IGNORED

5-Screw NES Klashball

NES.God

Hello, I just recently started selling a few items and got into a discussion with someone about 5 screw variants. I have a copy of Klashball which perhaps shouldn't exist as a 5 screw cartridge. I did make a post on NA about it, but I guess that site is gone now, I believe the general consensus was that this must be a repair or refurbishment. Anyways are there any comps to this for pricing? Or if anyone has any more information on my cartridge that would be very welcomed!

klashball.jpg

Klashback.jpg

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

Edited by NES.God
  • Like 1

Any chance we can see the back sticker and the board? I’m not sure if it’s the angle but the front sticker locks odd at the top left. I’m also not sure if the lighting or something is throwing me off but that label looks wrong. I’m going to agree with a rehousing job. 

Edited by a3quit4s

Added a picture of the back. I will add PCB and another picture tomorrow

You say the label was removed, Can you tell me how or why someone would have done this?

This item has been in my collection for over 20 years and wasnt purchased as a variant.

Edited by NES.God

2 hours ago, NES.God said:

Added a picture of the back. I will add PCB and other another picture tomorrow

You say the label was removed, Can you tell me how or why someone would have done this?

This item has been in my collection for over 20 years and wasnt purchased as a variant.

So they can laugh when the buyer posts pictures of it on an internet forum bragging about it. Hypothetically.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

So they can laugh when the buyer posts pictures of it on an internet forum bragging about it. Hypothetically.

While I can see how that might be the case now, I doubt that was happening 20 years ago when no one (myself included) cared or knew much about 5 screw carts. My question should have been Is there any legitimate reason this could have been re-cased?

1 minute ago, NES.God said:

While I can see how that might be the case now, I doubt that was happening 20 years ago when no one (myself included) cared or knew much about 5 screw carts. My question should have been Is there any legitimate reason this could have been re-cased?

As a more serious reply, I actually agree with you, it's very unlikely this would have been done 20 years ago. It is possible the label only appears to have been removed and this is actually a legitimate cartridge but opening it up and looking at the board will tell us that right away.

Virtually a zero chance it ever came assembled like that from the factory. This is *years* after the transition from 5-screw to 3-screw. I have a hard time accepting R.C. Pro-Am as a legitimate 5-screw release and that has three known confirmed cartridges.

Anything is possible, but this is out of the scope of reality and with a label in that shape I have a hard time believing it can be factory original.

50 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Virtually a zero chance it ever came assembled like that from the factory. This is *years* after the transition from 5-screw to 3-screw.

I am not expecting this to be a valuable game. I got this game in a large lot of games around 2000, and I can accept that it likely did not come from the factory like this. It just doesn't make any sense for this game to be assembled like it is. Is/was it feasible to pull off a label and stick it onto another cartridge relatively neatly? Or would this have been done as an official repair.

Edited by NES.God

There is a chance someone really, really liked this game, the case was cracked/damaged, so they ripped it to shreds to get the board out, then took a cheap 5-screw game and put it in there AND transferred the label with a hot gun.

5-screws don't use security bits (which I'm sure you all know) so maybe it was a homemade repair job as a labor of love?

39 minutes ago, NES.God said:

a case of Sachens?

sachen.jpg

!!! Yes that !!!

What do I need to do, to get it. I’ll say your Klashball is a totally legit variant and we all need to rush to find one 😂

All seriousness, that thing is my white whale. That, and a Myriad 6 in 1 box and cart to go with my manual.

In regards to the topic, I can probably figure out a way to demonstrate how to transfer a label. But then everyone will know how to do it.

It can be done relatively easy if you know how, with skill it can be undetectable too. and that’s all I’ll say on the subject.

4 hours ago, NES.God said:

I am not expecting this to be a valuable game. I got this game in a large lot of games around 2000, and I can accept that it likely did not come from the factory like this. It just doesn't make any sense for this game to be assembled like it is. Is/was it feasible to pull off a label and stick it onto another cartridge relatively neatly? Or would this have been done as an official repair.

Sometimes people do weird things.  Someone (as im positive was fake) tried to pull off a 5 screw MTPO with a famicom converter, even though every famicom converter fits perfectly with the middle NES screw and MTPO is too big, so you cant even screw in the middle screw.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:02 AM, Foochie776 said:

If this does prove to be authentic it’s kind of odd because most (if not all of these) oddball 5 screw carts are missing the back label. Also most are Konami 

Yes. This tends to be a Konami/Ultra oddity only,  so the back label here isn't surprising since it wouldn't be a Konami referb

I mean, it could easily be a refurb. There's a long discussion about things like this in the variant thread, but left over 5 screw shells used for repair seem to be a real thing.  I wouldn't discount it as such, and probably makes at least as much sense as a collector swapping the label. 

It wouldn't have been done by a machine at a repair center, hence the janky look. Most konami/ultra 5 screws have peeling labels and it's not because of someone transferring labels in their garage (at least, it wouldn't have been 5 years ago).