IGNORED

"Long pig" cinema.

Tabonga

What is your favorite film that involves cannibalism?

This little gem is actually a dark comedy despite what the trailer indicates.  Rory Calhoun and his sister  waylay hapless travellers, plant them in the ground and feed them special nutrients before "harvesting" them. The tagline of the move is "it takes all kind of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters".

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

No Solicitors (2015) starring Eric Roberts is a fun one. A respected surgeon and his insane family hold unwanted guests prisoner and traffic their organs and cook and eat them. I read IMDB reviews that criticize the acting and effects but it's an over the top exploitation movie not to be taken seriously. I enjoyed it for what it is.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Gonna go for a little known cinematic gem and winner of 5 Oscars called The Silence of the Lambs 🤔 Raw is a pretty good modern one. Cannibal Holocaust is a classic. I don't think I have any interesting choices to add unfortunately.

Raw was pretty amusing.  

21 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t know about movies but I’ve always thought someone should open a cannibal themed restaurant.

Finger sandwiches? 
Hot dog with 100 % real wiener? 

And the fact that this is a movie genre is super weird to me, but I can see how horror guys are into it. 

Is “long pig” some tribal slang for a human, like roasting a “long pig” on the spit is roasting a human, to eat? I have to assume so. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Finger sandwiches? 
Hot dog with 100 % real wiener? 

And the fact that this is a movie genre is super weird to me, but I can see how horror guys are into it. 

Is “long pig” some tribal slang for a human, like roasting a “long pig” on the spit is roasting a human, to eat? I have to assume so. 

I’ll have the rack of man please

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I don't know if it is a movie genre per se - just a theme that does crop up from time to time - and not always in horror movies.  Soylent Green was a sci fi movie based on a novella by Harry Harrison called "Make Room! Make Room!" about a dystopian future of extreme overcrowding.  Most ot the ones featuring this that I like are black humor type films - which I like in various genres.  Alive was a movie based on the famous Andes plane crash in 1972.

Supposedly the term comes from the early to mid 1800s when the South Seas were being explored and was the translation of a term used by a cannibal tribe located there.  Long pig also refers to the idea that human flesh reportedly tastes like pork.  And the leg and arm bones are longer than pig legs.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t know about movies but I’ve always thought someone should open a cannibal themed restaurant.

The University of Colorado Boulder has this dining hall:

alferd-packer.jpg.7227a766541435f61120cdc8e5574c65.jpg

Alferd Packer was a famous cannibal who ate 5 of the 7 Democrats in Hinsdale County (Colorado)  in 1873.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Love 1