IGNORED

I am about to lose a bunch of money

Put up some items for auction and I seriously doubt I'll make money here. I was expecting something close to market value, but it looks like some of these mght just go for 0.99$

How come when I check out an auction it ends up exploding past price charting? Is everyone shill bidding?

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/for_the_hoard/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

I tried to unload a bunch of stuff (not gaming related) earlier this year and had a really hard time getting anyone to bid anything even with $0.01 starting bids.  I sold a few things for way less then what my time is worth and decided to call it quits.  

For what it's worth, I would have bid on that PS1 game if I didn't have it already.  

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Gloves said:

Are you in advertising? Lol. 

No, but I do have a nee bunch of auctions running now.

15 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I tried to unload a bunch of stuff (not gaming related) earlier this year and had a really hard time getting anyone to bid anything even with $0.01 starting bids.  I sold a few things for way less then what my time is worth and decided to call it quits.  

For what it's worth, I would have bid on that PS1 game if I didn't have it already.  

Yeah. I have decent feedback and I sell about 20 gameS per week, so I don’t think it’s a problem with visibility.

And then when I follow auctions they _always_ end high, truly I wonder.

14 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

People see the Global Shipping Program and just move to the next item.
Also shipping within the USA is probably $5 and shipping from Canada is more like $40.

I don’t do GSP. Direct shipping with CanadaPost/USPS. I only ship to the US with tracking so it’s $20 CAD but that’s still better than GSP.

10 hours ago, Gloves said:

I got outbid on The Warriors. 😧

That was me. You can’t have it.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Looks like I missed the previous ones, but the $20 shipping fee is probably pushing a bunch of people away.

Sadly it's a very realistic shipping fee. On low margin items like this anyone on ebay in Canada isn't like to make many sales to those abroad.

5 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

And then when I follow auctions they _always_ end high, truly I wonder.

I have the same problem, for whatever that's worth. And if I sell anything it doesn't get many bids. I follow the whole formula. Clear pictures, specific description, end in prime time on Sunday evening, but nope.

10 hours ago, broncofantd793 said:

It's the shipping. $5 plus $5 in shipping will never sell. $10 with free shipping will sell. People have the Amazon Prime mentality. Shipping better be free, and it better be here in under 48 hours.

I hate to say it, but I've seen people literally admit that they would rather pay $30 with free shipping for an item than $20 plus $5 shipping for the EXACT SAME item simply because of the "principle" of not paying for shipping.  

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 2

15 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I hate to say it, but I've seen people literally admit that they would rather pay $30 with free shipping for an item than $20 plus $5 shipping for the EXACT SAME item simply because of the "principle" of not paying for shipping.  

Which is extremely sad and petty. I'd rather pay a huge shipping charge on eBay since that means the seller pays less in fees, essentially sticking it to the man. Unfortunately, my bidding competitors seem to completely ignore the shipping cost and I rarely win those items. 🤦‍♂️

59 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Which is extremely sad and petty. I'd rather pay a huge shipping charge on eBay since that means the seller pays less in fees, essentially sticking it to the man. Unfortunately, my bidding competitors seem to completely ignore the shipping cost and I rarely win those items. 🤦‍♂️

eBay cut this out a few years back. They get paid and charge tax on shipping. All in the same now

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

eBay cut this out a few years back. They get paid and charge tax on shipping. All in the same now

Yup. $20 sold they tac on the 8% tax and figure their 12.55 % off that total that applies to the original $20 then the $0.30 listing fee (that they keep if you get a non payer).

$20 + 8% = $21.60

12.55 % of $21.60 ($2.71) is taken from the $20 = $17.29 - $0.30 list fee = $17.00 -shipping = net

do they tax both buyer and seller? 

I recon the casuals who make more than $600 a year selling online but dont make a living off it will no longer use the resource?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Yup. $20 sold they tac on the 8% tax and figure their 12.55 % off that total that applies to the original $20 then the $0.30 listing fee (that they keep if you get a non payer).

$20 + 8% = $21.60

12.55 % of $21.60 ($2.71) is taken from the $20 = $17.29 - $0.30 list fee = $17.00 -shipping = net

do they tax both buyer and seller? 

I recon the casuals who make more than $600 a year selling online but dont make a living off it will no longer use the resource?

Whaaaaa? They closed the shipping loophole? You'd think I'd know this since I sold like 100 games last year. Jerks.

Edited by DoctorEncore

On 12/11/2021 at 12:21 PM, Code Monkey said:

How did you turn off the Global Shipping Program?

See picture. Go with "I don't know the details" and then you're free to select a shipping service from the list and write your own price. 

On 12/11/2021 at 1:30 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Yeah, that sucks. You guys lose such a huge potential audience in the US for lower-value items.

Shipping from US to Canada is even more expensive.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:19 PM, broncofantd793 said:

It's the shipping. $5 plus $5 in shipping will never sell. $10 with free shipping will sell. People have the Amazon Prime mentality. Shipping better be free, and it better be here in under 48 hours.

You'd think that, but I feel like ebay is the place for collector items and amazon for utility. I'd imagine the majority of people here are quite familiar with the workings of ebay.

IMG_5637[1].PNG

On 12/11/2021 at 1:23 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Looks like I missed the previous ones, but the $20 shipping fee is probably pushing a bunch of people away.

That's $20 CAD, so $15-16 USD which seems fair for tracked/insured shipping. In Canada I offer $5 lettermail and $15 tracked/insured.

On 12/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, Gloves said:

Sadly it's a very realistic shipping fee. On low margin items like this anyone on ebay in Canada isn't like to make many sales to those abroad.

I still offer everyting to the US buyers, even $1 Atari carts.  It happens every once in a while that someone buys a cheap item with $20 shipping. Plus buyers might be tempted to get more items to combine or what have you.