IGNORED

The Collector's Quest Podcast

DefaultGen

Hi. Me, @Johnny, and @Archon 1981 do a weekly/bi-weeklyish show about collecting video games. Often we just talk about collectible aspects of some variants and sets we find interesting, sometimes we cover an aspect of the hobby itself, and sometimes we have interviews with video game people.

I'd describe us all as "set collectors" but with different focuses. Johnny goes hard on CIB US sets and is a well of Sega and Nintendo variant knowledge. I collect a mix of loose and CIB sets and care more about unlicensed, homebrew, vintage, and PC stuff than the other guys. Stephan is known to knock out huge chunks of US console sets on one go, but his passion is internal Nintendo artifacts, clothing, and one-of-a-kind gameplay counselor stuff.

Let us know if you hate the show or have episode ideas. Cheers.

Soundcloudhttps://soundcloud.com/collectors-quest
iTuneshttps://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-collectors-quest/id1061527120
Stitcherhttps://www.stitcher.com/podcast/collectors-quest
Also Spotify I think?

spacer.png

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've listened to the 1st 30 minutes so far.  Allow me to address some of the comments made.

@Johnny made the point about how much should GoCollect care about making a new forum when the entire userbase left.  For the record, VGS was not created because of the speculation that NA was shutting down, that was not how the chain of events were set in motion.  

If I were to identify a point where things really reached a point of no return with NA it would be when your video was taken down @DefaultGen .  A little background, that was a good 3-4 months after the sale to GC and we as a staff had heard next to nothing from Jeff in that timeframe.  Jeff actually told us that forums weren't the future for GoCollect.  That statement went along with everything we had seen from him, confirmed our suspicion that he had no interest.  We had asked if we could make improvements to the site ourselves and were told flat out no, he wouldn't allow it.

That brings us to your video.  We were told that people weren't happy about the content and wanted it deleted.  The message read like that was what Jeff wanted (which days later he clarifed that he was only asking our opinion).  The video gets taken down, shitshow ensues, I publicly resigned (which I asked Jeff to remove me that day and he never bothered).  After that mess Jeff asked if anyone on the staff wanted to purchase the site (the impression was that he felt he couldn't win with the community).  So he initiated selling the site to some of us, we exchanged emails and set up a time for a phone call to discuss details.  He didn't show up for the call, and we didn't hear another word from him until he popped in a couple months later to say some of his GoCollect lackey's were joining the staff as admins/mods.  

That blown handling of the potential sale was when we decided we were going to create an alternative and the wheels really went in motion for VGS.  We tried guys! The entire NA server being shut down forcing GoCollects hand to make their "improvements" had nothing to do with what we were building here.  

One other thing Johnny brought up about Dain being above criticism from so many, I couldn't agree more!  How can people say "NA sucks!! Except for Dain"  Now I'm not complaining about Dain, I like some stuff he did and don't like some other stuff.  But how does a person get all the credit but none of the blame? If people didn't like NA, wouldn't it stand to reason Dain could have fixed whatever they didn't like about it?  How Dain pulled that trick off I will never know.    

Anyway, hopefully that clears some things up. 

• Like 15

On 11/8/2019 at 12:47 PM, B.A. said:

I've listened to the 1st 30 minutes so far.  Allow me to address some of the comments made.

@Johnny made the point about how much should GoCollect care about making a new forum when the entire userbase left.  For the record, VGS was not created because of the speculation that NA was shutting down, that was not how the chain of events were set in motion.  

If I were to identify a point where things really reached a point of no return with NA it would be when your video was taken down @DefaultGen .  A little background, that was a good 3-4 months after the sale to GC and we as a staff had heard next to nothing from Jeff in that timeframe.  Jeff actually told us that forums weren't the future for GoCollect.  That statement went along with everything we had seen from him, confirmed our suspicion that he had no interest.  We had asked if we could make improvements to the site ourselves and were told flat out no, he wouldn't allow it.

That brings us to your video.  We were told that people weren't happy about the content and wanted it deleted.  The message read like that was what Jeff wanted (which days later he clarifed that he was only asking our opinion).  The video gets taken down, shitshow ensues, I publicly resigned (which I asked Jeff to remove me that day and he never bothered).  After that mess Jeff asked if anyone on the staff wanted to purchase the site (the impression was that he felt he couldn't win with the community).  So he initiated selling the site to some of us, we exchanged emails and set up a time for a phone call to discuss details.  He didn't show up for the call, and we didn't hear another word from him until he popped in a couple months later to say some of his GoCollect lackey's were joining the staff as admins/mods.  

That blown handling of the potential sale was when we decided we were going to create an alternative and the wheels really went in motion for VGS.  We tried guys! The entire NA server being shut down forcing GoCollects hand to make their "improvements" had nothing to do with what we were building here.  

One other thing Johnny brought up about Dain being above criticism from so many, I couldn't agree more!  How can people say "NA sucks!! Except for Dain"  Now I'm not complaining about Dain, I like some stuff he did and don't like some other stuff.  But how does a person get all the credit but none of the blame? If people didn't like NA, wouldn't it stand to reason Dain could have fixed whatever they didn't like about it?  How Dain pulled that trick off I will never know.    

People are still scared to bash Dain. He was the defacto, but absent Patriarch of the community and it still "stings" to be mad at him.

I've already publicly said that GoCollect deserves little to no blame for the things that went down. They are a business, and whether or not we like it, they are doing what they feel is best in their businesses interest.

One thing I do know, is that Jeff single-handedly destroyed Dain's legacy, and likely even devalued the "Caronlina Collection" to a point of irrelevancy. Not only removing the name from the website, but practically scrubbing its existence from the internet is crazy. How do you destroy a brand overnight like that is beyond me!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

People are still scared to bash Dain. He was the defacto, but absent Patriarch of the community and it still "stings" to be mad at him.

I've already publicly said that GoCollect deserves little to no blame for the things that went down. They are a business, and whether or not we like it, they are doing what they feel is best in their businesses interest.

One thing I do know, is that Jeff single-handedly destroyed Dain's legacy, and likely even devalued the "Caronlina Collection" to a point of irrelevancy. Not only removing the name from the website, but practically scrubbing its existence from the internet is crazy. How do you destroy a brand overnight like that is beyond me!

I’m not afraid to bash a guy. However, he did say in an interview with @Johnny that he made NA for him, not anyone else. I don’t give Dain a pass though. He is equally responsible for what happened. He abandoned us all and let a corporation end it all for a paycheck..... Does that make him a bad person though? 
Do people really care about the “Carolina collection”?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I’m not afraid to bash a guy. However, he did say in an interview with @Johnny that he made NA for him, not anyone else. I don’t give Dain a pass though. He is equally responsible for what happened. He abandoned us all and let a corporation end it all for a paycheck..... Does that make him a bad person though? 

The majority of the community here? No, they don't care about the Carolina Collection.

But there's obviously an incentive to have the name hold value, which in my opinion is diminished with the Game of Thrones Season 8 style ending of Dain and his website.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

The very notion that it's called "Carolina Collection" is enough to put me off of ever wanting anything from it. It's such a pretentious load of shit to the point of being borderline insulting. @ThePhleo is absolutely right about Dains now horrendous reputation being a detriment to it ever selling.

Anyway, I dig the show. I binge listened after the link was posted at the top of the forum a week or so ago. I am really hyped for "So You Want to Collect for NES pt 2" if it ever shows up.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:47 AM, B.A. said:

Thank you for the clarification

• 2 weeks later...

Love the show. Listened to the recent episode about the Sonic Movie and Pawn Stars yesterday. Entertaining as always. 

Said it on NA, I've spread the word about the show to everyone I know who has interest in retro games. Particularly convenient with it being on Spotify, since I can listen to an episode on my way to university or work, it's great. 

The games that can be posted on holidays is for sure my favourite episode,  if for nothing else than the two mentions of Night Trap and GTA with no disk pickup. Cheers for the consistent entertainment guys, been an active listener for nearly three years. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2019 at 8:03 PM, ThePhleo said:

I'm a bit confused about the "Carolina Collection." It appears that this is what WATA refers to as a "pedigree" collection, but is it just me or was this collection split up and sold among different vendors? I noticed back in October several of Dain's collection was up for auction on Heritage. But then I see that Metropolis collectibles supposedly purchased items from the "Carolina Collection" too but the games they bought don't all say "Carolina Collection" on the WATA certification details - only some. Yet all of the ones sold on Heritage did say "Carolina Collection" on the the WATA certification details. So what constitutes the Carolina Collection exactly? Is just some of Dain's collection part of the Carolina Collection while other games in his collection are not and why?

Sour grapes aside, I still hold no blame on Jeff. Dain however, I’m still upset with. The lack of communication is deafening.

I also noticed a ton of “Carolina Collection” stuff floating around and I suspect there’s people out there who just bought a whole chunk from Jeff.

Honestly, I care very little about the whole naming scheme. But if that’s what floats others boats then so be it.

I said before somewhere that I know a guy who owns a bunch of Dains Brazilian stuff and a bunch of his Asian stuff. I wonder if that’s still “Carolina” especially comsidering that his CIB Asian Mah Jong is super easy to identify since there are only a few known copies to exist.

• 1 month later...

Hey @Archon 1981 and @DefaultGen just listened to the latest ep, great stuff as always!

Just wanted to provide a little information, Shigeru Miyamoto did actually do a sit down signing event in virgin megastore in London in 2003. Details on this event are available online:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/article_47462

Not sure if this is the only signing he ever did, but what I do know is I was there! 😆 Treasuring this beauty in my collection to this day:

IMG20191015202650.thumb.jpg.f5e9efd97a98f7e77cb99f5b363579e1.jpg

Unfortunately, as you say, provenance is king, and the photos I had taken of myself shaking Shigsy's hand are long gone. However, I will always have the memories and couldn't really imagine parting with this item anyway.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know about this event, and brag a little bit, naturally! 😉 Keep up the good work! :)

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

8 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

That’s rad. Stephan knows someone with a signed OOT cart but they apparently want well over $1000 for it. Autographs are cool, especially of a living legend, but not THAT cool to me.

Oof, a thousand bucks, yeesh!

I guess I can understand why someone would want something like that, it's like a little additional distinction to set your item apart from someone else's... Or maybe the mere fact that someone special had once touched that item, kinda changes it in some way. It almost becomes like a religious relic at some point, lol! But, actually increasing value to that extent, hmm not sure about that!

But, for me, yeah I happen to be one of those who think autographs are more about memorialising a meeting or an event. The autograph itself and the item it's attached to are basically secondary to that. I don't think I would have ever sought this item out if it didn't have a personal connection with the game and the signing together.

However, this is just my opinion. I reckon an autograph might mean more if it was attached to something that actually BELONGED to Shigsy or whomever. Like this is my childhood Yoshi's Island, so it really only means something to me. But if it was a copy that Shigsy himself owned and played, then signed and donated to charity or whatever THEN I could see it being way more significant!

It's definitely an interesting little niche to consider, at least from a theoretical standpoint, and as you guys were saying as the years roll by and more of our favourite creators age and leave us, maybe this area of collecting might evolve a little too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...