IGNORED

5 screw Mario/duck hunt/world class track meet

tarouza

Hi, I’m new and trying to help a friend our. A friend of mine picked up this in a lot, I was trying to help him find any info on it. I feel like either he got something rare or perhaps the best label transfer I have ever seen. It looks like a legitimate 5 screw case but this does not appear on any of the variant lists for 5 screw  

B8FC3F08-59D3-4EA8-AD29-71B2C5A2568C.jpeg

C91830F6-1632-4B00-B226-C102BA502CB8.jpeg

E65AA15B-AF04-4AD3-8087-0780FBBB8459.jpeg

• Wow! 1

Well if the ROM says 1988 in theory it's possible it was like some of those other aggravatingly unconfirmed nightmare one offs in these shells.  If anyone would have a bit of a better chance having old plastic of that type would be Nintendo whether this was one off, or something sent back as it was thrashed and they applied a new sticker for then to the plastic.  I can't see how that is a label transfer of such quality, possible yes...probable...no.  Right now it's a matter of work if it's possible because once you rule out anything that is impossible, you're just left with what is (and we could be staring at it.)

41 minutes ago, RH said:

The ROMs say 8832.

Also looks like it says WH when the code is WM no? Picture is blurry on mobile 

edit: never mind, looked at mine. The other possibility is the ROM date code is wrong or out of order. According to this the ROM is 2 years older than the game itself lol

no clue

Edited by a3quit4s

• 11 months later...

First step beyond what's here, I think, would be getting it next to a couple of standard copies and putting a good magnifying glass to the label to see if it's possible to determine beyond a shadow of a doubt that the label is in fact authentic...

EDIT: Also, not sure who's still paying attention to this thread and who's not, but: Does anyone know what the assembly line number on the back label is if in fact there is one?

Also, can anyone state definitively if the screws are security or flathead?  They look flathead to me but it's difficult to tell from the pic.

Edited by PII

Those are some early chip date codes for SMB/DH/WCTM. Possibly the earliest I know of really.

The newest chip on the entire board has a code of 8831 would be week 31 of 1988, so somewhere between July 30 - August 9, 1988.

Rule of thumb is add 3 weeks to the latest possible fabrication date and that's your estimated shelf date. If the latest possible fab date is August 9, 1988 then that puts a rough shelf date of August 30, 1988.

Also, look at the shell code. B-3...Those are shells that were manufactured in 1985! Off the shelf leftover parts? Very interesting 🙂

12 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Those are some early chip date codes for SMB/DH/WCTM. Possibly the earliest I know of really.

The newest chip on the entire board has a code of 8831 would be week 31 of 1988, so somewhere between July 30 - August 9, 1988.

Rule of thumb is add 3 weeks to the latest possible fabrication date and that's your estimated shelf date. If the latest possible fab date is August 9, 1988 then that puts a rough shelf date of August 30, 1988.

Also, look at the shell code. B-3...Those are shells that were manufactured in 1985! Off the shelf leftover parts? Very interesting 🙂

Possible that the chip dates are correct but the NES-WH-0 line was added on after flashing the game to the chip? It’s more apparent on the CHR chip but the font is bolder and more oddly spaced compared to the other chip. Something about both chips just seems off. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 2:50 PM, cordwainer1453 said:

I had one of these a few years ago. I sold it on ebay. I think there was a post a few months back on the same game as well. So there definitely are a few out there.

Were you aware it was a variant? What did you sell it for?

13 minutes ago, DK said:

Were you aware it was a variant? What did you sell it for?

it didn't sell for that much actually, like $80- I wasn't really sure if it was real or a label swap and mentioned that in the ebay listing. Since a couple more have been found, I think it may have been real now though. This was like 5 years go.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:45 PM, cordwainer1453 said:

it didn't sell for that much actually, like $80- I wasn't really sure if it was real or a label swap and mentioned that in the ebay listing. Since a couple more have been found, I think it may have been real now though. This was like 5 years go.

Well yes, 5 years ago I remember people buying sealed SMW´s for 100-200 dollars.

I´m the owner of this cart, it´s taken me years to find one with all the correct details, dates and data, it all adds up, label, pcb, shell. There´s of course some minor damage due to its age and being "loose", but no signs of foul play on it. Might be open to offers or trades though.

• Wow! 1