IGNORED

Pixel art from 1993(old memories from an old gamer)

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted

When I was a wee lad at the ripe old age of 10, my mother made my brother and I a cake for our birthdays!  You can see my brother is 5 years older than me!  Thought I would share.  Obviously my mom wasn't the best artist, but she drew it out and worked with what she had!

https://imgur.com/a/fT892bZ

Have anything like this to share?  Feel free to do so in this thread!

• Like 10
  • Love 3

• The title was changed to Pixel art from 1993(old memories from an old gamer)

Very cool! My mother was always bit artsy/craftsy. Because I didn't really have any posters to hang on my walls as a kid, my mother would help me create wall hangings by drawing video game and cartoon characters onto plywood and then cut them out with dad's skill saw and paint them. I had a Mega Man, Racoon Mario, 7-Up Spot and a few others I can't remember. Aren't moms great? 🙂

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, MegaMan52 said:

Cool Mega Man cakes, Jeeves!

I really like that the picture on the Mega Man and Rush cake is based on this (or maybe the Nintendo Power version of the picture):

mm3manualpicture.jpg.1bd608cb32c9f818106e43db31ac3e1b.jpg

Im pretty sure she used my brothers nintendo power 😉  

17 minutes ago, Link said:

David? WTF? I thought your name was Jeevan! I feel so betrayed...

I am the other one 😉  

33 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

maybe this one @MegaMan52 ?  

51-fKPQ0zgL.jpg

I can't seem to find a full on image of him and rush from nintendo power, but maybe there is one?  Or maybe she used multiple pictures, not totally sure, but i know we had that issue as a kid growing up.

Yeah, I remember reading that issue. I'm glad they used the more cartoony/Japanese-style Mega Man pictures in 1993, because in that issue there they used this instead: 

Megaman-8.jpg

But even so, that was always one of my favorite issues of Nintendo Power for the fact that the Mega Man 3 coverage was like 20 pages.

Edit: Since you had that cake in 1993 and Mega Man and Rush are facing right, your Mom might've drawn this version of the picture from the January 1993 issue: 

npmagazinejan1993.jpg.782de5898d533114157fb63cd00d0025.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Them freehand MM cakes are totally rad, Jeeves.

I miss the character shape-cake fad of the 80s.  Looks like that Donald Duck is probably one.  Mom had a tin that doubled as a Batman/Superman.  And my aunt had a whole wall of tinsel she hung in her kitchen.  My favorite birthday cake ever was the Garfield one that had plastic eyes your set on the cake after it was frosted.

Edit: Found it.  Fell down an internet hole for a minute: Vintage Wilton character cake pans.  Might be asking for this for my bday next year. 

91vAD5bYcVL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Love 3

Events Helper · Posted
18 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Them freehand MM cakes are totally rad, Jeeves.

I miss the character shape-cake fad of the 80s.  Looks like that Donald Duck is probably one.  Mom had a tin that doubled as a Batman/Superman.  And my aunt had a whole wall of tinsel she hung in her kitchen.  My favorite birthday cake ever was the Garfield one that had plastic eyes your set on the cake after it was frosted.

Edit: Found it.  Fell down an internet hole for a minute: Vintage Wilton character cake pans.  Might be asking for this for my bday next year. 

91vAD5bYcVL._AC_SX569_.jpg

I remember going to a local shop where they had tables of these pans.  I got to choose which one I wanted lol.  

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
On 12/6/2021 at 9:58 PM, MegaMan52 said:

Yeah, I remember reading that issue. I'm glad they used the more cartoony/Japanese-style Mega Man pictures in 1993, because in that issue there they used this instead: 

Megaman-8.jpg

But even so, that was always one of my favorite issues of Nintendo Power for the fact that the Mega Man 3 coverage was like 20 pages.

Edit: Since you had that cake in 1993 and Mega Man and Rush are facing right, your Mom might've drawn this version of the picture from the January 1993 issue: 

npmagazinejan1993.jpg.782de5898d533114157fb63cd00d0025.jpg

that's probably the one buddy!  I remember that issue too!