IGNORED

Sega Mega Drive Mini 2 (with some Sega CD games)

Tentatively interesting and cautious about this one.  I like what they did the first time around, it was well up there in quality that only Nintendo and NEC(Konami) pulled off all these years in solid game selection on a locked system with great output, great menu, nice build.

So far Popful Mail and Silpheed have my interest, that's it, but of 50+ games we know like what...10?  Sega is going to do another drip feed over the months to keep people dramatically waiting too long I guess (lame.)  I was shocked to see the one JP MD game cart I do own in that little list, Magical Taruruto-kun, an excellent colorful beautifully done platforming game made by the pokemon people...Gamefreak (they also did Pulseman on Sega too.)  I can safely recommend that cart from the few we know.  I like that the CD unit is a fluff piece for show, for those who want it, but seemingly is there just as fluff so it's not forced.  Kind of messed up this time charging for the added controller, a backwards stunt opposite of how Nintendo did it NES (1) SNES (2) on their minis.

I want to see how this plays out because the library of the first one is quite amazing but sure, with a library that fat it's missing some obvious entries this may button up.  I have few plugs and hdmi spots left, and one is empty for the Pocket(dock) when that shows probably around the time this comes out anyway.  Hey maybe it'll use the same wires??  I wouldn't mind swapping if the CD side of things really makes me want this bad enough, as it would have to, given I have a Mega Sg+Nomad already so it'll come down to the ISOs of CDs they stuff in there I think in the end.

We will have to see what the US release will offer - and what other Sega CD games are up on it - they put Snatcher on and it is going to be an instant seller IMHO - I am hoping for Dark Wizard, Third World War and Vay .  Rise of the Dragon and The Secret of Monkey Island would be nice too.

• Like 2

I'm curious what they'll do this go around.  Split the load like the MD vs GEN/UK MD got...or will they be smart given the space is there given the CDs this go around and just dump it all on there with a region switch like the PCE/CG/TG16 mini had which would be fantastic.  M2 did that one for them anyway at Konami so the thought had to cross the mind to try it again if Sega would be on board.

Like I said, I don't need another Sega HD box, my Mega Sg is there, but...given the price and what CDs are offered up I'd be in.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I see that off the link too, if I bought it now it has that for the window date.

I'm on the fence, not sure if someone might Christmas gift me the thing, then there's the horror of it selling out and grifters going nuts given the SegaCD side of things on there.  I hope you have a lot of fun with that in a week.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I see that off the link too, if I bought it now it has that for the window date.

I'm on the fence, not sure if someone might Christmas gift me the thing, then there's the horror of it selling out and grifters going nuts given the SegaCD side of things on there.  I hope you have a lot of fun with that in a week.

The Shining Force  CD alone is worth it for me.

@Tabonga For me, that's a no-play, strategy/tactical RPGs tick me off.  I'm all for Final Fight CD at the tops along with Silpheed, Robo Aleste, Ninja Warriors and even Sonic CD.  I think Night Striker looks excellent potentially too.  Ecco sucks, and those FMV games are not my thing but i'd probably try them out.  The special release sorta new games of sorts have me interested as well.  That said the general list is as if not more amazing than the first with those 2nd entries for Rolling Thunder and Splatterhouse, also Streets of Rage 3 and the various Renovation carts too.  Centy would be great to try out on a legally owned copy that doesn't cost more than a house payment.

This is showing up for sale on amazon with an ESRB rating on the box, but it's being sold by Amazon Japan for a hefty price (compared to the first SGM)! So, I wonder if this is a scam from someone - just slap an ESRB rating on the box and call it a day - or if this is legit? 

18 minutes ago, avatar! said:

This is showing up for sale on amazon with an ESRB rating on the box, but it's being sold by Amazon Japan for a hefty price (compared to the first SGM)! So, I wonder if this is a scam from someone - just slap an ESRB rating on the box and call it a day - or if this is legit? 

Mine came today and Sega Japan still has it for $99.99. Not sure what your seeing. 

【For sales in North America】SEGA Genesis Mini 2 https://a.co/d/hoWqErK

19 hours ago, avatar! said:

It’s legit. Sega of Japan is allowed to apply for an ESRB rating. They typically wouldn’t because they typically make stuff for sale in Japan. But in this case, they are handling distribution to the all regions so they did everything they needed to market it for sale in the US

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Economies of scale. This is a limited release, so the input costs per unit are higher

Allegedly. They just want to meet demand. Not making many over the preordered amount doesn't necessarily mean it's a low print run.

I'm just shamed that Sega is a company that pioneered the mini console movement and they were total shit, then Nintendo made them relevant and Sega is back to milking the old cow for a few more dollars.

44 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Allegedly. They just want to meet demand. Not making many over the preordered amount doesn't necessarily mean it's a low print run.

I'm just shamed that Sega is a company that pioneered the mini console movement and they were total shit, then Nintendo made them relevant and Sega is back to milking the old cow for a few more dollars.

Google says the original Genesis mini sold 1.5M units. Sega says they anticipate only 10% of the sales the original one got so maybe 150k units. 

150k can be a lot for software, but when you’re having to design custom hardware for only 150k units sales, we are really lucky they even went ahead and did this. It’s probably not financially even worth it for them 

Edited by phart010

20 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Google says the original Genesis mini sold 1.5M units. Sega says they anticipate only 10% of the sales the original one got so maybe 150k units. 

150k can be a lot for software, but when you’re having to design custom hardware for only 150k units sales, we are really lucky they even went ahead and did this. It’s probably not financially even worth it for them 

Hard to believe this is only 5 years old.

Screenshot_20221102_191307_eBay.jpg.df9620c49ab63f28e007af206f36d5a3.jpg

And this is from 2004

Screenshot_20221102_191455_eBay.thumb.jpg.c781213901da77b8d5243a77eba742ca.jpg

Sega has been out here for literally decades with "mini" consoles. They're milking a zombie cow at this point. 

11 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Hard to believe this is only 5 years old.

Screenshot_20221102_191307_eBay.jpg.df9620c49ab63f28e007af206f36d5a3.jpg

And this is from 2004

Screenshot_20221102_191455_eBay.thumb.jpg.c781213901da77b8d5243a77eba742ca.jpg

Sega has been out here for literally decades with "mini" consoles. They're milking a zombie cow at this point. 

I can’t speak for all of the older mini systems, but the one in the first picture you posted was an AtGames product. Sega had no involvement in making that. It was just a licensing deal for them. No different than if you were gonna make Sonic the Hedgehog t shirts or toys and you filled out Sega’s licensing deal agreement and paid them some royalties based on your sales.

These last two mini systems were designed and manufactured by Sega. You can really tell that too.  There’s level of quality in these products that you’d never find with cheap clone companies like AtGames.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, phart010 said:

designed and manufactured by Sega

level of quality in these products

1536872455_Screenshot_20221102_194236_Brave2.thumb.jpg.3b8745c221cd478e770db410b84b55d5.jpg

Choose one. I have the first one and it's a among the flimsist mini I have. Definitely wouldn't consider of the minis outside of maybe the neogeo to show any signs of quality. Even that one missed out on the microswitchs on the joystick . Theyre all just quickly made plastic shells slapped together with a decent replica controller.