IGNORED

Asshole Parents

On 9/19/2020 at 7:55 PM, avatar! said:

Teachers should make higher than median income. Should. Like maybe 15% higher upon hire than median wages and then steady raises and awesome pensions and all that. In time, it would make people want to become teachers outside of the just the passionate. In the long term our children would thrive!

But we aren't in that world and we are a long way from getting there. And in the meantime we just need to do our best to ride out this shitty hand we have been collectively dealt until we can return to a semblance of normal.

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Not trying to be a dick but actually curious about my preconception — I thought TEFLs usually dealt with business folks and such.  

Nah, people of all ages want / need to learn English for a variety of reasons, business, travel, to pass a school entrance exam, study abroad, etc. Even in poor rural areas , a large portion of young children are getting English lessons of one sort or another.

16 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Teachers should make higher than median income. Should. Like maybe 15% higher upon hire than median wages and then steady raises and awesome pensions and all that. In time, it would make people want to become teachers outside of the just the passionate. In the long term our children would thrive!

It depends on the district. Some district around me top out for teaching secondary math (7-12) between $94-112k. My district is $87k. That is with two masters degrees. My district pays for around 80% of the cost for those degrees, we just have to put the money up front and then are reimbursed when we pass the class. 

The south tho, man teachers got it rough down there. They don't need nearly as many qualifications as we do here in PA. That is one of the reason the pay is better up Norf.

Still though, with my skill set I would be getting paid about double in the private sector, if not more. Image the job where everyday you get up in front of a room full of people and give several engaging speeches on instructional content. It's most people's worst nightmare and it's my daily routine. 

I am drawn to the private sector in terms of pay but teaching, for me, is about the easiest job in the world. I'm good infront of crowds, I know secondary math as good as anyone I've ever met and I have the soft skills to manage personalities. 

• Like 1

I can speak from the teacher and parent of a young child side of things.

The situation isn't remotely ideal.  People (teachers, parents, students) need to be flexible to the furthest extent possible as this situation isn't particularly enjoyable for anyone involved.

Teachers need to be flexible with their instruction methodologies and understand that it is exceptionally hard for a working parent to help their child navigate a million unfamiliar apps and both synchronous and asynchronous learning.

Parents need to understand that teacher's options for instruction are limited, and they're doing their best with the hand they're dealt.  We understand that you have a young child or children at home and you also have a full time job that you're committed to doing.  Many teachers (myself included) are in the exact same situation.  We'd much, much rather be teaching your children in person as we've been trained to do and have done for many years, but we're unfortunately in the middle of a global pandemic, and we're learning as we go much like you all are.

The academic experiences are not the same and not as good as they were previously.  The social experiences are not the same and not as good as they were previously.  Our instructional options are limited.  The ability for working parents to play a secondary role as a teacher is limited.  We have to tread water a bit until the world allows us to go back to normal.  When parents share their frustration, I validate it and do my best to mitigate whatever concerns or issues they are having.  Same with students.  I ask that they share the same patience and flexibility with me as well, and so far most have been very understanding.

As for the pay piece, it's largely regional.  I am not at the top of my pay scale, and I'm set to make $97,677 this year as a base salary.  Yes, I had to get a Master's degree, and I have to continue to take grad courses to maintain my license, but I have zero issue with the amount of money I get paid.  If I was unsatisfied, I'd simply pursue a different line of work.  I'm paid comfortably enough that I'm closing on my fourth multifamily in two weeks (Charlestown, Monument Square with a rooftop deck that centers on the Bunker Hill Monument) and have never felt strapped for cash.  It's a matter of living below my means and working additional hours and not taking the summers off.  I understand other parts of the country have issues with teacher pay, but public schools in the Greater Boston area pay very well, and that's likely a big part of why they're some of the best schools in the nation.

My 2 cents.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/atlanta-dekalb-parents-rally-for-schools-to-reopen/TQQLCPZPWBFQZCBT7AXDOBF5UM/

Lining 10th Street and holding signs with messages like “Virtual school is depressing” and “School not screens,” the families said they were frustrated with Atlanta Public Schools’ and DeKalb County Public Schools’ decisions to continue holding virtual classes. They said their children’s education has suffered in the virtual format, while making life difficult for working parents.

As far as I can tell, these parents are tired of having to deal with their children and so are willing to put people's lives at risk in order to have an easier time themselves. How is this not an asshole thing? - It is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, avatar! said:

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/atlanta-dekalb-parents-rally-for-schools-to-reopen/TQQLCPZPWBFQZCBT7AXDOBF5UM/

Lining 10th Street and holding signs with messages like “Virtual school is depressing” and “School not screens,” the families said they were frustrated with Atlanta Public Schools’ and DeKalb County Public Schools’ decisions to continue holding virtual classes. They said their children’s education has suffered in the virtual format, while making life difficult for working parents.

As far as I can tell, these parents are tired of having to deal with their children and so are willing to put people's lives at risk in order to have an easier time themselves. How is this not an asshole thing? - It is.

Oh cool, more opinions from the guy who doesn't have any young kids who have essentially had a year of their foundation in learning wasted.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Totally agree with you sir, see it everyday where I work.

In this day and age, parents expect the teachers to handle everything, even f'ing potty training. Parents can't be bothered, and the amount of stuff I've heard muttered from the mouths of kids is honestly terrifying.

Be glad you were fortunate enough to have kids, cherish the time Beith them, help be a part of their learning. Anyone who can't do that has their priorities skewed, that's coming from a guy whose parents both worked full time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B.A. said:

Oh cool, more opinions from the guy who doesn't have any young kids who have essentially had a year of their foundation in learning wasted.  

So you're saying it's okay to send kids to schools even if the schools are not ready to handle them during the covid outbreak? Otherwise, what exactly are you saying? I'm sorry you feel your kids have "wasted" a year of learning, but in my mind that is preferable to the alternative of putting people at unnecessary risk. This has been extremely challenging for everyone, and I feel many parents, unlike the ones noted in my previous post, have actually dealt well with the situation.

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, avatar! said:

So you're saying it's okay to send kids to schools even if the schools are not ready to handle them during the covid outbreak? Otherwise, what exactly are you saying? I'm sorry you feel your kids have "wasted" a year of learning, but in my mind that is preferable to the alternative of putting people at unnecessary risk. This has been extremely challenging for everyone, and I feel many parents have dealt well with the situation, but obviously not all.

I'm saying you have no place to call parents assholes when you have no idea what families are going through.  Yes, I do think MY kids should be in school, and I don't give a shit what the childless peanut gallery has to say about it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I'm saying you have no place to call parents assholes when you have no idea what families are going through.  Yes, I do think MY kids should be in school, and I don't give a shit what the childless peanut gallery has to say about it. 

This is why teachers hate many parents, they don't give a shit, as you clearly noted.

You don't know what teachers have to go through, do you? Also, experts have determined it's in the best interest to all to have schools closed. This is not done to save money, this is DONE TO SAVE LIVES.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, avatar! said:

This is why teachers hate many parents, they don't give a shit, as you clearly noted.

You don't know what teachers have to go through, do you? Also, experts have determined it's in the best interest to all to have schools closed. This is not done to save money, this is DONE TO SAVE LIVES.

I don't know what grocery store clerks, garbage men or hospital staff have to go through either.  Those people choose those jobs and they are still doing them in person. I think kids in school is more important than Gamestop being open, but evidently the experts disagree. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I don't know what grocery store clerks, garbage men or hospital staff have to go through either.  Those people choose those jobs and they are still doing them in person. I think kids in school is more important than Gamestop being open, but evidently the experts disagree. 

I think B.A. and I probably disagree about a thing or two, but one thing I agree with is that the designation of what is "essential" has been royally fucked up in the handling of this pandemic. Gamestop is 1000% not essential and should not be open. Any retail store not selling something required to keep a human alive shouldn't be open. But instead we have dumb shit like Bed, Bath, and Beyond or liquor stores open, but schools are closed. I think the lines should be drawn more strictly but they don't want business to fail. Well that's how you get a 2 year pandemic instead of a 3 month one.

Schools, however, shouldn't be open in-person either. I understand that kids don't do so well in digital learning, especially young kids, but I don't think that's a very good reason to put 35 kids in an enclosed space, then have them travelling along the halls to their next class in droves. Not really sure how to make that work logistically without making transmission a guarantee.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I think B.A. and I probably disagree about a thing or two, but one thing I agree with is that the designation of what is "essential" has been royally fucked up in the handling of this pandemic. Gamestop is 1000% not essential and should not be open. Any retail store not selling something required to keep a human alive shouldn't be open. But instead we have dumb shit like Bed, Bath, and Beyond or liquor stores open, but schools are closed. I think the lines should be drawn more strictly but they don't want business to fail. Well that's how you get a 2 year pandemic instead of a 3 month one.

Schools, however, shouldn't be open in-person either. I understand that kids don't do so well in digital learning, especially young kids, but I don't think that's a very good reason to put 35 kids in an enclosed space, then have them travelling along the halls to their next class in droves. Not really sure how to make that work logistically without making transmission a guarantee.

Liquor stores are pretty vital I’d say. Gotta keep the alcoholics out of those hospital beds. I literally have people that would die from withdrawal if I wasn’t there in the morning to sell them their vodka. I also don’t have kids though, so my opinion doesn’t matter😂🙄

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Khromak said:

When the school year started this year my kids were doing hybrid, they went in 2 days a week the classes were split in half so there were only about a dozen kids in a class, they ate their lunch in class, they wore masks all day.  It was far from ideal, but it was better than nothing. Now they are 100% distant learning and it sucks. 

So yes, I think we do agree. I take exception to the calling of parents assholes when they are upset that something a hell of a lot more important (school) isn't allowed but all of these other "essential" activities are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I agree that schools should come first. Schools AND teachers. Due to the intimate school environment covid can easily get transmitted. Teachers in general absolutely want to be back with their kids, but they don't want to get exposed to covid - nor by the way is it in their contract that they have to be unduly exposed to deadly contagions. As for Gamestop, restaurants, etc. I'm not going to disagree that, although handled state by state just like schools, is in general really SNAFU. However, when people insist their kids go to school even though it clearly puts lives in jeopardy, yeah, I call that an asshole move.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked