IGNORED

Music Debate #130: Black Sabbath

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

9/10 

First or second most influential band in the world of metal(you can make the argument for Judas Priest, as far as metal is concerned, they are interchangable). The leader and founder of NWOBHM. They transcend heavy metal and put an absolute stamp on pop culture as well, a torch that solo Ozzy eventually ran away with. As heralded as Black Sabbath is, I would even argue how underrated they are. They are a complete band of amazing musicians and not just a vehicle for Ozzy. We all know how great Iommi is, but Bill Ward and Geezer Butler are incredible instrumentalists in their own right. While they don't get the perfect 10 from me, just by virtue of probably not being in my favorite 20 bands or so, giving them any less than a 9 is just unacceptable for me. 

Oh BTW, It may be controversial, but I give Sabbath with Dio the slight edge over Sabbath with Ozzy. Though they differentiated themselves by renaming themselves Heaven and Hell to avoid fan confusion of the two eras.

• Like 1

With banger after banger, these guys just knew how to write music that made you feel something: amped, pensive, thoughtful, melancholy, angry...all of it. They were very influential for me in my early music career; I even learned how to play harmonica because of The Wizard.

Every time I've done a show, I'll get several people telling me that my singing voice and range is a dead ringer for Ozzy's which is always humbling. Dio was a brilliant vocalist whose voice it was a pleasure to discover.

Wicked band, legends all.

• Like 1