IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

This particular virus may not kill you, but getting the severe symptoms is no picnic. Like, learning what it's like to suffocate for days on end type of symptoms. And can give you permanent lung damage, where you spend the rest of your life not quite able to breathe as freely as you use to be able to do. I'd rather stay healthy.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I'm masking up to head over to the county jail and was just thinking how much I wish my area had not opened up. The second wave is going to hit Midwest/trump country and Im scared to death. Really hope all the right wingers are right to completely throw covid concerns by the way side, but highly doubt it works out well. And I'm already prepared for them to just blame those damn black protestors when it happens. 

You are aware that while the protests are important, that is definitely going to be the cause of even larger spikes than what we are starting to see from Memorial Day and early May openers, right? 

Please don't turn this thread political again, I just like to see non-healthcare viewpoints and try to inform people as best as I can on how to stay safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zeppelin03 said:

I've been feeling some cold like symptoms off and on.  Little mucusie, throat irritation, etc.  It's reminded me that stuff is still going on.  Like to think it is allergies but you just never know.

If you don't have a fever you are 99.5% fine 😊.  The fever is usually when you should contemplate either getting tested or quarantining.

55 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

If you don't have a fever you are 99.5% fine 😊.  The fever is usually when you should contemplate either getting tested or quarantining.

Good to know. To be safe I should probably distance from my in-laws a little longer.  Wouldn't want to get anyone sick.

3 hours ago, Doctornick said:

Please don't turn this thread political again, I just like to see non-healthcare viewpoints and try to inform people as best as I can on how to stay safe.

Fair enough.

The question I have been wanting to ask a doctor is about surfaces and gloves. I wear a mask but haven't been wearing gloves. Initially touching anything/everything was a big concern. Then I heard that subsequent research showed the virus doesn't survive on surfaces very long. And Ive heard doctor after doctor push wearing a mask, but gloves not as much. Is that true about surfaces? Is it really only primarily transmitted by human contact?

Edited by NESfiend

17 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Fair enough.

The question I have been wanting to ask a doctor is about surfaces and gloves. I wear a mask but haven't been wearing gloves. Initially touching anything/everything was a big concern. Then I heard that subsequent research showed the virus doesn't survive on surfaces very long. And Ive heard doctor after doctor push wearing a mask, but gloves not as much. Is that true about surfaces? Is it really only primarily transmitted by human contact?

So technically no, you don't need to be concerned with wearing gloves as long as you are practicing very good hand hygiene.  Most people are using sanitizer appropriately and washing their hands whenever possible.  The big issue that is hard for anybody to break is touching your face.  The primary method of transmission is airborne through close human contact, hence why the masks are so important and trying to socially distance is so important.  

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you are anywhere in the south (east or west) or the Midwest I would avoid public places other than shopping for essentials if you are able.  We are about to see what was meant to be avoided by social distancing in March and April.

1 hour ago, Doctornick said:

The big issue that is hard for anybody to break is touching your face.  The primary method of transmission is airborne through close human contact, hence why the masks are so important and trying to socially distance is so important.  

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you are anywhere in the south (east or west) or the Midwest.

I'm in missouri and have no choice but to go into public places for work. And I can't stop touching my damn face. I wear a mask and wash my hands when I leave a building. Get in the car, get mask off, and Im itching my face immediately. Is that safe as long as I washed my hands?

Other question is about drive thrus. On the road, I eat at mcdees and the like a lot in the car. All the employees are gloved and masked. Is that safe? 

Edited by NESfiend

1 hour ago, Doctornick said:

Most people are using sanitizer appropriately and washing their hands whenever possible.  

Heh - our governor* wanted everyone to wash their hands often enough  that he could see  their dry and chapped hands.  Which would make for great  interstates for the virus to introduce itself to people.

*Not really a political statement since I would consider that really ill advised no matter who said it.

54 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I'm in missouri and have no choice but to go into public places for work. And I can't stop touching my damn face. I wear a mask and wash my hands when I leave a building. Get in the car, get mask off, and Im itching my face immediately. Is that safe as long as I washed my hands?

Other question is about drive thrus. On the road, I eat at mcdees and the like a lot in the car. All the employees are gloved and masked. Is that safe? 

Itching your face isn't "dangerous" by any means if you're doing it after washing/sanitizing and waiting until you're in the car, but I would still try to avoid it as much as possible.  I have to keep my mask on constantly for 4-5 hours before I can get a break to eat if I'm lucky, so I definitely know that struggle!

The drive-thru is safe as long as they don't have any sick workers making your food.  With all the panic and worry about their business, all of these places are probably making sure nobody that's even possibly sick is working.  You should still pack a lunch and not eat that junk though 😉, and I love a good McChicken!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Heh - our governor* wanted everyone to wash their hands often enough  that he could see  their dry and chapped hands.  Which would make for great  interstates for the virus to introduce itself to people.

*Not really a political statement since I would consider that really ill advised no matter who said it.

I think every state other than NY and to an extent NJ have proven they aren't the brightest.  Thankfully the WHO and CDC have great information that people should follow readily available online, and anybody calling their doctor should in 99% of the cases be receiving correct information as well.

21 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

I think every state other than NY and to an extent NJ have proven they aren't the brightest.  Thankfully the WHO and CDC have great information that people should follow readily available online, and anybody calling their doctor should in 99% of the cases be receiving correct information as well.

Wait, the WHO has good information online? What about the load of croc they fed everyone, leading to spread and tens of thousands of deaths worldwide? No offence, but the information the WHO has been providing out of the gate was bogus to protect cuddle mates Tedros and Xi, no reason for any intelligent human being to start trusting them now, after that stunt.

19 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Again not going political but I was very disheartened by Cuomo's early demand that the entire national stockpile of ventilators be sent to New York - which was pretty much giving the finger to the rest of the country.

And I don't think making extended care facilities  accept corona patients was the brightest of moves - that is where (as experience has demonstrated) the most vulnerable to fatal exposure are clustered - having worked in a geriatric ward I know how quickly diseases can spread in those conditions.

2 hours ago, Doctornick said:

I love a good McChicken!

No lettuce and easy on the mayo. 2 dollar bundle with mcchicken and small fries is my go to lunch on the road. I limit myself to one soda per day so I have water with that and save my dr pepper for dinner. I know there are healthier options, but Im a work in progress

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Wait, the WHO has good information online? What about the load of croc they fed everyone, leading to spread and tens of thousands of deaths worldwide? No offence, but the information the WHO has been providing out of the gate was bogus to protect cuddle mates Tedros and Xi, no reason for any intelligent human being to start trusting them now, after that stunt.

I'm not talking in politics, I'm talking from a medical information standpoint for people looking for how to be safe.

8 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

I'm not talking in politics, I'm talking from a medical information standpoint for people looking for how to be safe.

I am too. The WHO has been providing false and bogus information, how can we trust anything they say?

As a non doctor I will say the following:

1. Wash your hands

2. Sanitize

3. Social distance

4. Wear a mask

What has the who said that is any different, and more beneficial? My friend doctor in the Philippines said these four items from day one, I posted them here from day one, the who offered contradictory standpoints on most of these from day one. Sorry but please do not ever reference the who as offering good information , when these facts are viewed, otherwise it will call your ability into question.

There's 50 states in the Union...have we yet figured out by now which ones are doing the corona thing right?  I mean there's no shortage of people/places clearly doing it wrong...I always would rather know/see who is doing this kind of thing right.

23 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I am too. The WHO has been providing false and bogus information, how can we trust anything they say?

As a non doctor I will say the following:

1. Wash your hands

2. Sanitize

3. Social distance

4. Wear a mask

What has the who said that is any different, and more beneficial? My friend doctor in the Philippines said these four items from day one, I posted them here from day one, the who offered contradictory standpoints on most of these from day one. Sorry but please do not ever reference the who as offering good information , when these facts are viewed, otherwise it will call your ability into question.

I guess call my ability into question then.  Join the thousands of people who argue and disagree with me or other colleagues every week.  Either way thanks for your input, and I'm glad that Taiwan figured it out.  Hopefully the US can do that too before winter comes back.

26 minutes ago, Estil said:

There's 50 states in the Union...have we yet figured out by now which ones are doing the corona thing right?  I mean there's no shortage of people/places clearly doing it wrong...I always would rather know/see who is doing this kind of thing right.

In some cases it may have to do with things (somehwat) unique to that state. New York City has lots of people crammed into mutliple dwelling buildings and relies on mass transit.  I am guessing that it has a high proportion of multigenerational residences. So it can spread fast and hit vulnerable portions of the population all the more quickly.

15 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

I guess call my ability into question then.  Join the thousands of people who argue and disagree with me or other colleagues every week.  Either way thanks for your input, and I'm glad that Taiwan figured it out.  Hopefully the US can do that too before winter comes back.

Do you honestly think the WHO did it right? Let's share some respect for the doctors that actually did call it right, despite going against the grain.

The WHO failed, period. They cared about maintaining China's reputation, did not care about actual people and their lives. Search your heart a bit and then respond.

Maybe I am one of the the thousands that disagree with you, but just remember, the country in which I live and by now call home is not a WHO member, denied for some ungodly reason despite the fact that I think pandemics should not be political. 

Here's the thing though, I never experienced lockdown, even the schools remained opened here...and by a country excluded by WHO. And that WHO has been waffling back and forth on issues such as masks...

That's where I stand , period. I wouldn't recommend anyone to listen to the WHO, politically or not, do you? Can you honestly recommend one "call" they've made, before some other credible source did?

3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

In some cases it may have to do with things (somehwat) unique to that state. New York City has lots of people crammed into mutliple dwelling buildings and relies on mass transit.  I am guessing that it has a high proportion of multigenerational residences. So it can spread fast and hit vulnerable portions of the population all the more quickly.

Yeah but that can't really be helped.

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Do you honestly think the WHO did it right? Let's share some respect for the doctors that actually did call it right, despite going against the grain.

The WHO failed, period. They cared about maintaining China's reputation, did not care about actual people and their lives. Search your heart a bit and then respond.

Maybe I am one of the the thousands that disagree with you, but just remember, the country in which I live and by now call home is not a WHO member, denied for some ungodly reason despite the fact that I think pandemics should not be political. 

Here's the thing though, I never experienced lockdown, even the schools remained opened here...and by a country excluded by WHO. And that WHO has been waffling back and forth on issues such as masks...

That's where I stand , period. I wouldn't recommend anyone to listen to the WHO, politically or not, do you? Can you honestly recommend one "call" they've made, before some other credible source did?

I can honestly say the information on their site relating to Covid-19, specifically under the "Mythbusters Tab" is good for the every day person who makes the mistake of watching biased news.  I'm not talking about the domino effect of errors/lies/whatever else leading to the mass spread.  I'm specifically talking tips and easy answers for stuff that the kind of people who would drink bleach don't know.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah but that can't really be helped.

Nope - but it does perhaps explain it.

Meanwhile various cities (such as Denver) allow large multiresidential buildings apace to be put up with no parking -which overstresses already crowded neighborhoods (in terms of parking). Occasionally the justification will be given that  people shouldn't own cars anyway and should use mass transit.  I doubt that this will change because of the virus.