IGNORED

Best way to look up game prices from pre-2008?

austin532

Digital Press, 7th Edition will tell you what games were roughly worth in 2001, and my eBay feedback shows me exactly what I paid for video game items dating back to like 2005; in fact, some of the prices are so ridiculously low by todays standards that I almost feel like taking the time someday to do a bunch of print-screens and then post the pictures here on the forum...

• Like 1

Is this just for personal interest? I can’t imagine any practical use coming out of having this information. As others have said here, collecting wasn’t really a mainstream thing then, many game stores just randomly slapped a price sticker between $1-$15 on most games.

Smartphones only just came out like in 2007, most people didn’t get one for years after so not much price referencing was being done.

• Like 1

Most used games still were pretty low/flat up until it closed in on 2010 when inflation started to obviously kick in, but it was that mix of mid 2011 into 2012 when the shit hit the fan and things got started down a very ugly road.

So what's next? Should we dwell on the fact that when you paid $10 or $5 or $20 for a game, you didn't care and neither did the retailer if it was loose or complete?  Or at best you maybe paid like $5-10 higher for the full deal.  Oh the days when paper, trays, dust sleeves, even little foam blocks and non-descript baggies didn't cost you a premium per piece. 😄

13 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Honestly before 2000 almost all used games were the same price unless it was still the current gen.

Yeah, that's how it was up here.  CIB NES were all five bucks each in the very early 2000's - it didn't really matter what title.  I remember one time during this era I walked into a game store with a couple of collector buddies and they had Strider and Yo Noid new/sealed up on the back wall behind the counter for $60 each.  I grabbed them immediately, and while I was paying the $120 + tax, the three guys I was with were looking at me like I was craaaaaazy!  I've always been a condition whore, I guess, but those were very different times...

• Like 1

Me too.  The shop when I was on NA back in the day during the west coast times there was this shop, it was the same one I started buying second hand from in 1995.  90% of the stock, didn't matter if it was any Nintendo, Sega, NEC, Atari, 3DO, whatever system...outside of SNK it was $5.  It was $5 if it was beat to shit or immaculate in the box, $5.  The few games that did score a few more notable dollars at Funco and other printed paid mailorder price lists dictated it went up from there.  Of that last 10%~ a majority of that were games in the $6-10 range, a few were $15 or 20, and I recall the most expensive was Dragon Warrior IV for all of $40 or $50.

I used to take a $20 bill there weekly to go on a weekend Nintendo tour of discovery, sometimes a bit more.  Stuff now that goes crazy, was just cheap.  Bonk, Bubble Bobble 2, (didn't buy it) Little Samson, they were $10 games, and your SNES stuff like Aero Fighters, either Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger they were $10 too.  Earthbound was $20 if you bought it complete in the big box, loose was a bit less since no guide and all.  Those were the fun times, no garbage trying to death of a thousand cuts your wallet.

• Like 1

The other thing I can suggest is to buy some video games magazines, and ones that are sold locally depending on where you’re from. The year of publication should give you a general price guide.

eg. Nintendo Power - US

CVG - UK

Hyper - Australia

From what I can recall, they should have some second hand prices within the articles.