IGNORED

It's tax season! Time to pay the piper.

Tulpa

I owe 4 grand. I filled the new style w4 incorrectly apparently and haven't been paying income tax, or at least nearly enough. I had direct deposit, so it never really occurred to me to double check my paystub to make sure everything was correct. Money posted, great! Definitely filled out a new w4 right away so this doesn't happen again next year.

My taxes have been all over the place for years as a contractor.  I have been a contractor for about 7 years up until this past November.  I also made a really good rate most of those years and I pre-paid taxes assuming I might be able to work 50 weeks out of the year at that rate, all though most of my gigs were 6-9 months long and I always had about 1 month off in between gigs.  I'd budget for that.

Anyway, I'd always end up over paying and getting back $7-9,000.  I 2019, though, I used the CARES Act to pull out 100k from my IRA to buy a home.  Since it's unpenalized and it was an old traditional account, I've not repaid it because I don't see the point.  True, I could lower my taxes a bit but since it was a traditional rather than a Roth, I'm not worried about it.

Anyway, I'm distributing that $100k across 3 years so it's treated as me earning an additional $33k each year.  I still need some tax documents to come in from the multiple retirement accounts I have, and then I always get straight on it.  I assume I'll owe this year, but I have no clue how much.  Regardless, we've over-budgeted for taxes this year and next, so I think we should be fine, but my gut says we'll likely owe around $4-5,000.

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I'll owe somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 grand, so I will be paying as late as possible.  

Don't you get yelled at for not doing quarterly payments? I send a check in every quarter to cover my dividend income and usually end up owing less than a grand. Or did you get a nice windfall from a security sale in 4Q?

7 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Don't you get yelled at for not doing quarterly payments? I send a check in every quarter to cover my dividend income and usually end up owing less than a grand. Or did you get a nice windfall from a security sale in 4Q?

It's a one off thing.  I don't like money being stolen from me, so I prefer to pay it as late as possible without getting penalized.  

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

We withdrew money from our IRA to buy a home in 2020, and we’re spreading that across 3 years. The value of the home is doing way better than the IRA, so that’s good. Regardless, it means I have had to pay a good bit this year and likely the same next year.

On 2/12/2022 at 12:47 AM, Kguillemette said:

I owe 4 grand. I filled the new style w4 incorrectly apparently and haven't been paying income tax, or at least nearly enough. I had direct deposit, so it never really occurred to me to double check my paystub to make sure everything was correct. Money posted, great! Definitely filled out a new w4 right away so this doesn't happen again next year.

Went to finally file and wound up with a nice return after entering the ctc form. I don't understand tax law whatsoever, but I'm glad it wound up working in my favor!