IGNORED

So who's ready for PS5 to become the next "cover collectors" nightmare? :P

koifish

I read the news today (oh boy), that PS5 is now going to be receiving official "system covers", which appear to be like the cover plates that nintendo made for the New 3DS (non-XL); They wrap around the console/replace some other plastic part on the console body, and give it a new look. In the reveal trailer below, they demonstrate 5 new system colors that can be had through these covers. These are five solid colors, but I see no reason why future versions couldn't have patterns or designs on them akin to LEs or Collector's Edition consoles.

Those who are obsessive like I am about 3DS hardware will likely know that the N3DS plates became quite rare and valuable over the years, due to a strong mixture of limited sales numbers and general "cool factor". Certain plates are presently selling for several hundred dollars a set, and a few extremely rare plates, such as those given away for contests or as tournament prizes, are all but mythical.

The whole thing has me thinking, how likely is it that PS5 will go the same way, and start getting rare and highly desirable console covers that end up going sky-high in value later on? When I started this thread, I was feeling very much that they would, but now, writing further, I am not totally convinced. The PS5 itself is still mythical, and we don't know if Sony will keep making the same model for very long, or if they will move on to a redesign/upgraded system at some point, either to keep up with a possible updated Xbox, or to make the boxes easier/cheaper to manufacture. I would guess that they will keep the same body for longer than usual due to the massive issues they have had with manufacturing putting a huge damper on their production, but we will have to see what they do in the years to come.

The other doubt in my mind is that accessories for this model will eventually become "old accessories", as the standard has been set rather clearly by PS4 Pro to expect more frequent console upgrades, or because PS6 will one day replace PS5 and likely be little more than a powered up PS5, and thus compatible with all of the PS5 games. Will system covers still be desirable if the PS5 is replaced by another model? We have seen similar fates for the Xbox 360 faceplates, though that feature was perhaps just underutilized more than anything.

That is significant to me here because sony lacks the benefit of the Nintendo Tax when it comes to long-term value and collectability. "Nintendo Tax" here simply meaning that, for whatever reason, Nintendo hardware and software enjoys long-term popularity and clearly higher prices in the "retro/vintage" market. We have seen this for enough years now to know, Nintendo products reliably grow expensive as they grow old, to a degree that classic hardware from other makers has never really matched. It isn't here nor there to discuss the reason for this, more to simply point it out as a difference maker. While they never seemed to be very well embraced, the Xbox 360 also had decorative plates which one could buy, and those, barring maybe a few unique or rare ones, are not, to my knowledge, in huge demand or considered highly valuable/collectible/etc. It is possible that PS5 will be the same way due to the nature of long-term value on sony hardware.

Anyway, I've rambled on, curious to hear what your thoughts are about this. Personally, I think this would help them a lot to manage supply chain issues will still offering people a way to get a unique color. Hopefully they work with disc and digital versions of the console, lest that become another nightmare for the future collector.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Is there an MSRP yet? I wanna just guess $30

I don't think there is one yet. It's also news to me that replacement covers have been a thing for a while now, as it seems some 3rd party companies already noticed that the existing white covers are removable and have made their own replacements. This company even has been involved in a publicity stunt with Sony over it.

https://dbrand.com/shop/special-edition/ps5

Their covers cost 60 dollars and are made in limited stock. I would be shocked if Sony's covers are more than that price, but wouldn't be surprised if they are close, say, 50 dollars. Selling two pieces of plastic for 50 bucks is a nice way to make some easy money after all. We'll have to see what happens there I guess.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, koifish said:

I don't think there is one yet. It's also news to me that replacement covers have been a thing for a while now, as it seems some 3rd party companies already noticed that the existing white covers are removable and have made their own replacements. This company even has been involved in a publicity stunt with Sony over it.

https://dbrand.com/shop/special-edition/ps5

Their covers cost 60 dollars and are made in limited stock. I would be shocked if Sony's covers are more than that price, but wouldn't be surprised if they are close, say, 50 dollars. Selling two pieces of plastic for 50 bucks is a nice way to make some easy money after all. We'll have to see what happens there I guess.

The console covers are available to pre-order direct from Sony, priced at $54.99.

https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/coming-soon

• Thanks 2

Nice find @Mr. CIB, a bit expensive for plastic plates IMO but well, such is life. 

I'm agreeing with most everyone in this thread, that these are some nice shades. Guess that means I was right to worry after all... 😅

4 hours ago, fox said:

Where is my yellow/gold controller/covers?  I’m holding out for that or a PS1 gray.

They made a 20th anniversary PS1-themed PS4, but they skipped the 25th it seems, so sadly we might miss out on that since the console could be replaced with an upgraded version by 2024.

As long as we're talking about 90s designs, they should make teal covers! I could also see them partnering with sports teams to make LE covers. I bet covers for major EU football clubs would sell well given the playstation is basically synonymous with FIFA in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Social Team · Posted
On 12/15/2021 at 7:48 PM, drxandy said:

Is there an MSRP yet? I wanna just guess $30

$54.99 https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/accessories/accessory/ps5-console-covers-cosmic-red.1000029750 Had it been $30 I could see getting all the colors as that would be pretty cool.  I seriouly doubt the covers will have long term value.  The color controllers on the other hand could.  I could see the PS5 being like the N64 where people want a full set of the colors.  But the color controllers are $74.99 too.   

I kinda expect that the PSVR 2 will have color swap able plates too.  But looking at the existing PSVR headset that isn't viable as so many of the white parts wouldn't be swappable.  And I SERIOUSLY doubt they will sell whole headsets separately.  MAYBE they will make two color variants but I don't think it makes sense to do that due to the low amount of units that will be sold.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
On 12/16/2021 at 9:15 AM, fox said:

Where is my yellow/gold controller/covers?  I’m holding out for that or a PS1 gray.

Yeah....PS1 gray will 100% happen.  I will say Sony was smart to make the covers swappable as that is just easy money.  I am surprised with the initial theme/colors they went with.  I'd like if they would keep the color count low so that I can potentially collect them all.  I do hope there are some collector edition games that come with PS5 covers.  Not a whole console edition.  I know with Kingdom Hearts in Japan they did this with the PS4.  I think they didn't get a console edition but just the cover plate and the US got a console edition but no cover plate version.

Edited by FireHazard51

4 minutes ago, spacepup said:

If I had a machine to put these on, I might consider getting the purple.  I'm normally not into buying these types of accessories, but I don't care for the white, and the purple is quite pretty.

Now, to get a PS5 first...

I'm the same way.  Normally I wouldn't care about this stuff, but if and when I decided to get a PS5, I will probably get the black just to make it match my previous PS consoles.  And of course, that's assuming there isn't an all black version available by then.  

Social Team · Posted
32 minutes ago, spacepup said:

If I had a machine to put these on, I might consider getting the purple.  I'm normally not into buying these types of accessories, but I don't care for the white, and the purple is quite pretty.

Now, to get a PS5 first...

https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAFRoc-ABPD4N5e99ZQ Their "chat room" help me get my PS5.  I did join Walmart's Plus projgram for a month to get eligible for my PS5 purchase from Walmart but that was hella cheaper than Best Buy's $200 program to be able to buy a PS5.  I got like 4 hour notice before the website would have the PS5 in stock.  I don't see how this isn't the way you'll need to go as stock seems to be forever limited with supply chain issues.  I did have a friend casually walk into GameStop on their lunch break and pick up TWO PS5s but I'd say that is a rarity.

I still think there isn't any big rush to get a PS5 unless you need to replace your PS4 or you are REALLY wanting to buy Horizon when it comes out because that will be the first great game on PS5.  Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was totally fun and good storyline but I can see how that isn't enough for people to buy a console alone.

On 12/16/2021 at 12:21 PM, koifish said:

They made a 20th anniversary PS1-themed PS4, but they skipped the 25th it seems, so sadly we might miss out on that since the console could be replaced with an upgraded version by 2024.

I missed out on the PS1 themed PS4, but did pick up one of the controllers.  Love it.

canvas.png

• Like 1