box or cart in person haha).

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 10:25 PM, G-type said:

I also agree, I love the look of Odyssey2 box art.  It's like the perfect feel of 70s nostalgia and slick consistent visuals when you look at the art.  The boxes also aren't too big, my biggest knock is they all want to seem to come apart at the  tray folds unless you've got a nice crisp box.  

Haven't finished the episode yet though lol, I am like halfway through and except for a couple in the beginning it's all been Nintendo so I got burned out and will return to it later.  I think I was expecting it to be more of a time released based order.

• Haha 1

Finally finished this monster of an episode, yay! Looks like I was right on the edge of when other systems were going to start on my last post. 

Can agree with a lot of the ratings but I feel like Johnny was right about JP Game Gear, DefaultGen would love these boxes given the comments.  Same thickness of a JP GB box, but imagine if it was perfectly square.  It's almost the same dimensions of a FDS game but a bit bigger, they are just super cute with pretty good art most of the time and store and display so well.  

I was also surprised Vita was scored down especially since one of you has a full set.  Case is a bit flimsy but I love the size and display on the shelf.  The blue is a nice color along the top to make it look consistent, but you get variety with the labels and titles are still big enough to read. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 11:54 AM, Foochie776 said:

You never truly realize how long four hours can be until you listen to a couple guys discuss video game box rankings 

😉 but you listened.

We're all sick in the head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

when it comes to shelf collecting: Atari > NES.  Atari Boxes are about the same size durability as NES boxes, but the art is generally cooler AND you can do the rainbow thing which gives it +10 points.

Not surprised the DS scored so high. Nice and sturdy hardcase, looks pretty good and uniform, and a compartment for your GBA!! 3DS was basically a minor downgrade, that they just changed it for the sake of being different.

• Like 1

Is it just me or did those 4 hours fly? I just finished last night and was thinking to myself that it went so quickly!

Great episode and it was great to hear the Japanese GBA boxes ranked so high. Imo they're hands down the best cardboard era boxes. They're small, can be rotated various ways for displaying, have killer artwork and as long as you don't treat them too harshly they are rather robust. 

You guys didn't talk about the Japanese GC boxes. They're pretty cool because they have the smaller case and a cardboard slipcover so you get a bit of both worlds. 

• Like 1

Truly shocked this many of you listened to this episode. I am not suprised people like the Odyssey 2 boxes, but they are not for me, and I think give the criteria we used to score they landed about where I'd expect. Grading the first few systems is hard though, you are trying to find the right amount of critical without going overboard or under doing it.

@xelement5x Vita wouuld score higher except for the depth of the case, they Get Lost on a shelf a bit. The amount of special editions on the console also hurt it a little for me, though I am not sure if that was expressed or not. The inconsistent box sizes make it hard, The basic case though is pretty good in hand. I think if shelving was more geared towards smaller media rather than things the size of VHS tapes and DVDs then maybe i'd feel different.

@G-type Atari boxes have to much air, and as I said on episode, the font kills me.

Here is the socring doc for the episode

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P6y3s6rOa4sENTEExJFoKe8x0vm6JnUGCJhS8p50tAA/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2

On 5/25/2024 at 5:26 PM, T-Pac said:

@DefaultGen and @Johnny ...

Philosophical Question:

If you have one copy of an insert that belongs with several of your CIB games - are they all complete (just not all at the same time)?

[T-Pac]

I think it's relative, but to give a more complete answer (see what I did there), No. The game the insert is in at the time is complete. It is true you could assemble a complete version of multiple games at any time, but if someone asked you if all your games are "Complete" I think you have to say no. Now if we are talking about being an insert collector, you only need the 1.

Graphics Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Johnny said:

I think it's relative, but to give a more complete answer (see what I did there), No. The game the insert is in at the time is complete. It is true you could assemble a complete version of multiple games at any time, but if someone asked you if all your games are "Complete" I think you have to say no. Now if we are talking about being an insert collector, you only need the 1.

I ask a dumb joke question and I get a thorough, well-elaborated, and sensible response. The real collecting hidden gem has been you all along, @Johnny haha!

[T-Pac]

• Haha 1

Nice and short on the inserts episode guys, I was able to listen to this one in one go!

I will say, the dialog near the end about playing video games with Jesus made me think it was like a Kevin Smith movie or something. 

"You....want to be a religious idol?"
"I mean, it's probably better than tech support right?"

🤣

• Like 1