IGNORED

SOLVED!: Old CRT only has 2 RCA ports…

croagunk

2 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

You would be fine with just yellow and white.  It sounds like the TV doesn't have stereo speakers and you only need one of the plugs for audio. My only remaining CRT is like this and works fine.

Hmm… it won’t display the game at all. Perhaps the TV itself is broken. Thanks for your help!

4 minutes ago, croagunk said:

Hmm… it won’t display the game at all. Perhaps the TV itself is broken. Thanks for your help!

Does the console just use two rca cables into the back as well?  If so try swapping them.  I've had times where I accidently ran the video cord into the audio input on the TV.  Worth a try before tossing the tv.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Does the console just use two rca cables into the back as well?  If so try swapping them.  I've had times where I accidently ran the video cord into the audio input on the TV.  Worth a try before tossing the tv.

The console has all three. I’ve tried swapping the colors around. I’ve only now just managed to get sound, which is odd. No picture. I’m thinking it’s the TV.

It's probably the TV, based on what you're saying.  As far as the audio is concerned, though, should you end up in a situation like that again and happen to be using a console that definitely outputs different signals on the red and white outputs, you can buy a Y cable that's 2 female inputs and 1 male output to combine the two channels into one to feed into a mono RCA input device.  I'd try Amazon or eBay as for picking up such a cable, as the ones that I've got were sourced long, long ago from Radio Shack and unless you're in one of a handful of small towns in the US, that's basically impossible these days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

It's probably the TV, based on what you're saying.  As far as the audio is concerned, though, should you end up in a situation like that again and happen to be using a console that definitely outputs different signals on the red and white outputs, you can buy a Y cable that's 2 female inputs and 1 male output to combine the two channels into one to feed into a mono RCA input device.  I'd try Amazon or eBay as for picking up such a cable, as the ones that I've got were sourced long, long ago from Radio Shack and unless you're in one of a handful of small towns in the US, that's basically impossible these days.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks!

6 hours ago, croagunk said:

So I was hoping I could use an old CRT to play retro games on. I went to plug in my RetroDuo and the TV only has yellow and white, no red. I was wondering if anyone knows of an adapter or something to make it work? Thanks in advance!

There is in fact a Y adapter you can use for just that.  They even make ones that work the other way...for example if you're using an original front loader NES using the red/yellow hookups on its side, but your TV had the red/white/yellow plugs, you can use a Y adapter that works the other way...that is, so sound can come out of both TV speakers and not just one or the other.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Estil said:

There is in fact a Y adapter you can use for just that.  They even make ones that work the other way...for example if you're using an original front loader NES using the red/yellow hookups on its side, but your TV had the red/white/yellow plugs, you can use a Y adapter that works the other way...that is, so sound can come out of both TV speakers and not just one or the other.

Generally speaking the Y adapters we're all talking about are bidirectional (unless specifically stated otherwise on the package, but then you'd see a lump or box or something on it instead of just the cabling and ends), so you basically just need some gender changers on hand to make sure that your cable will work with whatever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, croagunk said:

Officially on the hunt for a new old TV. Hopefully I can find one locally for a good price. Thanks for your help, everyone!

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but where we live and the larger area around it, beyond third party thrift shops, the Salvation Army are the only place that still accepts CRTS, so if you're wanting to shop for an older TV, I'd make that the top priority for checking.  I've ended up with several from there over the past few years, including a 36" RCA set that will do up to 480p via composite but still supports lightguns perfectly and has multiple composite, component, and s-video inputs, a flat tube Sony Trinitron, and even a Lightning McQueen molded set for the kids which has a couple of composite inputs, each for $20 or less.  Good luck!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to SOLVED!: Old CRT only has 2 RCA ports…
4 hours ago, croagunk said:

I’m fine with just the composite. I think it has the option, though.

If it has the option, though, it really does make a difference for systems that support it (SNES, N64, GameCube, etc.).  The difference isn't amazing, but it is noticeable and makes things look that wee little bit better and is worth the $5-15 one time purchase for a decent cable to share between systems.  Should you ever want to give up on the CRT(s) but don't want to spend a lot of money, the RetroTink 2x Mini is a great option for making composite and s-video stuff (except the 32X) look great on a modern TV, lag free; you lose most light gun capability, but you can have everything hooked up to one set or play SMB in 4K without lag.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

If it has the option, though, it really does make a difference for systems that support it (SNES, N64, GameCube, etc.).  The difference isn't amazing, but it is noticeable and makes things look that wee little bit better and is worth the $5-15 one time purchase for a decent cable to share between systems.  Should you ever want to give up on the CRT(s) but don't want to spend a lot of money, the RetroTink 2x Mini is a great option for making composite and s-video stuff (except the 32X) look great on a modern TV, lag free; you lose most light gun capability, but you can have everything hooked up to one set or play SMB in 4K without lag.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind!