IGNORED

Heads-up warning: eBay now requiring a Photo ID

I had what I thought were going to be my last listings ending tonight, and in between some of them I suddenly received another email from eBay claiming that they aren't able to verify me and that all my money will be held until I upload a Photo ID. I assumed it was a scam email, but then it also turned up in my eBay messages. Turns out that this is a real thing, even though it looks like a phishing email.

I don't know if some invisible to me payment threshold was crossed and it triggered this in their system, but the timing couldn't have been worse. It's inexcusable for this to happen right in the middle of my listings ending. So, I had to cancel all the orders and refund a bunch of money and eat a good amount in fees, along with wasting my buyers time and having them wait several business days to get their money back.

For them to require this out of the blue, and during the Holiday season, is unconscionable. Aside from the danger of uploading that kind of information, they don't actually need it, as just two days ago I got a payout from them without issue. And because I will never upload that kind of information to them, I will no longer be selling on eBay. I hope nobody else here will be screwed by this, but I post this to serve as a heads-up just in case.

Googling it reveals that others have also been hit by this:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/No-Ebay-you-will-not-get-a-copy-of-my-identity-card/td-p/31948818

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/requiring-photo-ID-despite-excellent-and-long-ebay-track-record/td-p/30931202

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/EBAY-UNABLE-TO-VERIFY-MY-IDENTITY-AFTER-22-YEARS-SO-KEEPS-MY/td-p/31335502

• Angry 3

Here's an attached screenshot of the offending message, just so others reading this know what to expect. The way it's phrased makes it really seem bogus, and it isn't even grammatically correct. It's also very vague, and fails to specify what else might be required and what the ominous "further restrictions" would entail.

Screenshot_20211218-204909.png

This has been in play for my country since the start of the year. I think it was because they’re now collecting the payments instead of PayPal so by law they have to get ID from users to help combat fraud. I was able to provide my drivers license.

I’m not a fan of it but the alternative is to not sell on eBay and unfortunately they still have the biggest reach for most types of goods.

• Agree 2

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, Gloves said:

Same, though they (WealthSimple) waived the requirement for me since I lack a valid photo ID.

How do you not have valid ID?  And how does a legal requirement just get waived for your lazy ass?  Canadiens. 🙄

Gloves goes to catch a flight.  

Security:  Please have your ID ready.

Gloves:  Sorry, I am lacking.

Security:  Oh, it's cool.  We'll just waive the requirement.  Carry on.  Good day, eh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

How do you not have valid ID?  And how does a legal requirement just get waived for your lazy ass?  Canadiens. 🙄

Security:  Oh, it's cool.  We'll just waive the requirement.  Carry on.  Good day, eh!

It's pretty easy to avoid common human processes and procedures when your neckbeard, hipster-ass only leaves the gentle glow of your computer monitor once or twice a year!

Pretty sure last time @Gloves actually LEFT the house was sometime during the Obama administration! 😛

• Haha 3

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, OptOut said:

It's pretty easy to avoid common human processes and procedures when your neckbeard, hipster-ass only leaves the gentle glow of your computer monitor once or twice a year!

Pretty sure last time @Gloves actually LEFT the house was sometime during the Obama administration! 😛

I've no clue how you've managed to spy on me from all the way over in Taiwan, but I'd like you to stop.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, OptOut said:

Someone has been teaching me how to hack... 😏

Gloves must be using chinese sourced goods, you and your CCP hacking skills taking over the world.  Spying on him as a warm up as a light test of what will go into you turning coat on the country of Taiwan for your CCP masters. 😄

Oh and something to consider, photo ID on ebay is an intrusion and inherently bullshit and utterly fakeable, therefore useless.  With the tech in the last few years with deepfakes in particular, how exactly are they really going to prove each image uploaded is infact YOU and not doctored or an utterly manufactured fake face?  Computer won't pick that up, not well, definitely not reliably.  And do you think the company who now is too cheap and cowardly to have an incoming phone number published are going to hire on thousands of human checkers to research and verify each face image as legit?  I think not.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:28 AM, JamesRobot said:

He just showed them his Tim Hortons loyalty card and a fresh beaver pelt, and they called it good.

• Haha 4