IGNORED

Forgettable tv shows.

Tabonga

This show had a tie in to the famous "The Beverly Hillbillies" tv show.  Petticoat Junction  spawned yet another forgettable tie in to both shows called "Green Acres".

I did like the buffoonish Uncle Joe* - who unbeknownst to all was way ahead of his time.........

*Green Acres had the conniving  Mr. Haney who was pretty funny too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

Z-I-effel-effel-E-L

Actually both shows had a pretty good cast of older entertainment personalities (read up on Smiley Burnette who played an engineer on Petticoat Junction until his death - he had a really interesting career).  The problem was that the scripts for both shows were pretty hopeless.

The worst IMHO was this clunker/turkey:

58 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Harper's Island was a 13 episode murder mystery thriller that ran on CBS in 2009. I made my wife watch it and I've never met another person who's even heard of it.

I have that on DVD and actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  A big problem with it was that cell phones were just coming into use and were never very adequately accounted for in the storyline.

The island also usually didn't seem to have anyone on it (other than the principals) despite showing lots of signs of having a lot of people there.  There were a lot of people at the bar scene - so maybe they just stayed there all of the time!

If you have never seen it this is a marvelous movie sorta on the same lines.

Edited by Tabonga

The_News_Is_The_News.jpg

I don't really know how to describe "The News is the News" other then awful (and forgettable as I'm having trouble trying to describe it, but Wikipedia says 'Live-News Satire Program'). I wasn't old enough to watch this when it first aired on June 15, 1983, but ended up being lucky/unlucky enough to watch a recording of the first episode on Betamax a few years ago. But compared to other shows recorded on other tapes from the same lot/similar shows on the air at that time, this was just unfunny and boring. 

Should probably transfer it before the tape goes bad though.

9 minutes ago, AverageOliver98 said:

The_News_Is_The_News.jpg

I don't really know how to describe "The News is the News" other then awful (and forgettable as I'm having trouble trying to describe it, but Wikipedia says 'Live-News Satire Program'). I wasn't old enough to watch this when it first aired on June 15, 1983, but ended up being lucky/unlucky enough to watch a recording of the first episode on Betamax a few years ago. But compared to other shows recorded on other tapes from the same lot/similar shows on the air at that time, this was just unfunny and boring. 

Should probably transfer it before the tape goes bad though.

I am probably the only person here who saw this:

It was supposed to compete with Laugh In and only ran for one episode.  In some markets it was pulled early because program managers saw how bad it was and had to field complaints from irate viewers.  A truly unique episode (as it were) in tv history.

There was The Pauly Shore show.  Surprisingly, it lasted 5 episodes before being cancelled.  I didn't watch that one, but I remember it's ad campaign.  Pauly Shore announced that if you didn't like the show, he'd give you a dollar--there was a 1-800 number on the screen and if you seriously didn't like the show, you could call it and they would send you a dollar.  Wikipedia doesn't mention this, but I distinctly remember hearing about the phone number and $1 bit on the radio.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RH said:

There was The Pauly Shore show.  Surprisingly, it lasted 5 episodes before being cancelled.  I didn't watch that one, but I remember it's ad campaign.  Pauly Shore announced that if you didn't like the show, he'd give you a dollar--there was a 1-800 number on the screen and if you seriously didn't like the show, you could call it and they would send you a dollar.  Wikipedia doesn't mention this, but I distinctly remember hearing about the phone number and $1 bit on the radio.

There was a radio station (I think it was in California) that as a gag  said they had hidden a fairly large amount of money in various denominations in books in a local library.  Listeners descended on the library and threw pretty much all of the books on the floor looking for the non-existant money.  Between the damage to books and having to reshelve everything the radio station got stuck with a really large bill.

Just now, Tabonga said:

There was a radio station (I think it was in California) that as a gag  said they had hidden a fairly large amount of money in various denominations in books in a local library.  Listeners descended on the library and threw pretty much all of the books on the floor looking for the non-existant money.  Between the damage to books and having to reshelve everything the radio station got stuck with a really large bill.

Yeah, that was a dumb move on their part.  I can just hear the studio manager-- "What did you think would happen?!"  Which is what I sometimes tell my 8 and 11 year old kids.

12 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, that was a dumb move on their part.  I can just hear the studio manager-- "What did you think would happen?!"  Which is what I sometimes tell my 8 and 11 year old kids.

I imagine it was just an  off the cuff remark that the on air people didn't think through.

Here is a more complete version:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1994-04-08-1994098105-story.html

Edited by Tabonga

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Reminds me of my local San Diego radio show. April 1st, 1993, they reported the space shuttle had to make an emergency landing at a local municipal field in a relatively residential area. Over 1000 people showed up to see. The police were pissed and threatened to bill the station for all the extra hours it took to clear the traffic.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-04-02-mn-18176-story.html

@TabongaHarper's Island isn't without it's faults, but sometimes this genre does require a little suspension of disbelief. At this point, it does feel like a little time capsule from mid 2000s, complete with its own early YouTube web series.

Edited by Aguy

3 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm sure nobody remembers the best TV show of 2003 other than @Richardhead

Found a full episode here: https://www.netflixtvseries.com/tv/9819/the-mullets

i definitely watched this show a few times. It's still worth watching to see a young Rickety Cricket.

UPN has a bad rep, but I give them a lot of credit for giving a lot of weird shows a chance. Plus, Homeboys in Outer Space is a true classic.

Edited by Daniel_Doyce
in not from
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tabonga said:

This show had a tie in to the famous "The Beverly Hillbillies" tv show.  Petticoat Junction  spawned yet another forgettable tie in to both shows called "Green Acres".

I did like the buffoonish Uncle Joe* - who unbeknownst to all was way ahead of his time.........

*Green Acres had the conniving  Mr. Haney who was pretty funny too.

Hey, this show was pretty popular and definitely not forgettable. It did wear out its welcome and was one of the first shows canceled during the infamous "Rural Purge" in 1970.

One of the best gags on NewsRadio was Dave Nelson's love of Green Acres.

• Like 1