IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

22 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Hey crabby!

Did you ever finish the whole licensed NTSC set? If so, what an effort! What are you going to do next? Play other subsets of the 8-bit Nintendo universe? Move on to another platform?

I did! Just this last week I replayed a few games to make sure I had the correct win conditions (Rally Bike, Lunar Pool and a few others) so I'm extra confident right now that I've totally finished the library. 

I'm toying with the idea of maybe going through the TG16 and SMS North American libraries as well since I have a full TG16 collection and am pretty close to to having all the SMS stuff as well. 

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

I did! Just this last week I replayed a few games to make sure I had the correct win conditions (Rally Bike, Lunar Pool and a few others) so I'm extra confident right now that I've totally finished the library. 

I'm toying with the idea of maybe going through the TG16 and SMS North American libraries as well since I have a full TG16 collection and am pretty close to to having all the SMS stuff as well. 

Any recommendations for a guy who's almost at 240 completions?  I've been playing a lot of games I never would've looked twice at before, and would love to try some more oddball games.

I am enjoying my first-time run through Lolo 2. I've only started Floor 7 tonight (60% of the way through the game), but I've only needed an internet walkthrough to beat one puzzle so far. I also needed the internet once to get through the first Lolo, but needed it on about 1/3 of the puzzles in Lolo 3 when I did that one for an earlier version of this challenge.

4 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I am enjoying my first-time run through Lolo 2. I've only started Floor 7 tonight (60% of the way through the game), but I've only needed an internet walkthrough to beat one puzzle so far. I also needed the internet once to get through the first Lolo, but needed it on about 1/3 of the puzzles in Lolo 3 when I did that one for an earlier version of this challenge.

If you like Lolo, you should try Kickle Cubicle out.  It's not exactly the same, but it's similar in a lot of ways, and it's a pretty damn fun game in it's own right. 

Progress Report:

For the first time since the start of the month, I haven't been running an action game yet.  After beating Golgo 13, I just kinda did some stuff around here that needed doing.  But I did log some time on Shingen.  I picked up a fourth province, and there are a couple territories I could easily take...I just don't have the manpower to maintain my gains afterward, considering the neighbours are nearly maxed out on troops and all outrank me.  So I'm slowly trying to build up my forces while my location is centralized and troops can be sent back and forth with ease, while still skirmishing periodically to keep those targets relatively weakened.  I feel like this is simultaneously easier and harder than the Koei games...the battles are far more in-depth, and all around fun (although the battle music doesn't exactly scream "FIGHT" 😛 ), yet at the same time the management side is more complex and time consuming, and building your army's strength takes ages!  I can definitely see why it's still a 10 point game where the Koei games are all lower.  Also, I had two princesses born two months apart...Shingen you dog 😆  But yeah, progress is being made, albeit slowly.

9 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

If you like Lolo, you should try Kickle Cubicle out.  It's not exactly the same, but it's similar in a lot of ways, and it's a pretty damn fun game in it's own right. 

I know KC very well. I've been the one to beat it several years in a row here. And it is currently on my short list as something I will probably do again in the next week or two. 

5 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I know KC very well. I've been the one to beat it several years in a row here. And it is currently on my short list as something I will probably do again in the next week or two. 

Yeah, it's actually on my hit list as well, though it's not very high up there.  I borrowed it from a friend back in the day, and got pretty far into it, but never got the job done.  But there's others I want to run through before it, so if you beat me to it, c'est la vie.

22 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Any recommendations for a guy who's almost at 240 completions?  I've been playing a lot of games I never would've looked twice at before, and would love to try some more oddball games.

Took a look at what's left and here's a few I quite enjoyed that don't get a lot of notice:

3D World Runner, Bases Loaded III, Boulder Dash (but gets very hard on the final loop), Crash n the Boys, Destiny of an Emperor, Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge, Flying Dragon, Flying Warriors, Ikari Warriors II (not an amazing game, but pretty solid soundtrack), The Immortal, Kick Master, Laser Invasion, Legacy of the Wizard, M.C. Kids, M.U.L.E., Magician, Michael Andretti's World GP, Overlord, Shatterhand, Short Order/Eggsplode, Slalom, Solar Jetman, Street Cop, Tecmo Cup Soccer, Thunder & Lightning, Ultima Quest of the Avatar, Wall Street Kid, Werewolf, Either Wizardry game (but especially Knight of Diamonds), Wrecking Crew and Zanac, 

Hopefully that's a big enough variety and some that you havn't personally gotten to yet. I think all of those games are worth playing through at least once. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000
Forgot to add Street Cop
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Took a look at what's left and here's a few I quite enjoyed that don't get a lot of notice:

3D World Runner, Bases Loaded III, Boulder Dash (but gets very hard on the final loop), Crash n the Boys, Destiny of an Emperor, Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge, Flying Dragon, Flying Warriors, Ikari Warriors II (not an amazing game, but pretty solid soundtrack), The Immortal, Kick Master, Laser Invasion, Legacy of the Wizard, M.C. Kids, M.U.L.E., Magician, Michael Andretti's World GP, Overlord, Shatterhand, Short Order/Eggsplode, Slalom, Solar Jetman, Street Cop, Tecmo Cup Soccer, Thunder & Lightning, Ultima Quest of the Avatar, Wall Street Kid, Werewolf, Either Wizardry game (but especially Knight of Diamonds), Wrecking Crew and Zanac, 

Hopefully that's a big enough variety and some that you havn't personally gotten to yet. I think all of those games are worth playing through at least once. 

Well, I've already knocked off a few of those, but the bulk of that list is either games I've only dabbled in, or games I've never thought to try out.  There's a couple there that I don't particularly like (Boulder Dash isn't my cup of tea, nor is Thunder & Lightning), and with my Power Pad in another province right now, Short Order/Eggsplode is out.  But I like how varied your recommendations are...basically covers every potential niche there!

• Like 1

So I'm two acts into The Mafat Conspiracy, and holy hell does it do pretty much everything the first game did, but infinitely better.  I haven't played it in about 20 or so years, so I forgot how it played, but everything is vastly improved overall.  This is what sequels should be - everything that was good about the first game, but better!  The only real tough part is the sniping...that's gonna take some practice/luck to hit, but aside from that, it isn't so bad.  Also had a bit of a time on the Arm of Mafat at the end of Act 1, but once I stopped trying to rush him, I took him out with ease.  Go figure 😛

Trog is done.

I found an incredibly useful hint on GameFAQs for this game. I'd always thought that the warp zones spawned randomly. In fact, they can be manually activated by grabbing the shiniest egg last in any level without getting killed. In every level, the shiny one seems to be the one in the lowest-right corner. I was able to skip about 2/3rds of the game exploiting this feature, which gave those bastard cavemen fewer opportunities to eat my limited lives on the way to the finish line.

• Like 1

Progress Update:

Shingen the Ruler is coming along swimmingly.  I have one province I can take any time (he has maybe 20 troops total), but the location is strategically bad, so I'm hoping either someone else takes it, allowing me to keep slapping that territory for monetary gains and experience from a higher level opponent, or that I can take out the surrounding areas while it's still weak, allowing me to take it with little effort.  I also have one neighbour with a ton of troops, but lower level, so I may just take him off the map entirely...his stronger territory is slowly being weakened, and his weaker one I've already slapped into oblivion.  I'm also working on a third territory that is coming along swimmingly.  But there IS one issue...my weakest province doesn't seem to be generating enough wealth to build troops, hindering me from levelling it up.  And it seems transferring troops doesn't transfer experience, so the territory seems to be stuck, with no real prospect of expansion.  I'm not sure what I feel like doing about it...maybe I'll just send all my troops out and let the enemy take it, and then retake it afterward with higher level troops.  I really have no idea what to do about that one...it's lagging well behind my other territories, which are in the mid to late teens, while it's only at level 7.  But whatever happens, I'll ultimately prevail.  My impression is that the game is pretty much a gimme, it's just gonna take a LOT of time to get through it.

As for game 2, I haven't started one...after finishing Mafat Conspiracy, I went to work on Shingen, and I'll likely decide on a second game in the morning. 

Fun fact: Finishing both Golgo 13 games back-to-back is only the second time on my list where I beat a game and it's sequel back to back.  The other?  January 1-2, 2012, when I did Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge back to back. 

Fun fact #2: Mafat marks #238 on my first-time completion list, and #29 on the year.  That's over half-way to my total for ALL of 2012, my previous best year ever with 50 completions on the list (not counting a couple no-death runs and such that I recorded but were not first time completions).  So I'm on pace to obliterate my previous best effort if this holds up.  It probably won't...I tend to go in spurts on various systems, but I should easily be able to make this year my personal best.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 406/677 (bonus games - 49/100)
6 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Checking in and noticed Shingen is in progress. It can be beaten within 5 hours or so by leveling up quickly in the beginning. It is probably more rewarding to grind it out, but the quicker option is there.

I haven't really found a quick way to grind the levels, but since it's my first time ever playing it, I kinda wanna play it normally.  Any pointers for my level 7 province?  Or do I have the right idea abandoning it and retaking it afterward?

So just for fun, this tax season I decided to set the tax rate at 100%, then give aid immediately for about half my monetary gains (about $500).  The wealth loss was minimal, and the loyalty rates actually got HIGHER than they were when I set the tax 😆  I'd obviously have a much stronger army if I had known that early on, but now that I do, I'm totally gonna milk that cow...because after selling most of the production I raked in, my money problems will be pretty much solved.  Also managed to take one of my eastern border provinces, giving me my first "safe" territory (no enemies bordering it).   Since Kenshin Uesugi, my northern foe, is pretty strong in his capital, and high rank to boot, I'm going to focus on expanding south into the Hojo territory, as he's significantly weaker at this point, and then work my way around the southern edge of Japan.  From that point I should be able to extend my safe area, and focus on taking out Uesugi, before sweeping through the northern portion and working southwest toward Oda.  I probably won't have the levels to take Nobunaga down at that point, but at least I'll be progressing through the map and can chip away at his defences.  So yeah, Shingen is starting to progress nicely!

Esper dream is finished. This game was a doozy, mostly because i played the original untranslated one which has a ton of Japanese, which i can't read.

That said, this is an interesting and fun game with great graphics and sound, and fortunately if you grind enough or get the best equipment, you don't need to be too amazing at mashing. Definitely a good candidate for a turbo controller to save your hand or kill the bosses at lower levels. That is, of course, if your personal or contest goals allow you to use one. For my part, my right hand is killing me

EsperDream.jpg

I played Esper Dream 2 a few years when there were Famicom games on this challenge. That was a damn good action RPG. I'll have to try the first one someday.

And Sesame Street: Countdown is done, and so am I for the night. But I wanted to get one more quick one in so that I could go over 400 points for the year. I am still the only player in the points era to hit the 400 mark in every year. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has ever hit 400 points in this challenge and finished lower than 3rd place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I haven't really found a quick way to grind the levels, but since it's my first time ever playing it, I kinda wanna play it normally.  Any pointers for my level 7 province?  Or do I have the right idea abandoning it and retaking it afterward?

Yeah just bail out and you can retake it at whatever higher level you get it back at (if I remember correctly)

If you are curious about the ping ponging way to level up quickly, a couple of maniacs posted speedruns to youtube.